Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

TransPlant

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
TransPlant

I was looking at a local salvage yard today (Friend called me and said they had a cooper "S" there) I get there and I see a BRG "S" totally smashed from the back end. I start talking with the guy. The engine has only 24k on it and its a 2004. He said he will sell me the engine and transmisson for $3500. What would I need to do a transplant of a "S" engine into my cooper? Besides an "S" hood. Would my magnaflow exhaust work for the engine or no? This is just another one of my random ideas, sorry if you think in insane.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I think you'll find helpful info here

Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Thanks Drew, always coming to my aid!

Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtrem
Thanks Drew, always coming to my aid!
Well if it doesn't work out feel free to send me the 3.5k I'm sure I can put it too good use

Old 01-06-2007, 03:58 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, you're insane...

but that's a really good deal!

If everything lines up, which I think it would, its as "simple" as reading a Haynes or Bentley manual about removing a tranny and engine...then put the new one in. If it's the same year as yours, then everything might line up. You may have to use the S radiator and some other parts though. Good luck!!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Right now Im trying to weigh my options. Is it cheaper to sell my mini and buy an "S" already modded out or to fix mine up.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:00 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
That depends on how many miles you have! I know that my MC is worth about 14k according to the blue book for a trade in. Mine is a 2003 with 93k miles. Since yours is an 02, you may get less depending on the mileage. For the transplant, I was assume that it will cost about 1k more than the engine and tranny cost. Just incase you need some other parts. So if you can find a modded S for 4500 more than you get for your car, it would be worth it. But then, assuming that you will do it yourself, how much is the actual transplant work worth to you? For me, I get so much pride out of doing things myself, that I would lose that satisfaction of just buying a modded car.

But then, with the transplant, you would need a new exhaust...make sure you take the header with the engine! Bring some tools and just take everything that you can salvage from under the bonnet.

If I found a 220hp+ MCS for 18k with low mileage and in really good condition, I'd trade. But then, 3500 is a nice price for those parts! Plus you can use your car while you mod that engine if you wanted to. An engine out of a car is much easier to work on.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AliceCooperWA
That depends on how many miles you have! I know that my MC is worth about 14k according to the blue book for a trade in. Mine is a 2003 with 93k miles. Since yours is an 02, you may get less depending on the mileage. For the transplant, I was assume that it will cost about 1k more than the engine and tranny cost. Just incase you need some other parts. So if you can find a modded S for 4500 more than you get for your car, it would be worth it. But then, assuming that you will do it yourself, how much is the actual transplant work worth to you? For me, I get so much pride out of doing things myself, that I would lose that satisfaction of just buying a modded car.

But then, with the transplant, you would need a new exhaust...make sure you take the header with the engine! Bring some tools and just take everything that you can salvage from under the bonnet.

If I found a 220hp+ MCS for 18k with low mileage and in really good condition, I'd trade. But then, 3500 is a nice price for those parts! Plus you can use your car while you mod that engine if you wanted to. An engine out of a car is much easier to work on.
It really wouldnt be worth it to buy an "S" when I think about it. My 2002 only has 38.5k, But i had an accident two years ago and it was branded the dreaded "Salvaged". KBB on mine says $14,250. I figuere with the salvaged title Id be lucky to get 8-9k for it. I get a lot pride from doing the work myself. what type of exhaust would I need? My magnaflow wouldnt work?

Old 01-06-2007, 05:57 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I don't know for sure...it would work, but I'm sure there is a reason that they use a bigger dual exhaust. It could be too restrictive and a lot louder with the SC. Since your exhaust is much better than stock, it will probably work, but you may be losing a few hp. But like I said, try and get the header from the junk yard. It will help and hopefully it will be easy to connect to your magnaflow.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:37 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey...if you get the motor and trans...don't forget to at least ****** the ECU, ENGINE HARNESS and AXLES. You will need these parts and they can get really expensive if you neglect to remember this. I think that is pretty much it but if I remember anything else....I will hit you up.:impatient Oh...and your magnaflow should work and bolt up he same since it is the same engine.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:46 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Except for one thing, I'm not even sure if it matters, but the MC comes with an exhaust manifold, where the S comes with a header. Wouldn't he need to get the header or could the MC exhaust manifold just bolt on to the engine?

