Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

How should the drive shafts look when you are parked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How should the drive shafts look when you are parked?

I'm new to the classic mini seen, but am enjoying reading up on my purchase and how to work on it. One thing I'm trying to find out is if the rubber cones are so worn, only about 1-2 inches thick, should they be thicker? Is this making my drive shafts bind. Sitting in park, the drive shafts to the front wheels are angled down towards the transmission. I'm wondering should they be neutral or angled up? Plus, minus needing new cones and shocks, when coasting in gear over rough roads, there is a rattle, but with the car out of gear, it doesn't rattle, and under acceleration I don't notice a rattle, it's just loud I'm assuming due to either the lack of any sound proofing or wear on the drive shafts. Any suggestions? Plus, I'm trying to find out if there is a mount either worn or broke, need to get it on a lift hopefully next week, but when you shift without letting out the clutch easy, should it clunk into gear and jolt even the steering wheel or this a sign of worn or broken mounts?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I'd REALLY like to help you here BUT >>>>

Cones: I'm thinking what you are referencing in the "1-2 inches" is what you can see ... there is more cone IN THE CUP. Are your cones shot? Probably . . . and if you want more 'control' over your suspension when you replace the cones you can add adjustable arms (aka hi/lo's) AND/OR springs in place of cones
http://www.minimania.com/part/C-STR6...-MINI-COOPER-S

What's rattling? To check the various mounts heres what I would do - and you need a helper (aka MATE) to do it.

1. Block the wheels SECURELY

2. Get your head under the bonnet while things are running - under control from your friend

3. Have ur friend put it in gear and let out the clutch just until engagement ... how much do things move????

The Mini engine has an upper brace and the bushings for that CAN wear out .... and there are adjustable braces to tighten things up AND better bushings (poly) .... and engine mounts (lower) certainly wear out as well.

Just ONE thought, but where I would start.

+++++++++++
but when you shift without letting out the clutch easy, should it clunk into gear and jolt even the steering wheel or this a sign of worn or broken mounts?

All I can say to this is: HUH . . .

does my 79 shift and drive like my 07-S or my 14 Focus ST? NOOOOOO

does it bang and clash a bit? YESS>>>>>

Last edited by Capt_bj; 11-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great idea Capt bj. Thank fully work has been busy to make up overtime to purchase new parts and pieces. I'll have to get one of my co workers to help me on this and use the aircraft chalks to keep the little mini in place. I hope to get it up on a lift this week when I'm off to get a look at those mounts. The doggone on top at least I've seen looks pretty worn out, as far as it's bushings go.