Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Simple performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by justacooperjay
anybody done the Torque Arm Insert upgrade on their own? sounds like a good deal to me, just didn't see a how to on it. Would love to do both the torque arm and lower engine mount as well.
Thanks
I've been wanting to get that too.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Reed
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Mod

How about a Sprint Booster, Relitivly Cheap but Nice Mod For About $300.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I've been wanting to get that too.
I did the torque arm bushing last week and it was a real improvement. Shifting is smoother as well a power transfer. It does give you a bit of vibriation in the car at idle, but a small trade off. I was told not to do the lower bushing too, as the vibriation would be even more noticeable. I would not want any more then the torque arm bushing give me.

Jim

Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Grendl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
I did the torque arm bushing last week and it was a real improvement.
Jim
Can what the install entailed Jim? I'm just 2 weeks into my Mini and haven't even cracked the hood yet.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I did the torque arm bushing last week and it was a real improvement. Shifting is smoother as well a power transfer.
Glad you like it. The NM torque arm bushing is pretty much the first mod we do to every R56. It's cheap and you actually see the benefit after installing.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
ChineeBoy
Neutral
I did the torque arm bushing last week and it was a real improvement. Shifting is smoother as well a power transfer. It does give you a bit of vibriation in the car at idle, but a small trade off. I was told not to do the lower bushing too, as the vibriation would be even more noticeable. I would not want any more then the torque arm bushing give me.

Jim
Hey Jim,

How hard is it to change the torque arm? Looking to do my first mod on my 5 day old mini

cheers!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChineeBoy
Hey Jim,

How hard is it to change the torque arm? Looking to do my first mod on my 5 day old mini

cheers!
Just take out two bolts and remove the torque arm. You don't replace anything, but merely insert the two bushings and replace the torque arm. Nothing to it. A lift helps, but two jack stands will work just fine. 15 minutes tops.

Jim

Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Glad you like it. The NM torque arm bushing is pretty much the first mod we do to every R56. It's cheap and you actually see the benefit after installing.
Thanks for your advice on this Way. Now I'll need to get you to install the Craven Short Shifter at next years Dragon.

Jim

Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Grendl
1st Gear
Is the same true for a standard R55, or are the results diminished?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Way, do you recommend the Sprint Booster now, as the throtte delay is much more noticable when rev matching on the down shift?

Jim

Last edited by jbewley; 06-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Ordered the Sprint Booster from WMW an hour a go and it is already on its way.

Jim

Old 06-23-2010, 05:18 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Installed the Sprint Booster yesterday and it took all of 10 minutes. Hardest part was deciding where to mount the switch.

For the justa I find it amazing and is the perfect fit with the torque bushings. The throttle is more like direct linkage and I Like being able to move the throttle just a little and getting a responce right away, rather then having to mash the throttle. Since a tune is not in the cards for us, this is a good deal. I am very happy with it.

Jim

Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sprint booster sounds like it would be worth the coin. The 30 day trial may be the determining factor!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
JJUK
Neutral
Installed the Sprint Booster yesterday and it took all of 10 minutes. Hardest part was deciding where to mount the switch.

For the justa I find it amazing and is the perfect fit with the torque bushings. The throttle is more like direct linkage and I Like being able to move the throttle just a little and getting a responce right away, rather then having to mash the throttle. Since a tune is not in the cards for us, this is a good deal. I am very happy with it.

Jim
Good to hear, I'm tempted now!
Where did you end up mounting the switch?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JJUK
\

After several days I have found that the torque arm bushings and he SB are the "justa tune". I use the race setting all the time now and find that low end responce is fantastic. I love this set up.

Easy location is on the right side of the foot well, up near the fan control ****. Easy to hide the cord, see and reach.

Jim

Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
That is great, I keep saying that Torque arm insert is huge bang for the buck even on a Justa Cooper.

And the Sprint Booster can be a big help with the throttle delay.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JJUK
After having the SB in the car for a week, I can't see how I got along with out it. Yesterday I gave it a good long run in race mode, with the Sport Button on too. All I can say is it felt like the Energizer Bunny. I highly recommend this and the torque arm bushing for the justa.

Jim

Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just take out two bolts and remove the torque arm. You don't replace anything, but merely insert the two bushings and replace the torque arm. Nothing to it. A lift helps, but two jack stands will work just fine. 15 minutes tops.
Potentially stupid question, but you'll have to forgive me as this is the first FWD car I've owned in 15 years and the only one I've ever had any interest in doing any mods to... Is there any reason the torque arm couldn't be removed and replaced with the car on ramps? I.E. with the front wheels attached to the engine/transaxle, will the weight of the car cause the drivetrain to shift once the torque arm is unbolted, preventing it from being replaced?

Jacking is a pain in the rear compared to just pulling the car up on my Rhino ramps... Call me lazy, but I like to avoid it when I can.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
Potentially stupid question, but you'll have to forgive me as this is the first FWD car I've owned in 15 years and the only one I've ever had any interest in doing any mods to... Is there any reason the torque arm couldn't be removed and replaced with the car on ramps? I.E. with the front wheels attached to the engine/transaxle, will the weight of the car cause the drivetrain to shift once the torque arm is unbolted, preventing it from being replaced?

Jacking is a pain in the rear compared to just pulling the car up on my Rhino ramps... Call me lazy, but I like to avoid it when I can.
That will work fine. You just want to be sure it won't fall on you.

Jim

Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Way,
I have a R56 with the BSH lower mount with street bushings. I'm not thrilled with the amount of vibration coming thru to the cabin. Does this get better with time (I have about 200 miles on the mount) and / or would the NM TA bushing be a good alternative?

Thx!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed the NM bushings this morning, and all I can say is "wow"... Should have been this way from the factory. I find the increase in NVH to be noticeable (although I was looking for it), but not significant, IMO. Shifting is hugely improved as is the pick up. Makes it really easy to drop the hammer and whip through the gears. Fun factor x10.

Had it done in less than 10 minutes, including a little fumbling to get the rear bolt started (added about 45 seconds to the time). Didn't even bother removing the front bolt - loosened it, removed rear, rotated the arm down, stuck in the inserts and put it back together. Thanks for the affirmation on the use of ramps, Jim.

Kudos to Way and the crew, btw - I ordered Thursday late afternoon, got a call about 30 minutes later confirming my year/model, package went out Friday morning and got here yesterday.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by JeffreyC
Way,
I have a R56 with the BSH lower mount with street bushings. I'm not thrilled with the amount of vibration coming thru to the cabin. Does this get better with time (I have about 200 miles on the mount) and / or would the NM TA bushing be a good alternative?

Thx!
Honestly the NM bushing would be alot less vibration for you. If you put 200 miles on your current setup it's not going to get better.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:42 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
Installed the NM bushings this morning, and all I can say is "wow"... Should have been this way from the factory. I find the increase in NVH to be noticeable (although I was looking for it), but not significant, IMO. Shifting is hugely improved as is the pick up. Makes it really easy to drop the hammer and whip through the gears. Fun factor x10.

Had it done in less than 10 minutes, including a little fumbling to get the rear bolt started (added about 45 seconds to the time). Didn't even bother removing the front bolt - loosened it, removed rear, rotated the arm down, stuck in the inserts and put it back together. Thanks for the affirmation on the use of ramps, Jim.

Kudos to Way and the crew, btw - I ordered Thursday late afternoon, got a call about 30 minutes later confirming my year/model, package went out Friday morning and got here yesterday.
Now, add the Sprint Booster and you will never look back, except to see if the "S" is still behind you.

Jim