4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

MOTD Car Wash Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 AM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOTD Car Wash Area

I'm trying to find out more about the Car Wash Area at the Dragon. Would someone tell us where it will be and what (e.g., hoses?) will be provided? I would like to give Topper a bath sometime after arrival and will bring what is not provided. Thanks,
-John

Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
If the wash area's the same place as last year, it'll be across from the Rec Center. They provide one hose and a lot of clean rags..maybe a bucket. I took all my own stuff last year and will do so again this year. If you take your own stuff, be sure to mark it with your initials or name...that way you won't lose anything...

Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Sam
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Wash

The car wash is in two areas this year. The main area will be where lodging check in was held last year. There will be hoses, buckets, cleaning supplies and instruction from Octane Guy on the fine points of detailing. This area has a somewhat open and level parking area and should accommodate multiple simultaneous car washing. Octane Guy will be demonstrating how to use an orbital polisher and there will be prizes and giveaways.

The second car wash area will be across from the Rec center and I believe can only accommodate 1 car at a time.

Or at least that's the plan.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Off site washes

As the dragon draws near, I have started to put together a mobile cleaning kit so I can keep the car clean. I was curious what everyone uses for a bucket while on the road. I have my mitt, soap, wheel cleaner, tire dressing, interior cleaner, window cleaner and leather polish with plenty of MF towels. Only thing I am missing, that I've noticed, is a bucket. Is there a protable bucket, or does everyone just use the traditional bucket?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sean, put all your stuff in a bucket. Everyone brings their bucket. I'm moving this from Detailing 101 to the Dragon Forum for further discussion by attendees.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Hum, I was hoping to find a more compact solution that I took keep in my car. Finding a hose is easy...

Old 04-26-2006, 09:14 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
If you are registered, just use the tote bag you get as a collapsible bucket.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by S Curvz
Hum, I was hoping to find a more compact solution that I took keep in my car. Finding a hose is easy...
There is a carwashing area at the Dragon, near the Rec Center, which I believe has a hose. Use your bucket to tote your cleaning supplies, and pack 'em in with microfiber towels to keep things from rattling and driving you batty! :impatient

Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Iggy-MCS
2nd Gear
Not that I'm a detailing expert by any stretch, so maybe there's a reason to not use the thing, but the Mr. Clean autowash dispensese soap from teh nozzle, but is still pretty big in the case (~ 12" x 16" x 4") or something.... and you can keep your soap and your mitt in the case.

I'm kind of hoping that those of us who might not have stuff with us can rent stuff from someone else. Seems kind of crazy that everyone would have to bring their own stuff... I'm going to be on another trip prior to the Dragon, so might not have room for all that stuff...

Old 04-26-2006, 09:24 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
I started looking at that, when you said collapsible bucket. It inst very big. I think ill check a camp store this weekend, or just try and figure out where to fit my bucket, my detail kit is already in a toiletry kit.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 AM
SB
6th Gear
I stored all my stuff in a small bucket and it fit easily in the boot on my last Dragon run. The benefit is if things shift and cause something to leak. It leaks into the bucket and not the car.

I'm detailing my car the day before I head out to the Dragon and don't plan to do anything this year other than wash the windows while at MOTD.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by Iggy-MCS
Not that I'm a detailing expert by any stretch, so maybe there's a reason to not use the thing, but the Mr. Clean autowash dispensese soap from teh nozzle, but is still pretty big in the case (~ 12" x 16" x 4") or something.... and you can keep your soap and your mitt in the case.

I'm kind of hoping that those of us who might not have stuff with us can rent stuff from someone else. Seems kind of crazy that everyone would have to bring their own stuff... I'm going to be on another trip prior to the Dragon, so might not have room for all that stuff...
Tsk tsk, Iggy! You know how crazy the MINI folk are about pampering and bathing their MINIs! Also, everyone has their detailing supply preferences on top of that!

I think SB's comment about loads shifting, and keeping leakables in the bucket is right on the money. Alternatively, people can buy a bucket at one of the Dollar General-type stores in Robbinsville.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 AM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
Thanks, samiam01 and kgdblu.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As the dragon draws near, I have started to put together a mobile cleaning kit so I can keep the car clean. I was curious what everyone uses for a bucket while on the road. I have my mitt, soap, wheel cleaner, tire dressing, interior cleaner, window cleaner and leather polish with plenty of MF towels. Only thing I am missing, that I've noticed, is a bucket. Is there a protable bucket, or does everyone just use the traditional bucket?

Thanks
i have a bucket i keep in the boot with all my cleaning stuff in the bucket....
...the bucket fits prefectly in the right side of the hatchback
and a small wind up hose kit (i have yet to purchase) that i'll hook-up to the washer hook-up in my cabin & run out though the dryer vent (gosh, sounds like i've done this before)

Old 04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
koolmini,

Are you sure you want to advertise your private car wash?

Still want me to bring my hose or are you bringing them. You'll need at least 100 ft of it. . .

Old 04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by koolmini
i'll hook-up to the washer hook-up in my cabin & run out though the dryer vent
BRILIANT! I was wondering what to do if I don't have a hose bib on the outside!

I'll have a full set-up at the Dragon as well.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:55 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Oh yeah... back to the 'real' question on this thread...

I just bought a $10 soft-sided cooler from Walgreens last night... It was on the end cap and looked just right for 8-12 cans of soda, beer, water, etc.

How about using something like that?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:01 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Old 04-26-2006, 01:04 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Just so you guys know... I don't plan on spending any of my driving/vacation time standing in line so I can wash my Mini. I would rather be out having fun. But I just wanna let you guys know that if my semi-dirty Mini embarasses or offends anyone terribly, please feel free to toss some soap & water on it

Old 04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Im not going to spend my whole vacation washing, but i do enjoy a nice clean car.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:29 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by bamatt
Just so you guys know... I don't plan on spending any of my driving/vacation time standing in line so I can wash my Mini. I would rather be out having fun. But I just wanna let you guys know that if my semi-dirty Mini embarasses or offends anyone terribly, please feel free to toss some soap & water on it
Plenty of good fun happens at the car wash area! Just watch out...you could end up spending HOURS there...ask Ryephile!

Old 04-26-2006, 01:45 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Im not going to spend my whole vacation washing, but i do enjoy a nice clean car.
Me too but geez I am only going to be there 5 days & I only wash my Mini once a week at home (gasp )

Old 04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I merged the two Dragon car wash threads. It may seem a bit disjointed...

Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
How about moving the thread where it belongs? In the MOTD forum?

Quick Reply: MOTD Car Wash Area