Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

VIP/DDM intake, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIP/DDM intake, etc...

(Add NM Torque Arm Insert/SprintBooster/Milltek CatBack system.)

Highly recommend...

Old 09-08-2012, 04:16 PM
albi
1st Gear
Very nice look. does the vip fit with the ddm works then? I heard it did not but looks like you have both on there. I have ddm works and sound is much nicer at idle (less like a diesel I think) and much deeper sound on acceleration. I have taped the holes of the intake silencer as well but do you notice any difference using the vip + ddm over using the ddm + stock silencer?

I ask because as the ddm works is open at the back I am wondering if any air is coming through from the front of the car or if all the air is being sucked straight in to the K and N? Not sure how to find out either???

Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by albi
Very nice look. does the vip fit with the ddm works then? I heard it did not but looks like you have both on there. I have ddm works and sound is much nicer at idle (less like a diesel I think) and much deeper sound on acceleration. I have taped the holes of the intake silencer as well but do you notice any difference using the vip + ddm over using the ddm + stock silencer?

I ask because as the ddm works is open at the back I am wondering if any air is coming through from the front of the car or if all the air is being sucked straight in to the K and N? Not sure how to find out either???
albi: first, thanks for the compiments. and yep, it fits "OK/fine". i coupled it between the intake hose and tube, and tube to airbox with short lengths of 2.5" silicone tube and T-clamps, no problem. for me it is only a little louder without the silencer, definitely deeper and raspier, but my exhaust note/volume pretty much overrides the sound at a point anyway.

i must be honest and say that i wasn't looking for sound (as long as it didn't sound "ricer"), just for free-flow air in/out of the engine, which the set-up more than expectedly provides. and with the pedal re-map and beefier torque arm insert also, the response is dramatically different from stock. believe me...

i do not recall any significant openings in the DDMworks box when i installed it, but then again, i tend not to be the brightest person at times either. as i mentioned previously, i do know the cars linear response and delivery is greatly improved which was my goal. i will add that i believe that all the maximizing cold air intake (vs. free-flow intake which was what i was seeking) "blah-blah" is more of an "S" issue with the extreme temperatures in the vicinity surrounding the engine with consideration of the turbo charging system.

take care, enjoy your MINI, that's what they're for, right?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:20 PM
albi
1st Gear
Thanks very much for the info. My main reason for installing the intake was to get rid of the lag/pause when i put my foot on the gas. This has fixed this issue with added bonus of nicer sound when engine is on idle. Will get the NM Torque Arm Insert next as read its well worth installing.

Will consider the Milltek CatBack system as I would like to fit an after market exhaust but wouldn't want it to be much louder that it already is with the ddm works.

Good point about sealed intake vs open air intake. I was Told by the guy who re mapped my bro's car to stick with sealed intake but after fitting the ddm there is no denying their is a marked improvement in pick-up (over stock intake) with no loss in HP that I can notice and your comment re: Cooper S makes sum sense.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 PM
miata_racer
3rd Gear
Yeah I made one for about $50 and it works better than stock. Sounds great and has no heat absorption

Used a 2.75" silicone 4 ply intercooler pipe, a 2.75" aluminum joiner pipe and a 2.75" AEM filter. Then a DIY bracket.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 PM
oddrockinegg
3rd Gear
Really stupid question for you guys with DDM intakes. I got one too and it came with a K&N cone filter. I don't know if its supposed to be oiled or if its a dry filter. Did either of you get the same filter? And how do you maintain it?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oddrockinegg
Really stupid question for you guys with DDM intakes. I got one too and it came with a K&N cone filter. I don't know if its supposed to be oiled or if its a dry filter. Did either of you get the same filter? And how do you maintain it?
(No question is stupid, stupid is not asking and then screwing up as a result... Besides that is what this site is all about, sharing information and experience.)

My DDM intake came with a pre-oiled filter. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RU-1480 You wash/clean it with their brand product or the like at the recommended mileage for your use, and then re-oil it and start over.

