Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

New buyer

Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 AM
minicoopr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New buyer

Hello,

I'm a new buyer and currently stationed in Italy.

I've found a 1991 Mini Cooper in Green.
  • It's carbonated and overall look like it is pretty good condition.
  • Very little rust that I can find, seems and seals look good on doors and boot.
  • The engine starts without almost no hesitation from cold (it's about 60 degree F here)
  • after a couple foot pumps to keep it running, it idles at around 900 RPM.
  • The owner said clutch was replaced 3 years ago, it moves through gears without any noise while idling.
  • The engine also accelerates smoothly
  • There seems to be some oil leaking as the bottom has a light coat of golden oil on it, but it does not seem to be coming from the rear main seal area with the pin.
  • Paint has a swirls on hood but no problems on roof, doors, or back.
  • No rust in wheel wells, under floor mats (did see cracking), or under bumpers.
  • Wiring for headlights is wrong (driver side does not go bright)

Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on the 1991 Carb'd Cooper? What else should I look for? He is asking fright over 7000 Euro, I'm going to offer 6,500 after he fixes light and mechanic checks it. I'm super excited and have waiting over 15 years to get a mini - this one might be it!

I'll try to upload some pics soon.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Like to see some pics. Some of the classic owners will chime in.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds like a great car the oil seal is an easy fix with this http://www.minispares.com/product/Cl...ck%20to%20shop

Old 05-22-2017, 09:05 AM
minicoopr
Neutral
All, purchased the car after having the owner fix the headlights. I had a local shop check it out and they found no rust but fixed a couple leaks at the gearbox and fuel pump area. Several points were greased as well. Had to fix the passenger side windshield fluid jet.

I think the next thing is just getting the carburetor tuned but it run well, starts fast, etc.

No rust anywhere visible on the outside or underneath during the mechanic review.

In the first couple days of driving two things happened:
1. I've noticed a very loud squeak from the front brakes when stopping... ear piercing. The pads are new, so maybe there is something grinding?

2. Heavy rain while the car was parked in the above photo. Water got in on passenger side and the front and rear passenger floors are wet. The seats were dry and it didn't seem to come from doors or windshield, but possibly from black hosing under passenger dash. I pull all carpet and felt out to be safe until I find leak.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
this could be due to door seals to check use a piece of paper and open door put paper next to seal and close door if you can pull paper out easily then door shut needs adjusting, to balance carb what you need to do is get a colour tune kit and set the correct mixture as well as timing

Old 05-23-2017, 10:32 AM
minicoopr
Neutral
Alright thanks, I'll check this out! Is there any guides out there on swapping out the default air filter for a cone filter? I'm sure the swap isn't too bad but not sure if any tuning needs to be done after.

Search this Thread