Dragon tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Safety Fast...

I think what some folks have a hard time with on the dragon is realizing it is a public road & not a race track. If one is burning up their brakes on the dragon, man are they overdriving.

While it is a fun road it is one that demands utmost respect. Personally I feel safer at 9/10s on the race track than at 7/10s on the dragon.

Having witnessed what too much speed & too little talent can do on the dragon, all I can say is have fun, but be safe.

As the old MG slogan goes... Safety Fast!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To me the Dragon is a "dancing" road. It's actually more fun at 7/10 than at 9/10. Try for smoooooth, rather than rocket fast, and you'll have a much better (and safer) time. It sounds cliche, but if you've driven fast, seriously fast, on a racetrack or autocross course, you simply don't need to overdrive a public road. You can then drive the public roads as a dancer, rather than an idiot.

Another tip: Don't just plan on heading to MOTD to drive the Dragon! There are TONS of "things to do", and even the ones that sound mundane (the caverns, for example) can really be pretty spectacular.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
As others have said, don't drive over your head. Motorcyclists have a signal for cops ahead; they tap their palm on the top of their helmets. If you know LEO is staked out behind you and you see someone running hot coming towards you, pat your roof with your left hand. If you see a pair of EB/W R53s with Detroit Tuned windshield banners in your mirrors, please yield at your earliest opportunity. We'll be polite, but we have lots of experience and we're very fast!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:20 PM
James G
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I'd throw my 2-cents in...
I live just a few hours from Deals Gap (or the "Dragon") and what you have written is true. The road will "eat" the unattentive and idiotic. Its a fantastic road but one that DEMANDS your attention and rational thinking. I used to ride there on my Ducati but the number of unthinking racer wanna-be's just made it too dangerous (and no, I do not ride that way). Don't be one of the few who ruin it for everyone else. Toss your ego, go slow and check out the conditions (especially on your first time through) and enjoy! Oh and said before: STAY IN YOUR LANE.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
James G
1st Gear
"Toss your ego, go slow and check out the conditions (especially on your first time through) and enjoy! Oh and said before: STAY IN YOUR LANE"

My apologies - I just read my post and what I meant was "slow up a little", not "go slow" (as in its not a race).

By the way there are a lot of bear up there - I had to stop while one meandered across the road 30 feet in front of me (glad he wasn't interested - I was on my bike!)

Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 AM
T8rChick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Squirlz
We'll be polite, but we have lots of experience and we're very fast!
As a newbie last year I had one experience when 3-4 of the experienced drivers came up behind me, felt like they were right on my boot, and it took me a few minutes to find somewhere to pull over where I didn't feel like they would run over me in the process. So if the experienced drives would just back off a little us newbies will get out of your way sooner.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 AM
ChipG
2nd Gear
If a faster rider/driver is on your tail, put your turn signal on to show you're looking for a spot to pull off and they should back off some......or the're just asses and they won't. Pulling over is a courtesy so don't kill yourself trying to get over. There is a pretty big drop off on some of the shoulders so be careful

Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Bear Slayer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
I forgot to mention that sometimes when your GPS tells you "Bear Right"
it really means there is a Bear on the Right.

Original post from MOTD04
Wow. I didn't realize I made it into someone's photo archives. It's nice to know that I'm still thought of fondly. Or at least my car is.

A quick update on the bear killing Mini - After killing it's first bear in May of '06, we attempted a small tangle with an 18 wheeler in June of '07. And we lost - again! After yet another major plastic surgery procedure, the Bear Slayer is happily accident free for almost two years now.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the Dragon this year (recessions suck!). But I will be in the area during the July 4th week and I plan to make at least one trip to the Dragon. Y'all have fun without me.

L8r,
Matt

Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
was cruzin into Fontana on at 11:30PM Thursday night from the Knoxville Airport (in a PT Cruiser rental ) just as I entered the Dragon from north end, with in the first half mile I saw 1 deer and group of 15 wild pigs. Fortunately they saw me in time and move off the road, but it just goes to show you never know what is around each corner.

