4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Question about raffle prizes at MOTD

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about just having a white board, and on Friday draw the winning tickets, write their numbers on the board, and then just have people come and get them at a set time? Cheap and easy.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:54 AM
maxxboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I agree the raffles took a while, we could have had no raffles at all. I feel assured the organizers will come up with a better solution next year.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
Our "Battle of the Brits" car show up here (put on by the Detroit Triumph Club), features a prize booth available during event hours. You show up, pick up your goodie bag and go to the booth to see if you "won" from the raffle numbers that they already selected. It might not be perfect, but it gets it out of the way early, and is available while you have the tickets in your hand. That and making a simple card with the name and contact info of the vendor might be the trick to getting the stuff doled out without slowing down the other events.

And no, I usually don't win anything there either!

Old 05-11-2006, 08:20 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Raffles at any large event are definately a challenge. I think everyone would agree that it's great to have lots of prizes because it means that there's a better chance to win a prize... Unfortunately with a large group and a lot of prizes, it means that selecting winners fairly and then notifying the winners can be cumbersome for the organizers, and even worse tedious for the attendees.

It's something that I have discussed with the organizers of many large events, and a lot of times I hear "well doing the drawings this way went well... We just wish we could figure out how to do it better..."

Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Here's a suggestion for avoiding calling so many no-show #'s. In the goody bag put the duplicate ticket sets (the pullee's # & the puller's #). Then when the person walks in the door they give the puller 1 set. That way most people with numbers in the raffle would be present

Old 05-11-2006, 08:29 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. Let's keep 'em coming. Also, perhaps if folks could fill out tickets, they wouldn't need to actually be present to win? Winners names could be posted on a whiteboard...just a thought.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
sagworks
running with scissors
MiniClo - you were reading my mind. So instead of number it could be done by names/screennames. Post them on the board throughout the event and have prize prize pick up times if people are not present.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:03 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Nah I say if you aren't going to be present you don't win. I mean if I gotta sit through all the # calling you do too if you want a prize

Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Sorry did not mean to offend about the vendor that donated the calendar, but let's be realistic it is May... I appreciate winning something.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Nah I say if you aren't going to be present you don't win. I mean if I gotta sit through all the # calling you do too if you want a prize
I'd normally agree... But at the Dragon, there is SOOOO much going on, it may be better to post the results of the raffle, versus making people sit around while numbers are called. I'd say the raffles combined were well over 2 hours.

And if they're posted somewhere, vendors could include logos, and other ad-related type stuff...

I like this idea.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:41 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
But if the numbers of the non-attendees hadn't been in the pot the raffle wouldn't have taken long

Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Yes the raffles took a long time... yes I had no idea what the blue tickets were for until someone mentioned them at the Farewell Dinner (had to drive back to the cabin to get ours...) does it need work, yes. The ideas posted so far are all good ideas. My only thought is this: If you're not there, you're not there. I'm not a fan of raffles where most of the winners aren't present. Where's the fun in that?

then again... I guess I'm a little partial since our table walked away with BOTH creepers

Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
But if the numbers of the non-attendees hadn't been in the pot the raffle wouldn't have taken long
I attended... Without my 8 raffle tickets. I lost mine, like many others.

And with the dinner raffle, they gave out 200 tickets in the beginning of and 200 tickets at the end the reel, so there were like 1000 numbers, and only 400 were good. So 60% of the numbers called were invalid.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SheaJeff
The raffle at the welcome dinner worked better as the wrist bands were used. That way a bunch of "no shows" weren't called as at the ice cream social.
...except that as far as I know, it was never announced that (a) there would be a raffle at the welcome dinner, or (b) what time it would be at. I didn't know about it until I was given my wristband on my way in. If I'd known in advance I would have made sure I was there for the raffle, so that maybe I would have gotten something else for my $22.

Thanks to all the vendors for so many prizes.
I second that! Trying to figure out how best to give away stuff, because we have so much of it, is a great problem to have!

