5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

MOTD6 something new for 08

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going by yellow mini s's suggestion/example:

generation 1 cooper
-theme
-tuner
-(extra class maybe)

generation 1 cooper S
-theme
-tuner
-(extra class maybe)

generation 1 cooper convertible
-theme
-tuner
-(extra class maybe)

generation 1 cooper S convertible
-theme
-tuner
-(extra class maybe)

generation 2 cooper
-theme
-tuner
-(extra class maybe)

generation 2 cooper s
-theme
-tuner
-(extra class maybe)

Classic mini
-theme
-tuner
-(extra class maybe)

21 classes! yeah!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:04 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd narrow it down. Combine at least the 1st/2nd Gen cars. They're similar, and the tuning/decoration/mods will be similar.

Don't forget the clubman will be out by next Dragon also!

I'd even be tempted to combine the coopers and cooper S's, and just have coupe/cabrio/clubman classes - especially in the 'theme' category. Possibly separate them again for 'tuner'.

Then you are down to 4 classes, counting the classics. 4 is much more manageable for prizes, etc. Have 'judges' vote for the winners, and then do an overall 'best of show'/favorite MINI/Mini judged by the attendees.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by YellowMiniS
I'd narrow it down. Combine at least the 1st/2nd Gen cars. They're similar, and the tuning/decoration/mods will be similar.

Don't forget the clubman will be out by next Dragon also!

I'd even be tempted to combine the coopers and cooper S's, and just have coupe/cabrio/clubman classes - especially in the 'theme' category. Possibly separate them again for 'tuner'.

Then you are down to 4 classes, counting the classics. 4 is much more manageable for prizes, etc. Have 'judges' vote for the winners, and then do an overall 'best of show'/favorite MINI/Mini judged by the attendees.
Agree with you on all points. that will narrow it down lots. the tuner would have to be separate for cooper and cooper S just becuase you can do so many different things to a S (engine wise). Maybe for the tuner just combine cooper and cooper convertibles and then combine cooper S and cooper S convertibles.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
If we do go with colors, I would expect combining colors together, to a point. In other words, a "blue" category which includes Indi, Electric, Hyper, Cool, Space, Laser and Lightning in ONE category. Same for red, green, yellow, etc.

The non-OEM (pink) and very RARE OEM colors (silk green, velvet red, solid gold) could potentially be in their own "rare" class. Just an idea, anyway.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM
blackeyedsuzie
2nd Gear
Love the Field experience of car shows

I think the by color class would be the best! You are so right in even the buy who just wants to show his fave color next to his family members could be proud of his baby with or without mods and bling.

I was kind of expecting that
was equally disappointed that I didn't get to check out others up close and personal.

I didn't even know about the JCW pic
I would have totally been there

Pink....I wish I had a chance to hear your story. I saw it on MINIUSA. I didn't want to interrupt at the Atlantas party.

Maybe next year

I would love to have a group pic of the liquid yellows.
Like the GPs did. That would have been so neat.

Who is sponsoring next year? or how ever that werks...
This was my first this year. Totally loved it.... can't wait til 08

Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Colors will look nice and pictureesque but I think we should stick with models like I have mentioned as well as Darkness.

Putting an S and a Cooper in the same class is not fair.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vdubdoug
Putting an S and a Cooper in the same class is not fair.
Hear, Hear!

I still think separting generation 1 and 2 is a good idea since are the compeletly different side by side and the newer generation 2 model's instantly have the upper hand as far as lack of daily driver road rash.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 AM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
The Show debate continues

Well this car show idea seems to have some interest.

I think the overriding goal should be to let as many people particapte as possible and just have fun. Some level of competition can't be avoided nor would that be desirable but we need to keep it friendly. In that regard, I did not intend that the show would be a concours level show especially in view of the weather this year and that is just as likely next year. Neatness counts but the overall "look of the car", the "mininess" of it, is what I had in mind.
( Is "mininess a word )

I also wanted to be able to see various ideas that I could use on my baby.

Sometimes you see a car and say, " now that's just right". My original idea of color can certainly be modified to fit the situation and combined with other types of classification. I think we are on to something here and if everyone has a "can do" attitude this could be real good ( sorry about the lapse in proper english)

Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 AM
whovous
5th Gear
I don't care who wins and I don't care how many classes there are. All I want is to see some ideas I like and to be able to buttonhole the owner then and there to ask her about it. Multiple small meet and greet shows would work just as well for me, and would solve the problems caused by rain and lack of flat space as well.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ozarkroots
In that regard, I did not intend that the show would be a concours level show especially in view of the weather this year and that is just as likely next year. Neatness counts but the overall "look of the car", the "mininess" of it, is what I had in mind.
( Is "mininess a word )
I like the idea of going for the look. It would be impossible to keep anyone to keep their car in a show ready condition (unless they detailed it there) after XXX miles to get there and after days on the dragon with weather issues. Mine will probably be dirtbag filthy... again.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
I hope you all are taking notes so you can organize this next year...
As I said on another thread, the "official" organizers, whomever they may be next year, will be working their butts off on other stuff. Any and all volunteers would be appreciated, I'm sure!

Dragon theme for next year: If you want it, make it happen.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:27 PM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
Igor! go get me the good rag. Its time for your bath.