My Dragon tips are to bring a umbrella and good attitude and you'll have a great time and remember that happiness is a choice

Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bear Slayer
Wow. I didn't realize I made it into someone's photo archives.
It's nice to know that I'm still thought of fondly. Or at least my car is.

L8r,
Matt
I had to use your picture of tangling with the bear since my stomach was so
churned up from my bear incident that I never really got any good "after"
pictures of the damage done to the MINI.
But I too am happy to report that my MINI is doing great other than bumping
a gas pump island and scratching the rim recently.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM
justintime
6th Gear
bring more money than you expected to spend :P

Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
That is $ome good advice! Although, MOTD can be done on the cheap and have a lot of fun...

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hi folks- these tips are great. Thanks. I'm a MOTD virgin and actually haven't been in the area of the Dragon for about 20 years... and then it was in a pick up truck! I've been "practicing" for the Dragon here at home- we have some lovely twisties (my area has been likened to West VA), but unfortunately we have small roads, so no yellow lines ! (also no white lines, no shoulders, no pull offs, lol). One thing I've been trying to do with the "practice" is to really get a feel for not only how my clubbie S (manual) handles on curves, but for how "big" it is- as if it were an extension of my body. While we don't have bear, we do have turkeys, deer and snapping turtles... (as well as the occaisional horse, cow or goat that has gotten out and decided to take a stroll).

Seriously, your "other" suggestions & hints have been great (rain gear, be prepared for frost, etc)- what about...
dress code- there are parties and such- Are MOTD functions fairly casual or do people get a little nutty? What about restaurants? Do you know any with a dress code?
Everyone on NAM has been super nice- but I'm guessing that MOTD and the parties *may* bring out the worst in people?!
What about photography? I've been reading about folks with camera mounts -those all seem to be for video cameras... any other suggestions in that front?
I'm guessing there aren't portapotties or outhouses on the Dragon- so it might be a good suggestion to either bring a busdriver's friend or go before you go...
What about security? Have there been probs in the past with that?
I'm sure I have a gadzillion other questions- but please feel free to think stuff up. This thread has been super helpful. Just wanted y'all to know you weren't just posting to eachother

Thanks-

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
dress code- there are parties and such- Are MOTD functions fairly casual or do people get a little nutty? What about restaurants? Do you know any with a dress code?
Everyone on NAM has been super nice- but I'm guessing that MOTD and the parties *may* bring out the worst in people?!
What about photography? I've been reading about folks with camera mounts -those all seem to be for video cameras... any other suggestions in that front?
I'm guessing there aren't portapotties or outhouses on the Dragon- so it might be a good suggestion to either bring a busdriver's friend or go before you go...
What about security? Have there been probs in the past with that?
I'm sure I have a gadzillion other questions- but please feel free to think stuff up. This thread has been super helpful. Just wanted y'all to know you weren't just posting to eachother

Thanks-
No dress codes. I haven't been to a single event or restaurant that has had a dress code, other than please be dressed.

With very few exceptions, the people you will meet at MOTD, are the most friendly, nicest people you could ever hope to spend a weekend/week with. Quite literaly people will give you the shirts off their backs.

No portapotties, go before you leave, or pull over and find a bush/tree.

In my experience, there are ZERO problems with security, and actually, you and your MINI will never be more secure than you are at Fontana/MOTD.

Steve

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The camera mounts are normally universal - you can use them for video cams or still photo cameras (see the little threaded hole in the bottom of your camera?) ... it's just MUCH harder to snap photos while you're responsibly holding on to the steering wheel for dear life! If you have a "navigator" they ought to be holding on, too!

Just like on amusement park rides, there will be professional photographers stationed at key spots along the route, with shutter speeds as fast as our cars. You can visit their websites later and get photos. ANd lastly, the organizers are planning on having a panoramic picture taken with all MOTD-ers.

