Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Compact air horn

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 AM
MsEmily
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compact air horn

Looking for someone that has recently added a compact air horn to their love. Would like to keep the original horn, but add the air horn for those that seem oblivious to Kit. I noticed Moss Mini carries one that is reasonably priced. Question ease of installation.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're not too bad to install. I put one on my R53, the only real issue was finding a good location - and that can be a challenge. THink about the "having two horns" thing, though - if you've got the OE horn, then you need completely separate wiring and a switch for the extra horn, as well as (in an emergency situation) the presence of mind to honk the OE horn, notice that the offending driver doesn't hear you, then toggle the aftermarket horn...

Easier to use the OE horn wiring to trip a relay, running 12v+ power to the aftermarket horn, and be done with it.

I just put $35 WOLO horns on my wife's Kia Soul, MUCH MUCH louder than stock, and a pretty straightforward install. Sounds good, too, kind of a "deeper Ferrari" sound.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Neufusion
4th Gear
I can't recall the brand, but I have a mini air compressor and two air horns. The air compressor sits in the little box area under the top vents on the hood and the horns mount with a bracket.

I opted to replace the OEM horns with the air horns, so I just disconnected the two OEM horns and then ran the power line for the air compressor right into the original wiring harness at the horn.

The sounds is huge! Sometimes people have to do a double take because they hear a big *** horn and only see little MINI. =]

Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Why do you want to keep the original?

If I don't want to blow someone away, I can just quickly tap the horn and it lets out a softer sound since the compressor doesn't spin up all the way.

It would be funny to have both hooked up to the same switch. If you held your horn down, they'd know you are really pissed! =]