Old 05-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
A BIG, BIG thank you to all the vendors who contributed to the raffle prizes.
That is pretty much amazing.
Now let's learn from this year and communicate a bit better for next time, otherwise the vendors might get turned off too. I speak from experience here as in my day job I deal with sponsoring events in the cycling world.

Herbert

Old 05-11-2006, 12:59 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a "dual vendor--VacuCam and ShowCarGarage" that gave away lots of prizes..close to $1,000 worth of stuff, I would have preferred the announcements be more clear, and maybe even a small blurb of who the vendor was as the raffle was being called. I'm definitely all for being more efficient in handing out prizes as well, as it was much too lengthy.

In fact, I made my best efforts to go to each winner, introduce myself, and give them a quick low down on what they just won. Maybe next year the Vendor can had out their prizes from the stage as the winner is called up--allowing the vendor to meet, and possibly have a picture taken of the winner.

FWIW, "The Future Queen of Nebraska" won the "grand daddy" of my prizes--a ton of Supreme Shine Microfiber towels.

Richard

Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
I won a car cover at the openning dinner. Anyone know who it was from so I can thank them?
Moss MINI

Old 05-11-2006, 06:34 PM
whovous
5th Gear
Thanks Octane Guy. I am not sure I will be able to use the Mini-VacuCam I won, as I do not own a camcorder or other way to record from the small camera, but I thought it was extremely cool of you to introduce yourself and your product to me. Also, your buckets of towels and supplies had me drooling.

Wait. Is there a way to feed a laptop with the cam? That I have.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:42 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
During the raffle @ the Ice Cream Social, I won a K&N filter (part# 33-2239) for a "non-S". On the package, it says it was donated by TCE Performance Products. Unfortunately, this is for an automatic transmission and I have the manual trans. I need K&N part# 33-2885 instead.

Does anyony know who I can contact at TCE to exchange? If not, anyone interested in this part? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2006, 06:31 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Yup. One way to improve would be to give everyone both halves of their tickets in their bag at registration. THEN, when they walk in to the function where the drawing will occur have those present tear off the one side and put it in the drawing container. Then only those present will be drawn saving much time and frustration. Live and learn. Goes hand in hand with getting the word out on when and how it will be done.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I wasn't there this year so I can't comment.. just chiming in to say that last year there was a drawing @ the Welcome Dinner where there were business cards taped under chairs. At one point we were all told to check under our chairs to see if we had one (I won an oil filter ).

I know its labor intensive, but you could tape a card under every chair (blank side showing so that people can't examine chairs ahead of time and cheat).. some will have a prize listed on them, some are just blank. A person can't sit in two chairs at once (hmmm.. in theory ) so they can't win two prizes. Its quick, all the prep work is done ahead of time, there'll be a big exciting chaos when everyone checks their chairs.. then it'll be done. Its like the quick & dirty way of doing prizes.

Granted, you'll need to make sure that there are enough chairs for everyone (which should probably be done anyway).. so there are flaws to work out as with any method.. but I think it'd be fun.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But who wins if someone is sitting in the winning chair but has someone else sitting on their lap?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:49 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
rarh! so sassy! you going to pick on me in every thread??

Old 05-26-2006, 08:09 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMac2005
During the raffle @ the Ice Cream Social, I won a K&N filter (part# 33-2239) for a "non-S". On the package, it says it was donated by TCE Performance Products. Unfortunately, this is for an automatic transmission and I have the manual trans. I need K&N part# 33-2885 instead.

Does anyony know who I can contact at TCE to exchange? If not, anyone interested in this part? Thanks!
Give me a ring or email, we'll work something out. Give that one to someone else.

>>>>>toddandchris1@***.net

Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
But who wins if someone is sitting in the winning chair but has someone else sitting on their lap?
Well, in some cases, BOTH of you

Quick Reply: Question about raffle prizes at MOTD