And as for the portapots - there are one or two places with a fixed -site latrine (oops, I mean toilet), but ya gotta hold it until you get there. Not easy, especially if you get behind somebody going reallllly slow.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
dress code- there are parties and such- Are MOTD functions fairly casual or do people get a little nutty? What about restaurants? Do you know any with a dress code? None that I'm aware of. The Mountview Bistro at Fontana is a nicer restaurant, but there is still no dress code.

Everyone on NAM has been super nice- but I'm guessing that MOTD and the parties *may* bring out the worst in people?! Naw. You may have overexcited folks on the Dragon behind you, but just take it easy and don't let their closeness get to you. I assure you no one will be out there to injure you or your MINI.

What about photography? I've been reading about folks with camera mounts -those all seem to be for video cameras... any other suggestions in that front? With the twisties, taking photographs is a bit difficult. Even holding a camcorder can be a pain. There are different types of mounts out there and a few you can make yourself (I'm trying to perfect my headrest mount), but they all pretty much do the same thing. Key thing is, don't try to fiddle with electronics while you're driving! We want everyone to stay safe out there.

I'm guessing there aren't portapotties or outhouses on the Dragon- so it might be a good suggestion to either bring a busdriver's friend or go before you go... There aren't that I'm aware of, but it's only 11 miles, and Fontana is only a couple miles away from the south end. Plus there's the Deal's Gap resort. I would definitely recommend not driving the dragon with a full bladder!

What about security? Have there been probs in the past with that? I've only been last year to MOTD and MSSD, and there weren't any problems that I was aware of. I will say that if we get windy weather again this year, the Fontana Bucket Brigade may have to be called out again...

I'm sure I have a gadzillion other questions- but please feel free to think stuff up. This thread has been super helpful. Just wanted y'all to know you weren't just posting to eachother Hey, feel free. The more you ask, the more you know!

Thanks-
I do hope you enjoy your first MOTD, it's a great event, and the feeling of seeing all those MINIs and perma-grins is awesome. :D

Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
And as for the portapots
Yes, there's nothing like driving the Dragon while "under pressure", if you know what I mean... go early and go often.

Stay hydrated! It's easy to get all excited and lose track of nutrition and hydration - both of which are key to optimum concentration and physical performance, and believe it or not the Dragon can be tiring.

Ditto the above re/ these being the greatest people you will meet. This is NOTHING like VW's "Waterfest" type activities; this demographic tends to be far more age diverse, heck, far more diverse, period.

Other than some reported antics (I wasn't there) during/after the beerlympics last year, folks seem to really mellow out but still manage to have massive huge gobs of fun.

Check the weather report, though, and bring clothing for 10 degrees under and over. Last year was great, but chances are it WILL rain, so be prepared.

Fontana has a small pool, bring a suit if you're staying there.

There are kids present, and many folks bring family.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You WILL see motorcyclists riding beyond their ability, even if we are all well behaved (which we won't be). EXPECT to have a motorcycle come around EVERY blind corner, with the rider's helmet leaning across the centerline. Because as soon as you don't expect it, it WILL happen. I've nearly killed several folks on the Dragon, while staying in my lane...

If you want to drive fast (while still staying on your side of the centerline) then drive EARLY in the AM or after dark. And expect to hit a bear on the blind corners. Because people do.

While Katie claims we've never had a "really serious accident".... well, that's true, if severe personal injury is necessary to qualify as "really serious". But if totaling your car counts... then those kind of accidents have happened every time I've been there with a large group of MINIs...

As for the brake thing.... if they don't smoke, you're not using them enough IMHO. But different strokes...

Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Oh - forgot the Most Important Rule. We use this around the house with the kids. We call it "Rule Number One".

