Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Massive HP (MC non s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd say, doI custom Bi-turbo.

But ethier way strip it down to the block
Pistons, head FMIC,injectors, the turbo, ECu and so on.

Another thing is (I hear the Polezi have done this with their Cooper) is get a BMW engine and swap it out, displacement increase

Old 10-28-2006, 11:37 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the Caribinieri ran Mini's instead of the Polizei?

Old 10-28-2006, 11:38 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Nope....I was wrong!

Old 10-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtrem
I want to Turbo Charge it. What kit is the best and what else will I need?
Thanks,
John
Not many options for turbos....

There are a few companies in europe who claim to have them...but havent heard much about them.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:43 AM
mozzarella
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you wait and get an 2007. Seems it would be lots cheaper have a warranty. I'll bet it would be lots of money to turbo a Cooper.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by roach
Why don't you wait and get an 2007. Seems it would be lots cheaper have a warranty. I'll bet it would be lots of money to turbo a Cooper.
Of course it would be cheaper. You just dont get it though. I want to make a project out of this car. I dont want an ugly 2007. I want to make my car that I have right now as fast as possible. The money part of it isnt too big of a deal.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:02 PM
mozzarella
Banned
I don't get it.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't get it.
Whats not to get? I got a 2002 Mini Cooper for really cheap from a friend. I recently sold my Civic, so I have 14k to burn. I want to make a fast cooper. I dont want to buy a new 2007 or a "S". I just want to make this car I have right now fast. I dont care if people think its a waste of money, because its my car and my money. Im just asking for some advice on how to go about making my cooper fast.
Thanks

Old 10-28-2006, 04:23 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtrem
Im just asking for some advice on how to go about making my cooper fast.
Thanks
Fast, or powerful?

There are some generic tubo kits you can find that will claim they work with the Cooper. But, since they're generic kits, it's not bolt on and go.

If you search the site, you'll find some posts a few years back about people trying to make these generic turbo kits work. I don't think anyone has made a daily drivable turbo Cooper... yet.

As I understand it, beyond the stuff people have warned are the weak links in the engine and transmission, the biggest stumbling block is the ECU / boost controller. But I know very little about these things myself.

Is your end goal straight line speed? It sounds like it. I ask because you can make a killer Cooper for road courses by focussing on tires, brakes, and suspension. Add some weight loss to that, and you will surprise many people how quick a Cooper is without doing anything in the power department.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:12 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Alright....here's the list of my mods right now that I have if you missed the other posting. Now, it did make the Cooper more responsive. It seems to me that it is a "little faster"...but that could be in my head. I think I am pretty much done except for a few small things. Onto the motor and tranny. As far as the tranny goes I will be doing a 6-speed swap. I already know whats involved (axles, machining, etc). OR I might do a dog box 5-speed if I don't keep my car as a daily driver...but what is the fun in that. 99% 6-speed with a LTW flywheel and 3 disc clutch.
Ahhhh, the motor. S2K guys can rev to 9K cause of the 11:1 ratio but I wouldnt boost on it. Well, not enough to make it worth it. Since the topic is not a 200HP 9K redline NA Cooper motor...I wont talk about it. But, still thinking about it. The turbo motor would be nice. I have talked to Tuls and Hubie and everyone else regarding this issue for a long time. A couple years to be exact. BE4TNUT is right. All of that stuff you will need. I just lost my train of thought......grrrrrr. :impatient Now, all this is babble. I'll get back to ya.

EXTERIOR
Aero Kit (painted)
35% window tint
M7 Extreme Hood Scoop (not installed-no S hood at the moment)
LED's for tailights
Orciari 3-pc spoiler
E-bay clear tail lights
Clear sidemarkers
E-bay antenna
Rear Wiper Delete

SUSPENSION
Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
18x7.5 Exel TZ-10 wheels
215/35/18 Hankook tires
Alta rear upper and lower control arms
H-Sport Comp sway bars
Alta front and rear endlinks
H-Sport Front Strut Bar
Pilo Racing Rear Stress Bar
Wheel bolts
Hubcentric rings

BRAKES
Stoptech BBK (Black)
Stoptech rear slotted rotors
Axxis rear brake pads
Stoptech rear SS brake lines
Motul RBF600 brake fluid (3 bottles)

INTERIOR
Sparco Torino Seats (Blue/Gray)
Autopower 6-Point Cage
Euro Switching Panel
Gutted Interior

ENGINE
DEKA Battery (11 lb)
Moss Intake
Mobil 1 0w-40 motor oil
Batterymart Brass Terminals
Mini (Blue Anodized) Cap
Mini Wing Dipstick
TRANSMISSION
Redline MTL Fluid

