Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Review: Multiple Spark System

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
lenn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Multiple Spark System

I found a good deal on the Mallory Hyfire 6EZL kit and decided to install it this weekend. (1275 Metro Turbo Swap)

For those unfamiliar with the product:
http://www.malloryperformance.com/Pr...534&MinID=5344

From the manufacturers website:
HYFIRE 6EZL Digital CD Ignition Features At A Glance: No connections to the vehicle's wiring harness. Power up and go. High output multi-spark ignition system. Includes matching Pro-Master coil #30441. Built in easy to adjust digital rev limiter - 4,500 to 12,000 RPM - no chips required! Latest microprocessor-controlled circuitry Easy to install. Lightweight aluminum housing = maximum heat transfer. More performance and lower power draw. Quicker acceleration and throttle response. Works with points, OEM or aftermarket electronic ignition, or magnetic crank triggers (exc. hall effect). Digital performance at analog prices!

In short, the unit is supposed to produce multiple (8-12) sparks when operating under ~3,000 RPM, increase spark energy and function as a rev limiter. Similar products would be the MSD 6AL or the Summit line of multiple spark systems (I am sure there are many other systems). These multiple spark units are typically universal (switchable between 4, 6, and 8 cylinders) and work with stock and aftermarket ignitions.

As far as installation goes, the 6EZ line is just that, "EZ". The installation was a breeze, as I did not have to tap or splice any of the "factory" wiring. I did not have to remove any of the factory components. The non-EZ kits require you to find the distributor or crank signal wire, remove or rewire the original coil. The EZ kit only required me to re-route spark lead to the distributor and connect the positive and negative battery (not switched). The system gets the signal from the factory coil, and fires the included Mallory coil.

Typical raving reviews from other forums would include the following:
1) Easier to start the car
2) Cleaner idle
3) Fixed flat spot in powerband
4) Better fuel economy
5) Less soot/black smoke from tailpipe
6) Less plug fouling or cleaner plugs

Typical negative reviews from other forums would include the following:
1) Reliability, ignition box died on the side of the road
2) Flat spot in powerband or spark breaking up in high RPM
3) Burnt out coil, distributor or rotor

I can say that I did not see any of the positive or negative effects (aside from a lighter wallet). My idle is about the same, my under 3,000 RPM throttle roll on and off is about the same. I cant say much about fuel economy, soot or plug condition, although i would more than likely guess it is about the same too

Conclusion:
The unit typically costs about $230 + shipping. I picked this up locally off craigslist for $75 new in box. $75 for a rev limiter is a good deal in my opinion!

If you absolutely need to convert from a 8v (?) ballasted ignition to 12v, this might be a good solution for you. If you have flat spots, fouled plugs, poor idle, AND YOU HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE, this might be for you. If you have a pile of extra cash lying around, this may also be for you. Aside from that, I'd pass on the whole "multiple spark" bandwagon. I seemed to have suffered from a case of "monkey see, monkey do" and half believed some of the claims I was reading on other forums.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I find the best systems to still be the original ones, although on my Jag E-Type, since the dist is so hard to reach, I converted to a Pertronix system so I wouldn't have to change the points ever again. 15 years later, it still works perfectly! If/when I buy a Mini classic, I'll convert from the points on it too.

The other thing that will really help your Classic is to make sure the dist. bushings aren't worn or loose, and that the advance weights are free and the vaccum unit is working correctly. Also check the rotor, they've been known to carbon arc......

Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lenn
I can say that I did not see any of the positive or negative effects (aside from a lighter wallet). My idle is about the same, my under 3,000 RPM throttle roll on and off is about the same. I cant say much about fuel economy, soot or plug condition, although i would more than likely guess it is about the same too

So in your professional opinion, doctor, it seems like this product does nothing noticeable, good or bad to your car, if I interpret your comments correctly?

In essence, THIS IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
lenn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
So in your professional opinion, doctor, it seems like this product does nothing noticeable, good or bad to your car, if I interpret your comments correctly?

In essence, THIS IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

Well, if I only used this for the Multiple Spark functionality, yes sir, COMPLETE AND TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY (the 6A, or 6EZ are the multiple spark ONLY units).

I am, however, using this as the electronic rev. limiter, hence why I am keeping it

Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad that you still have a use for this device. I was just trying to make sure I read your comments correctly. Thanks.