Don't Do Dumb Stuff

Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 AM
cooper99
Banned
You couldn't have stated it any better. Sorry to burst your bubble newbies, but the Dragon is just an exiting twisty public road with an intimidating name. Don't expect to get any really fast open runs in that weekend with the traffic and officers on patrol.

I spent the first 19 years of my life living 20 minutes away from US 129, and 40 minutes from the official start of the Dragon. I've driven the road hundreds of times, sometimes extremely fast, and never lost control or even had a close call. Just be alert and cautious for other idiots.

Before you head there, please check out a couple of lesser known, extremely beautiful, higher speed, curvacious, fun driving roads in the area that will probably have much less traffic.
1. Cherohala Skyway - About a 3-4 hour round trip from Robinsville to Tellico Plains, TN and back. Lots of elevation change and some great views of the mountains.
2. Foothills Parkway - Begins near the bottom of the Dragon near the lake and goes through the mountains to Maryville, TN and back. About 1 hour to Maryville from the Dragon.

Originally Posted by Crashton
I think what some folks have a hard time with on the dragon is realizing it is a public road & not a race track. If one is burning up their brakes on the dragon, man are they overdriving.

While it is a fun road it is one that demands utmost respect. Personally I feel safer at 9/10s on the race track than at 7/10s on the dragon.

Having witnessed what too much speed & too little talent can do on the dragon, all I can say is have fun, but be safe.

As the old MG slogan goes... Safety Fast!

Last edited by cooper99; 04-14-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
As for the camera mount question. I ran both a video camera and a 35mm file camera the first year I built my oversized mount. The 35mm camera even had a motor drive mounted, and a electric remote release clipped to my seat belt on my chest. It was STILL difficult to move my hand, grab the controller and squeeze the trigger safely while driving. I found I could only do so safely on 'docile' runs. The video of course I start before I pull out and don't shut down till I'm pulled over after.

To get photos OR still ON the Dragon that I like, I find I need at least a moderate wide angle lens. In fact I prefer very wide and the video in my signature I shot with a fisheye adapter on the video camera. I even left the zoom out so far I got a little vignette effect in the corners. I noted this and still decided I preferred the vignette effect with the wide field of vision. Looks more like it does in person to me.

Last edited by mmatarella; 04-15-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Tips?? Well, have a fun, enjoy the MINIs, and really, don't worry about life on NAM a bit. Really....nothing to see here, just ignore the whole thing. Not that there'll be any wee bits of mischief or anything like that. We are totally innocent!! Hey, yes we are!!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM
dee&keith
1st Gear
Is there anyone from the Maryland or southern Pa going to the Dragon????? If so I have the Mini's Motoring Against Cancer Banner that needs to make the trip down.....If anyone can help get it there it would be great !!!!!!!e-mail me at rkdawson@appleauto1.com or call 717-578-0675 Thanks Keith

Old 04-14-2009, 03:48 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
dee&keith: Sent you an email. I know a group is hading down from Carlisle, as well as two groups from the Pittsburgh area on different days.

That's actually a great tip: Drive down with a group of Minis from your area or, better yet, link up with a group coming from further away! Just start a thread "Linking up on interstate (number) on (such and such)day", or something. Mini caravans are great - but remember to drive courteously. OK, drive reasonably. If all else fails, just obey Rule Number One (above)!

BE SAFE! It's all too easy to get caught up in the "pink mist" of the moment...

Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio

While Katie claims we've never had a "really serious accident".... well, that's true, if severe personal injury is necessary to qualify as "really serious". But if totaling your car counts... then those kind of accidents have happened every time I've been there with a large group of MINIs...
yes, I meant serious personal injury that required being airlifted to a hospital. People have wrecked their cars, even totaled them down there...and to my personal knowledge, there has been no serious injury, at least to MINI drivers. Now, that Miata driver, several years back during Midnight on the Dragon, was an altogether different story. He was seriously hurt.

Quick Reply: Dragon tips