Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

MiniTec's 1st MT-K

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 AM
dimini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tti-

I don't understand your last post. Are you going Vtec-weary on us? Losing the love? Thinking of selling (before you've had a chance to do a torque-steer launch out into the bushes?) I hope I'm reading your message incorrectly.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
meno
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dimini
tti-

I don't understand your last post. Are you going Vtec-weary on us? Losing the love? Thinking of selling (before you've had a chance to do a torque-steer launch out into the bushes?) I hope I'm reading your message incorrectly.
Naaaah, he's the rapscallion of Texas a la Han Solo.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
meno
4th Gear
Had hand surgery today so I'm one handed typing so don't look for much in the way of purple prose.

Received an email update so I thought I'd pass it along.

Tranny is in - he ended up replacing the clutch for giggles I suppose...........and because of some wear.

The new double decker radiator hasn't showed yet but he's putting the dash back together. The keyless ignition is gone and apparently he's rectified the voltage feed issue with a relay. We shall see.

I didn't dare ask for time of completion. Besides shifting would be difficult right now.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 PM
travis 10 incher
2nd Gear
No, your reading correctly. I only mentioned selling due to my bad attitude.
And by the way, I have driven mine into the other lane already due to a heavy foot and lots of torque steer.

I guess I need to post pics of my latest status.
I will do that tomorrow.(In my thread, sorry for hoggin yours L.)

T.T.Inch

Old 10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
meno
4th Gear
Originally Posted by travis 10 incher
And by the way, I have driven mine into the other lane already due to a heavy foot and lots of torque steer.
T.T.Inch
Interesting, isn't it? Quaife can help.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:08 PM
meno
4th Gear
Trust me - the following link is must see TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGixDN-5qnc

Old 10-14-2008, 06:11 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Meno-

check your email.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 PM
meno
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dimini
Meno-

check your email.
Done...waiting to see the outcome of wheat courage.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 PM
meno
4th Gear
Star Date 40035

Stopped by to make my Mini mortgage payment - George is busy making room for the new radiator - he's moved wiring, tranny counter weight, A/C line, etc...in doing so picked up 1.5 inches - remember, space is a premium in Tokyo and Steve Austin. The engine bay is being cleaned up nicely. He's working with Norman on fixing the steering arm dilemma currently...finally an end in site with the arm camming over when in reverse. Dash wiring is far, far better than what was done previously. He's rewiring the injectors by getting rid of the adapters and he's making his own TPS module which if you understand the Honda OEM situation speaks volumes to his ability to think openly and problem solve. He's creating a skid plate for the front and going over every bolt in the car using a product similar to lock-tite. It is so refreshing to have the car detailed in this way despite the global economy's effect on my ability to pay.

BUT the proof is in the pudding...so we shall see.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Meno-

More than two weeks has passed--that's another paycheck. Did you feed your family first? As a bonafide member of the Vtec support group, I remind you that feeding the family is paramount.
Sounds like Mr. Austin is coming along. I think BJ is sending me rubber motor mounts. If that happens, I'll PM you the results. Thus far, I'm tackling my own Vtec tweaks--I raised the front end 3/4" so I don't sweep leaves.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM
meno
4th Gear
Aye, it has. Spoke with George yesterday and he says he's on target (stop the cat calls, please) for my Thanksgiving road trip; the irony is rich.

George has been exchanging notes and ideas with Norman at Minitec concerning round four for steering arms, compressed axle issue and the new double core radiator. Joy.

Meanwhile, back at the camp, Lance is working three jobs to pay the invoices. A friend told me it was normal to have a fifth mortgage on my house but I don't know if he was just saying that to make me feel good.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
meno
4th Gear
Crunch time...again

Well, I have plans to take Steve Austin to Mendocino for Thanksgiving so crunch time has arrived. Two items will NOT be complete for sure; steering arms part 4 and the shortening of the driver's side axel...but I digress.