Of note, I do understand there is some controversy about oiled filters and MAF sensors fowling ($). I have read, and believe that issue is due to over oiling the filters. It should be glazed/slick to touch, as the oiled filters come new out of the box from the manufacturers, not wet or damp to touch. Think of it as being sticky to trap and prevent small foreign particles from going into the engine, but not saturated to the point of clogging the fine mesh of the filter that should freely permit air to free flow through it. Another case of "more is not better"...

Take care.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 AM
oddrockinegg
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by S&CLC
(No question is stupid, stupid is not asking and then screwing up as a result... Besides that is what this site is all about, sharing information and experience.)

My DDM intake came with a pre-oiled filter. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RU-1480 You wash/clean it with their brand product or the like at the recommended mileage for your use, and then re-oil it and start over.

Of note, I do understand there is some controversy about oiled filters and MAF sensors fowling ($). I have read, and believe that issue is due to over oiling the filters. It should be glazed/slick to touch, as the oiled filters come new out of the box from the manufacturers, not wet or damp to touch. Think of it as being sticky to trap and prevent small foreign particles from going into the engine, but not saturated to the point of clogging the fine mesh of the filter that should freely permit air to free flow through it. Another case of "more is not better"...

Take care.
Thanks for your help!

Also, I think I too will install the AIRVIP 2. That looks like a good mod. I'm loving the DDM and I currently have a Remus exhaust on order. So excited for that!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 PM
albi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oddrockinegg
I was under the understanding that K&N send the filter pre oiled I have not had to maintain it yet so didn't actually know so thanks for asking and thanks to S&CLC for answering. My car is UK Spec so I don't have the Mass air sensor so wouldn't know about that.

Have fun with the Remus. I bet an exhaust and air intake together sound so nice. Just dropped a load of cash on new sound system so my exhaust dreams will have to remain just that for the mo.

Drive Safe
Albi

Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM
oddrockinegg
3rd Gear
Nice! I would love to do a sound system but there's so many performance mods I want to do first. What company did you use for your sound system?

I'll probably post my exhaust on one of these forums so people can see what it's like. I know I really appreciate pics and vids when I'm considering mods.

I just hooked my brother-in-law up with a guy that did a custom exhaust for his Coupe. He had to go custom because no one makes exhausts for Coupes yet. We'll find out what the results are tomorrow when it's finished.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM
miata_racer
3rd Gear
I went with the dryflow AEM to prevent MAF damage issues.

Funny you mention an exhaust...I'm going to have Artech Fabrication (wylie, tx) do one for the 2011. Should be a bit cheaper than the VIP one and others, full stainless, magnaflow components and v-band flanges.

Price I'd guess will be around $500.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Gdizzle
Neutral
I love the DDM intake!!

Easy to install and sounds great. I made a custom chrome 3" intake tube. This was my first MOD on my mini. Any suggestions for what the next best bang for the buck MOD should be?

Attached Thumbnails VIP/DDM intake, etc...-img_1242.jpg   VIP/DDM intake, etc...-img_1240.jpg   VIP/DDM intake, etc...-img_1246.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdizzle
I made a custom chrome 3" intake tube. This was my first MOD on my mini.
Nice addition of some engine bay bling! Thinking of a DDM myself, just need to get a round tuit.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:12 PM
jordandelarge
Neutral
Homemade VIP2

Created my own VIP2 (resonator delete) using a piece from my Integra gsr cold air intake. The existing tubing slides in nice and tight and the end that leads to the air filter clicks in perfect. Used the runner and clamps for extra support but not necessary. Great way to save 150 bucks.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:19 PM
jordandelarge
Neutral
Homemade VIP2

Created my own VIP2 (resonator delete) using a piece from my Integra gsr cold air intake. The existing tubing slides in nice and tight and the end that leads to the air filter clicks in perfect. Used the runner and clamps for extra support but not necessary. Great way to save 150 bucks.