Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Rejoining the classic Mini club with an immaculate Mayfair!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM
RVExotics
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rejoining the classic Mini club with an immaculate Mayfair!

I've batted around the idea of getting another classic Mini since selling (and hating myself for it!) the 1980 we bought in 2008. As luck would have it, the same person from whom we bought the earlier Mini just happened to have another one for sale and we stumbled across it last week. This one was listed as a 1984 Mayfair edition Mini. Apparently Mayfair was a "luxury" edition adding a blue velour interior, two side view mirrors, a push button radio, special hubcaps, etc.

We were told that the car was in good condition, but honestly I wasn't expecting this. It has 16k original miles and is nearly immaculate inside and out. It also runs like a charm - which probably means something will fail today on the ride home since I drove it to school. But seriously, we drove it all the way from Kansas City to central Arkansas and it was perfect the entire way. I thought the Mini we bought before was in great condition, but it was a heap compared to this car. I honestly feel like, for the price we paid, we absolutely stole it. Also this one is a stick. The other was an automatic and while I generally don't have any problems with autos, that was just a snail to drive. It helps that this one doesn't get boiling hot as well.

Now for the goodies:

Very happy to be back in the "club." We already have a few things in mind we'd like to do but absolutely nothing to move it away from being as original as possible. Sitting in this car is quite literally like transporting yourself back into 1980s England and I wouldn't want to do anything to spoil that. That being said, brakes that are a little less squishy would be nice - or at least least nerve wracking!

By the way, does anyone know where I might find the Mayfair badge that goes on the grille? The spot is there but the badge is missing.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congratulations! Lovely car!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
epeel
2nd Gear
Fun!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
I think my '73 Austin Mini 1000 had that same blue interior.

Nice clean car! Welcome back to the club.