If you recall I have an entirely new intake system, a fan that would suck a toupee from an innocent bystander, a revised thermostat housing (reducer to maintain pressure and elimination of the thermostat) and now the final part has arrived; a double thick radiator. Allegedly this holds two gallons instead of one so as I understand it, my cooling issues should be addressed BUT I'll have to report on that in JULY when the valley heats up to ~110. Here's the new digs:

George has rewired a good portion of the car. One troublesome item was the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is a solid state item from Honda. Normally you have to buy the whole throttle body assembly (or at least I've been told) to get it. Well Rimbaud arrived with one that had been removed or restored or tweeked. Once in a while the car would have difficulty starting and/or run crazy eratic at cold starts. The hondata tuner stumbled upon the issue once when the car wouldn't start. All that to say here's the revised version:

Why didn't I just replace the whole assembly? Well, I wanted to but George insisted he could wire it better than stock...[sigh]. We shall see.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM
dimini
6th Gear
Progress is good and you've certainly been down the twisty, long road toward getting Rimbaud sorted out. Mine runs up to 210F with the AC running and or when the ambient temp is +75F. Fan actuates at 210F and then it drops. How will it fare at 99F w/AC? Just like you, we'll see next summer!

Swapped out the polyurethane for stock rubber motor mounts last night, Meno, and it tamed the pup just a bit. Only so much one can do with a wild Hyena, though. Since your K is a totally different animal, I'm not sure what benefit/new issue ratio you might expect. It appears that just a slight change in engine positioning has occured (with mine) and now I'm chasing down new rattles & buzzes.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM
meno
4th Gear
Hmmm...doesn't sound like enough of a change to pursue. I may already be quieter than when I last ran on account of the new final drive at freeway speeds and the intake going to a sealed box...we shall see.

You might check your exhaust hangers, too; rubber can help or at least it did mine quite significantly...~20-40% if memory serves me correctly.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
meno
4th Gear
Off Topic Addition

Found this photo yesterday and laughed as it was part of the collective past which led to the purchase / desire of Steve Austin, a car barely alive.

Circa 1985 - pre repaint

Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
dimini
6th Gear
Your Scirroco reminds of the Wolfsburg edition white-on-white model an old roomate bought new just before he accepted a job in NYC. He was a news photographer who used his car for work--I'll bet his new Scirroco was destroyed before he paid it off...

During a recent NYC trip I saw a new MINI with an accessory I've never seen before. I'd describe it as a portable "bump me easy" pad that you hold in place on the rear bumper by closing the hatchback door onto a flap that holds pad in place.

Meno- you are looking for distracting thread hijacks right now, right? Is Steve joining you for Thanksgiving? If classics weighed a bit less, I'd overnight mine to you as I'll be with family in Sunny Orlando. Hey, isn't that close to bigNorm? I should try to look him up.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 AM
meno
4th Gear
Ah, the horror.

Rimbaud was due to be complete last night. Suprise, suprise...it's not.

George said perhaps tonight. Hmmmm.........bus leaves tomorrow with or without the dark enemy.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM
dimini
6th Gear
He just might make it, then. Hey, what were your engine temps during the summer months? K vs. D is probably apple/oranges but I'm told 210 is typical summer temp. On mine, that's when the fan comes on. With A/C on it runs up to 210 but hasn't yet climbed higher. Again, probably can't be compared, but my rubber motor mounts have saved my eardrums & nerves, and, unlike yours, they are hidden under the fenders and aren't displayed (for the benefit of car show types).

Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Sirocco in college... that car kicked ***. Lordy, it is ugly, though...

Old 11-25-2008, 12:26 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Ugly? it's just an aerodynamically-correct clubman!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
LOL... Fugly form follows function.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
meno
4th Gear
180 the fan turns on - 220 I melt down. Car runs best (intuition, not testing) between 150-180.

Ugly? it's just an aerodynamically-correct clubman!
At minimum, they're kissing cousins and you know how looks dilute when cousins marry.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Reading VTEC threads fills me with equal parts feelings of "man, I'm jealous" mixed with "man, I'm glad I don't own one of those". Owning a VTECs seem like dating a supermodel: they're oh-so pretty and inspire lust in everyone that sees them, and Lordy can they go fast when they're well-greased and in the mood, but they're also so freaking high-maintenance and twitchy. Plus, you wake up in the morning with an empty wallet!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM
meno
4th Gear
Yeah, definately from the realm of Ginger (Gilligan's Island fame) but with Paris Hilton "flare".

Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
coobah
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
I had a Sirocco in college... that car kicked ***. Lordy, it is ugly, though...
I also had a Sirocco in college. Mine was an '87 16v. Man, that puppy screamed. It was still my favorite car, until I bought my R53.

Quick Reply: MiniTec's 1st MT-K