Old 10-28-2006, 07:17 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
I don't get it.
Yeah, what don't you get? Do you see all the crap that I have?^^^^^^^^
Would you want to put everything back to stock? I wouldn't and I put it on! Sure, a MCS would be easier. But, I LOVE my Cooper. I have driven S's. Cool, but it's more fun trying to keep up! Plus, a turbo'd or fully built NA cooper would be so sweet. And not those ugly '07's either. You can have em. I can almost keep up with an S. And at speeds I can to an extent. Plus, I still have more weight reduction to do. You should have seen the face on the Nissan SER's driver when we finally stopped. It was classic. That's why I will not trade the Cooper in.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Since the topic is not a 200HP 9K redline NA Cooper motor...
Please elaborate! I want to know!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:08 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ranzo
Please elaborate! I want to know!!!
No.... J/K, the crossroads I am at with the car is what I want to do with the motor. A high redline motor putting 200 down (to the engine) is viable. Especially, if I massage it. That was one thought. Since, it would involve all the same parts as I turbo buildup - the turbo and plumbing. And it would be cool to see. Or I could do a turbo setup. I don't know what to do....I am stumped.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
The cheapiest/easiest route for the cooper is to Juice it. To make BIG numbers you will have to have some sort of power adder. Like a turbo/super charger/NOS.

I would say use the NOS, a LOT cheaper then the other 2, and more practical because its not always running. Its just there when you want it.

Either way, your 14k will be spent mainly on building the cooper engine to withstand the NOS/Turbo/Super charger. Even if you wanted to go all N/A you will need to upgrade alot of parts in order to be able to spin the MINI engine at extreme RPM's. 9K+

The easiest way to do it.

re-enforce the bottom end
lots of headwork/cam
indepented throttle bodies
custom exhaust
custom ECU tune with a stand alone
injectors

Then juice the hell out of it. Put a 200 shot on it. Might get you to the 250-300hp range.

This way you dont have to buy intercoolers/manifolds/turbos/BOV's/piping....ect.

There is a reason NOS is popular. Its easy, and probably the best performance, per dollar mod you can buy.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:21 AM
isellem
5th Gear
No.... J/K, the crossroads I am at with the car is what I want to do with the motor. A high redline motor putting 200 down (to the engine) is viable. Especially, if I massage it. That was one thought. Since, it would involve all the same parts as I turbo buildup - the turbo and plumbing. And it would be cool to see. Or I could do a turbo setup. I don't know what to do....I am stumped.

Yo, let me know when you want to start that project!!!!!!! We would love to help!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
I'm in favour for the construction of the high redline motor!

Old 10-30-2006, 10:27 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Wow that would be pretty sick. Why not make a boosted motor that revs to 9k. A 1.6l with a gt35r would spool at about 6k.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
isellem
5th Gear
no... it would spool sooner

Old 10-30-2006, 10:36 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
I would say use the NOS, a LOT cheaper then the other 2, and more practical because its not always running. Its just there when you want it.

There is a flaw in your theory. I WOULD ALWAYS BE ON THE BUTTON. I want to stay clear of the Nitros. Well, I WILL have a 150 shot on there...whatever I decide to do.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ranzo
I'm in favour for the construction of the high redline motor!
ME too! That is very appealing to me. But, the turbo motor would yield me higher gains. I just don't know. I have to decide what route I want to go with and a list of all my parts before I begin acquiring the parts. Spill's route seems more logical to me. Even though I have a "Cooper". I will be running a standalone anyways.

Justin....whenever you have some free time. I'm down to really start to think about this. I'll catch up with you maybe this weekend.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:21 AM
isellem
5th Gear
ME too! That is very appealing to me. But, the turbo motor would yield me higher gains. I just don't know. I have to decide what route I want to go with and a list of all my parts before I begin acquiring the parts. Spill's route seems more logical to me. Even though I have a "Cooper". I will be running a standalone anyways.

Justin....whenever you have some free time. I'm down to really start to think about this. I'll catch up with you maybe this weekend.

thats the attitude i like to hear

just don't tell Piper where i live

Old 10-30-2006, 11:27 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deleted didn't see other post.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
spillman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
no... it would spool sooner
Depends on the turbine wheel...

Old 10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
ME too! That is very appealing to me. But, the turbo motor would yield me higher gains.
A 200hp NA motor in a Cooper sounds pretty quick already... but I guess what all men want is more.

Forgive my newbieness, I'm not sure if this is apples to apples, but would the effects of your transformation be similar, not the same but similar to a civic with a K20 swap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYSZdn4ML5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc5R0FYAH8Q

And if that really isn't enough (your crazy man!), I'm in favour for juicing it. Keep costs and weight down and you will still be insanely fast.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 PM
HarryS
1st Gear
I'd spend $10K building a performance small-block Chevy, and then pay someone $4K to shoehorn it in.

Quick Reply: Massive HP (MC non s)