Oh...and don't forget to rent a Uhaul for all the crap you'll be hauling back from the salvage yard!

Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AliceCooperWA
Except for one thing, I'm not even sure if it matters, but the MC comes with an exhaust manifold, where the S comes with a header. Wouldn't he need to get the header or could the MC exhaust manifold just bolt on to the engine?

Oh...and don't forget to rent a Uhaul for all the crap you'll be hauling back from the salvage yard!
It's the same part.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad is the damage to the back end and should you decide not go through with it how much do you think they'll take for the whole car provided it hasn't been cherry picked for parts yet.....

I have been dying to find one cheap enough with body damage but no engine damage as I want to make one a 2 seat roadster what better way than with a screwed up one!

Also what is the deal with you having a salvage title? Just because you get into a wreck they give you a salvage title? Or was the car totalled by insurance and you bought it back? Just curious as I have had my share of accidents in the past and never had salvage added to the title. Maybe it's a CA thing and not in SC?

chris

Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
It wouldnt be worth it to fix it. the interior was stripped and the rear is beyond gone. The backseat looked like it was in the front seat. The engine is really the only thing intact. They arent allowed to sell the car ethier since it has a CA Junked title which means it can never be registered to be driven again. Yes I had to buy my car back. They totalled it for no real reason. I bought it from the state farms auction for 6k and I spent about 2k in parts and fixed it myself. They shouldnt have totalled it, the frame wasnt bent or anything. Just some damage to the rear hatch and the front was alittle damaged. Basically needed some new glass, hatch, bumpers, and some body work on the rear quater panel. I was able to get the parts for cheap because I have a friend who owns a body shop in Long Beach.

Originally Posted by CustomAV
How bad is the damage to the back end and should you decide not go through with it how much do you think they'll take for the whole car provided it hasn't been cherry picked for parts yet.....

I have been dying to find one cheap enough with body damage but no engine damage as I want to make one a 2 seat roadster what better way than with a screwed up one!

Also what is the deal with you having a salvage title? Just because you get into a wreck they give you a salvage title? Or was the car totalled by insurance and you bought it back? Just curious as I have had my share of accidents in the past and never had salvage added to the title. Maybe it's a CA thing and not in SC?

chris

Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
You would also need the battery from the S and the wiring harness to it if I'm not mistaken, since the S has the battery in the back, right? I doubt the exhaust is really an issue if you don't mind the single tailpipe you have now.

Should be interesting if you try it!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ProfessorDave
You would also need the battery from the S and the wiring harness to it if I'm not mistaken, since the S has the battery in the back, right? I doubt the exhaust is really an issue if you don't mind the single tailpipe you have now.

Should be interesting if you try it!
I dont have a problem with the single exhaust. IT will probably be a pain to relocate the battery, no?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Hmmm, I thought they had different manifolds...oops

Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
euro_tuned
1st Gear
extra fuel line

I believe the "S" has an extra fuel line so you have to look into that too. Good luck with your build. You might be looking at at least 5.5k before the labour which is still better than getting the "S"

Old 01-08-2007, 07:36 PM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by Jtrem
I dont have a problem with the single exhaust. IT will probably be a pain to relocate the battery, no?
I can't imagine why it would be that hard... Buy a racing battery box and attach it to where the spare tire used to be, and buy a kit to make your own leads...

Old 12-17-2007, 01:51 PM
candycane184
Neutral
I got my Magnaflow 15976 at MagnaflowPlanet.com for $412.16 and Free Shipping. They had the best price I could find and still have a valid warranty. Heres the link http://magnaflowplanet.com/product.p...uctid=6460?tw3