Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

I'm sooo confused

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
sterly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sooo confused

Okay, I am shipping a 1980 Mini 1000 over from the UK. I think I've covered everything (after fifty phone calls a day).

I will be selling the car almost immediately (or we hope it does) - what I am confused about is : as we are not keeping the car, what is needed (or not needed) to be done at the DMV ?? - can we simply sell it without changing everything over into our names ?

Look forward to your input

kay

Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call them and see. I know it will be easier for the next buyer if you have a free and clear US title, so if you really want it to sell gfaster, I'd do that legwork for them. it would make ME more open to buying it and/or paying a bit more if I knew I wouldn't have to hassle with it...

Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 AM
brandondonat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Importing

Kay-
I would definately take Imago's advice and register it to save your future buyer the hassle. I have brought three Minis over from the UK and it is very easy to register them with the DMV. However, make sure that you have some sort of a bill of sale so that they can take their cut off of the top for sales tax. Even though it was bought with the sterling pound when I was there in England... the US Govt was more than happy to ask for the sales tax on it and after reading the regulations for my state with them... I was obligated to pay it. It is most likely not very much but all the money saves is that much better. I would also be more interested if the car was registered prior to being bought.. however, it does not actually have to be done.

Make sure you have all of the shipping documents, Bill of Sale, and the original V5 (title) that is for the Mini. They will take the V5 so that it can be sent to the state office. I suggest that as a Mini enthusiast myself that you request that the original V5 is sent back to your address to help the authenticity of the car. They will send the new American Bill of sale to you and the old V5 that is no longer valid and has a VOID stamp on it but it is nice to keep with the car. Just personal preference. If you have any more questions give me a shout... Good Luck! brandondonat@msn.com