Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

mini safety

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:22 PM
2007 ion2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini safety

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/bmc-crash-test

came across this original footage, interesting...

I knew they weren't terribly safe cars, they were built in the 60s, but did they ever make the seats so they don't hurl you through the windshield and the seatbelts so they hold you, you know, in the seat? what about the door latches, did those ever get changed? or did they not care to fix these issues until the BMW minis?

Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the 90's Rover Minis have airbags and seat belts and all that stuff (and a front mounted radiator), but remember the cr was still not legal in the states primarily due to safety issues.

In a front end crash, the engine is going to be in your lap and the steering column is heading into your face. From the side, you have virtually no protection - no side door beams.

I feel A LITTLE safer with my 6 point Safety Devices roll cage ... but not much. I avoid interstate highways and prefer roads where speeds are 45 vs 55+ . . .

MiniWorld Sept 2013:
Name:  miniworldcrash_zps7b0979d6.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  81.9 KB

Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM
2007 ion2
1st Gear
yeah, I was just wondering how much they fixed in production, doesn't sound like much.

I know it isn't your style, but I would probably either fashion a latching system to keep the stock seats in place in a crash, or buy aftermarket seats so they at least don't throw me through the windshield, and fit 3 point belts. I may even go the route of the safety cage like you have, as this will be a driver.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
cobra classic seats and 3 point belts

Name:  fixedinterior2-1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  65.5 KB

remember that in the US the first federal seat belt requirement went into effect 1 Jan 1968. B4 that state laws varied. The video you found is of a MK1 Mini - which pre-dates even the US requirement. I suspect the first crash tests of my 66 Mustang would look very similar: lap belts in front only, and the seat back was not locked in place but flipped forward freely for rear seat access.

Later Minis have 3 point seat belts and a somewhat improved seat mount .... like what's in my 79.

By using this seat mount, which is what I have,
http://www.7ent.com/products/mountin...r-sse0013.html

you can fit a wide selection of aftermarket seats - size being your major constraint.
http://www.7ent.com/categories/seats...?sort=featured

Folks who regularly autocross their classic will often have a modern sport seat(s) installed and disable the 'rock forward' mechanism which is intended to provide rear seat access, as well as much improved belts - also readily available. An additional member is made for my roll cage (bolt in) intended to serve as the mounting point for shoulder harness....

A LOT of people still race the Mini ... "racing" parts are not hard to find ...

http://www.7ent.com/categories/forte...?sort=featured

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-25-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 PM
2007 ion2
1st Gear
thank you for the links and info. is it that they're so unstable at high speeds? there has to be a reason for it, if so.

I don't remember them being scary to drive at 60, but it's been a while since I've driven one.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
scary is a relative thing

In my youth I rode motorcycles on interstate highways ... today, no thank you cuz when things go wrong it hurts and I'm old enuf to care now. For the same reason when I get up to 60 in the Mini and get close to an 18 wheeler I usually wonder why I'm not I'm my MINI with all the airbags and side beams and crush zones etc etc. Or my Miata ditto . . .

People ask me all the time how fast my 79 will go and my standard reply is I don't know because I close my eyes once I pass 60.

Truth is, it is not a comfortable ride at 60, or what ever my top speed might be. No a/c so everything is open ... minimal insulation. I have 10" wheels so my RPM is pretty well up there at 60 ... the engine is screaming. I have a LCB manifold feeding a PlayMini all stainless back box and twin DTM pipes ... this is not a quiet exhaust. It is loud at 60 .... I have no idea how riders can stand long distance on a Harley. I have a stereo but that's for looks - can't hear the darn thing over 50.

The ride is HARD - no springs in these recall - rubber cones . . . and my adjustable shocks are set hard for cornering. Cobra seats look cool but after about an hour they get old ... don't need to drive 60 if only gonna drive for a couple of hours and FUN driving is the only reason I have the car.

but in short - this is not a car that was designed for the Autobahn

when I want to do that kind of driving there are other toys to play with . .

I can ASSURE you that these guys don't stress to hit 60 or 100 or much more and stay there all day (as driver skill permits) with no compromise on safety

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-25-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM
2007 ion2
1st Gear
yeah, I know about the rubber cones, was the hydrolastic setup any better, I wonder?

those toys definitely look like they would be much more fun over 60 than a mini.

I have had two cars I have truly loved. one was a ford sierra, that would go down the autobahn all day long at 100-144MPH, and the second is my current car, the saturn ion. while my saturn isn't nearly as fast as those ferraris and the lambo, it is perfectly safe and stable up to 110 on a stock suspension (as fast as I've had it, I have no idea what the top speed is, my guess is 115-120 because of the gearing) on the crappy american roads, so I imagine on the autobahn, it would be fine up to top speed all day long.