Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Restored my center speedometer!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:05 PM
nicklk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restored my center speedometer!

So I've been pestering you guys with posts the last week or so asking questions, but I tackled my center console due to some electrical problems.....my lights werent working, along with my odometer not working either, and my fuel gauge not working lol

So I tore into everything, and started to clean up the center console and gauges.......here is what I had to start with.

It was pretty worked, it had overspray of white and red from the car, had some nuts from a squirels collection behind the console, about an inch worth of dirt built up inside the console, a good amount of oil sludge from the oil pressure gauge too.

But here was the end product!

I still cant figure out the odometer, I think the length of the speedometer cable isnt long enough to operate the odometer, so its just doing the speedometer and that is it.......and then still figuring out the fuel gauge

Old 08-29-2009, 05:47 AM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
Nice Job! I wish my Clubman's speedo was that small!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:11 AM
OKMini
4th Gear
nicklk - Nice work on the center binnacle... looks great! I opted for a braided line on my oil gauge in lieu of the series of metal and plastic lines that fed up to the gauge. When I took my car apart I took lots of pics on wiring routes, colors, mounting of parts - feel free to let me know what you might need as your reassemble.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Very nice work! If the speedo works but not the odometer, then the cable length can not be the problem. The internal problem with the speedo housing is best found and fixed by experts as found at places like this: http://www.nisonger.com/
If the fuel gauge is hooked up to the voltage stabilizer, try taking the wire at the gas tank sending unit and simply touching it to ground- the needle on the gauge should swing!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:42 AM
nicklk
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OKMini
nicklk - Nice work on the center binnacle... looks great! I opted for a braided line on my oil gauge in lieu of the series of metal and plastic lines that fed up to the gauge. When I took my car apart I took lots of pics on wiring routes, colors, mounting of parts - feel free to let me know what you might need as your reassemble.
I'm thinking of getting a nylon tubing kit from Autometer like this

What braided kit did you go with? I'm concerned that the thread is different then that of the cars gauge. What do you think?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 AM
OKMini
4th Gear
This one is from the Mini Spares website in England - but you can find it from other suppliers here in the US... I think I have seen them on E-Bay

OIL GAUGE PIPE BRAIDED 4'LONG
C-AHT9

Description
With this large diameter line to the oil pressure guage you can actually see minor fluctuations in the pressure at idle or when the relief valve bounces open and closed. Because the braided steel line is one piece from the block to the guage there is less chance of leaks or failure.

£10.99 exc vat
£12.64 inc vat

Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM
man.in.black
1st Gear
good job on cleaning up that cluster!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Looks better than brand new!