Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Problem retrofitting paddle steering wheel on 2010 MC

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem retrofitting paddle steering wheel on 2010 MC

One thing that really annoyed me was MINI USA's last minute decision to remove the steering wheel paddle shifters from the 2010+ MC, and not even offering it as an option I've heard of people retrofitting them (even my dealer mentioned doing it - actually ordering the paddles and cutting the stock steering wheel to fit) so a few months ago I got a nice used paddle shifter wheel from a 2010 MCS. I got the dealer to install it, seemed like it went fine, but when I picked up the car and started to drive away I found that the paddles didn't work. So I went back in and saw they hadn't tested them.

Anyway, long story short, it seems like my car may be one of a handful that you can't just pop a paddle shifter wheel on and it'll work. They may have left something out at the factory to recognize it. Or perhaps it's a software thing.

My dealer hasn't had any luck figuring out what to do so I wanted to ask around and see if anyone here has an idea?

Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 PM
albi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can this be done successfully? I want one on my 2011 MC.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Yes, it can. I've heard of a few people who just installed it and it worked. But it's not guaranteed. After buying one (used) and installing it, it turns out my 2010 MC was one of a "small batch" of cars where something necessary for it to work was not installed or set by the factory. That's what the dealer said at any rate. They haven't been able to find a way to get it to work. :(

Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM
albi
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Turns out my MINI Dealer would not offer to do this for me. They are not very good at doing things out of the norm.

I would have to go to a private garage to do this but it would void my MINI TLC and as I have 8 Year free TLC from my dealer due to their mistake when ordering my car they would love any excuse to Void it.

This will have to remain a dream Modification for me I think.

Good Look with your Mods

Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
That's nuts, it's just a simple matter of uninstalling the current steering wheel and installing the new one. For someone who knows what they are doing it's a quick and simple job.

Plus it's an OEM part -- how can they claim it would void a warranty?

I'm not familiar with MINI TLC. Is that a European thing? In the US, there are laws that prevent manufacturers from claiming that you voided your warranty just because you installed something. They need to prove that what you did caused the failure. I have to believe/hope that there are similar or even better laws in Europe.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM
albi
1st Gear
MINI TLC is basically just free service but 8 years adds up to a big saving for me.

The attitude of my dealer is that if they can not find the part on the upgrade list when they search their system it is not available. As this would not be on the system as an upgrade option they would be unwilling to fit even if I supply the part as it is not model specific.

If I use an non authorised BMW technician to carry out the work then this would effect my warranty as any electrical problems I may encounter could have been caused by the fitting of this part.

I think their is a law along the lines of "right to maintain" so I may do a little digging and find out if I could use this if they tried void my warranty.

I asked about installing an after market air intake and if it would effect my warranty on only the parts of the car that could be effected by such a change and they said it would void my warranty and TLC full stop. (now I have to take out my ddm works when I take my car in)

I am having a custom audio system fitted tomorrow by my local Audio shop and the owner has said he will help me fight BMW if they try cancel my warranty as he has had problems with them trying to do this with other customers he has fitted systems for.

Would really like the paddle shift so am going to see if I can find a way to get it.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with your mod.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM
funkle
1st Gear
Any luck getting this to work? I'm having the same issue with adding a paddle equipped wheel to my '12 justa. I found a used steering wheel from a '10 mini in eBay. I was pretty certain this was going to work, and very psyched to have paddle shifting, since I got very used to it in my 330i. Maybe now that they're not offering the option, they've removed the wiring entirely. I'm going to check with the dealer, and some independants and see if they know anything.

Last edited by funkle; 07-16-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM
funkle
1st Gear
The outlook does not look good... I spoke with a couple shops, both the dealer and an independent that specializes in Minis. They both said that the the harness is not wired for it, so to retrofit would mean taking apart the steering column, rewiring, and reprogramming - several thousand at the dealer.

My guess is that it might have been possible in the minis made during the period that the paddle shift was an option. It would stand to reason that they would be prewired to accept the option.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
funkle
1st Gear
An update: As I posted before, I attempted to add paddle shifting to my '12 Mini Cooper auto by adding an OEM paddle steering wheel. This did not work. All the multifunction buttons worked on the new wheel, but the paddles did nothing.

I contacted Motivmods (who does paddleshift retrofit kits for BMWs) to see if they had any kits for the mini. They do not, but said they thought it should be pretty easy to develop something, since Minis share so much in common with BMWs. I've been working with him for a week or so, providing wiring information & photos and he's pretty positive about getting this to work. I'm going to send the paddle steering wheel to him since the wiring is not very straight forward. Hopefully, with any luck, I'll have working paddle shifting in my mini. I'll provide an update when I know more.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to assume its similar to BMW retrofits. You need a new Slip-ring and Steering Wheel with paddle shifters. You will need to make a "harness" to connect into the shifter where the signal will be received.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM
funkle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini///M
I'm going to assume its similar to BMW retrofits. You need a new Slip-ring and Steering Wheel with paddle shifters. You will need to make a "harness" to connect into the shifter where the signal will be received.
I have the OEM paddle steering wheel already. It is compatible with the the slip ring/clock spring as far as being able to plug the connectors in, so may not need to replaced. The motivmods guy says he does a wiring harness with some kind of electronic control module he programs

Old 12-03-2013, 11:38 AM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Was there ever a resolution this to get it to work?