Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Chicago area cracked windshields

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 01:59 PM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My windshield broke this past weekend while cruising with another MINI on some Wisconsin back roads near Madison.
Heard a pling noise and I now have a 4 inch vertical crack at the top of the windshield about 6 inches to the right of the rear view mirror.

The bad news: The dealer looked at it and said it was from a stone, not covered by them.
The good news: The repair will be covered by my State Farm comprehensive coverage. Hopefully the car will be fixed on Friday.

The question: Who else in the Chicago area has had cracked windshields?

I know a number of people had problems a year or so ago, but haven't heard much recently..

Old 10-01-2003, 02:59 PM
bbmykal
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no cracks, just a small chip that thankfully has not become anything bigger. It was funny but when I called the Parts Dept. at KNAUZ and asked if they had driver side windows in stock, they said "no, but we do keep the windshields in stock".

Gabe seemed to have a fair share of chips but no cracks as I can remember.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:29 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through 2 quick ones in the summer of '02. Knauz ordered a total of 6 of them for me and found several defective. They then picked the best one out of the remaining four and installed it. That's what I have on the car today. It's got a couple very very small pits in it but it has withstood some huge rocks over the course of the past year. So far so good.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:35 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>My windshield broke this past weekend while cruising with another MINI on some Wisconsin back roads near Madison.
:::::SNIP::::
>>The question: Who else in the Chicago area has had cracked windshields?
>>
>>
>>
>>I know a number of people had problems a year or so ago, but haven't heard much recently..

Well does it count if I told you that I'm not in the Chicago area, but I got a cracked windshield somewhere in the viscinity of Chicago and Iowa? Exact same thing happened to me but my AAA insurance wouldn't cover it. Cost me $422 to replace it. That's glass + installation + tax. They did a great job, but still, ouch. 11 days of ownership and already on Glass #2.

Old 10-02-2003, 06:07 AM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loosing a windshield in the first two weeks is tough..

I was given an estimate of close to $600 from the dealer, but I went with my insurance company reccomended place (Glass America) that came out to work and did it in the parking lot in about an hour.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:56 PM
NRX13
2nd Gear
Damnit! I was on my way to madison about 2 weeks ago and i heard a PING too, top left of my car (facing it) has a small gash in it. Silver on Black:( Ugh stupid rocks!

Old 10-13-2003, 11:23 PM
jh2002
1st Gear
That sucks! I heard that the Cooper has a problem with eating up lots of windsceens. Last week I had some f*** put a large long scruff in the black paint on my roof. I was park in downtown Evanston during daylight hours. What nerve! I spent all weekend using finecut rubbing compound and three coats of wax to repair it. The roof looks great but I can still see a few deep wounds from the right direction. Some people really don't belong in society or near my Mini. Special thanks to the best wax I have ever set eyes on.....Autoglym. It's made in Britain and Crown approved. I buy it from http://www.properautocare.com. Autoglym also makes an awesome glass polish that I have been using. It helps to keep the windows pit and streak free. I will never use windex on my car ever again.

Cheers,

J