4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Wi-fi at the Dragon for 06??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
cell phone and a usb cable. It will be your friend
So are you saying that there is mobile coverage in the area? If so I'll have my bluetooth mobile wirelessly tethered to my Powerbook faster than you can say dial-up.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
So are you saying that there is mobile coverage in the area? If so I'll have my bluetooth mobile wirelessly tethered to my Powerbook faster than you can say dial-up.
The nearest cell coverage is 20 or more minutes away in either Robbinsville NC or Maryville TN...

Old 01-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
The nearest cell coverage is 20 or more minutes away in either Robbinsville NC or Maryville TN...
That sounds about right.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Sam
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Micheal - I found coverage closer by leaving my cell charging in the car and pulling over whenever I heard my message chime - mostly at higher elevation - and still very spotty.

But hey - certainly an excuse for a cell free 4 days.

BTW we should warn Gabe that Maryville is pronounced much differently than it is spelled.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:29 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by samiam01
Micheal - I found coverage closer by leaving my cell charging in the car and pulling over whenever I heard my message chime - mostly at higher elevation - and still very spotty.

But hey - certainly an excuse for a cell free 4 days.

BTW we should warn Gabe that Maryville is pronounced much differently than it is spelled.
Wow, that's determination! Let me guess though you're using either Verizon or Sprint and not T-Mobile or Cingular (or some other GSM carrier).

With coverage that spotty, then the question becomes just how determined are you to make that call? And for Gabe, is there an available data connection to go along with it?

Old 01-11-2006, 07:30 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Murvul.....but I digress. Gabe and everyone else: part of the great Dragon Event experience is BEING OFF THE GRID! To not be tied to the 'net or to cellphones is really a wonderful experience. So go to the Dragon with the feeling of enjoying yourself without all the electronic gadgetry...other than what is part of your MINI!

Old 01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Murvul.....but I digress. Gabe and everyone else: part of the great Dragon Event experience is BEING OFF THE GRID! To not be tied to the 'net or to cellphones is really a wonderful experience. So go to the Dragon with the feeling of enjoying yourself without all the electronic gadgetry...other than what is part of your MINI!
And Laptop to download photo's from "Dig" camera

Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by TheWrks
And Laptop to download photo's from "Dig" camera
Well, of course, Scott! That goes without saying, doesn't it?

Old 01-11-2006, 07:45 PM
magic mini
5th Gear
www.Wildblue.com

I just got Satellite Internet from wildblue.com. Maybe we can work out a deal with them to have them come and setup up a connection for the weekend.

I would say I could bring mine but to point the satellite to get the signal would be a little hard to do with out the right tools.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 PM
SB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
It's nice to be able to sit down and enjoy the sounds of nature and MINI's without having cell phones going off continually.

Wake up at Fontana about 6am and you hear the birds chirping, exhausts heading out to play and dew dripping from the trees. It beats the everyday cell phone ringing, horn blowing and traffic reports on the radio on the way to work.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by SB
It's nice to be able to sit down and enjoy the sounds of nature and MINI's without having cell phones going off continually.

Wake up at Fontana about 6am and you hear the birds chirping, exhausts heading out to play and dew dripping from the trees. It beats the everyday cell phone ringing, horn blowing and traffic reports on the radio on the way to work.
Totally.......very well-put, SB!

Old 01-11-2006, 09:00 PM
djbohne
1st Gear
birds chirp??

Old 01-12-2006, 05:43 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
This will be a the boys weekend. Four of us are coming down from Chicago in two cars with lots of beer between us. (to be used only after driving hours!!!)
Remember the "Beer Swap" Thursday night at the MKO / OT cabin at Fontana Village. A good way to swap some brews, stories and kick the weekend off to a great start.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:54 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
That was the deal they made with us last year... As to whether or not they are going to follow through with it...
IMO, event organizers should be pressing this issue with them. It doesn't seem right to keep sending to much money to someone who's just going to lie to you like that...

If I remember correctly, the "promise" was just a way to pacify the people that wanted a connection setup for last year. Of course, this late in the game, with most of the rooms already full you've probably lost most, if not all of your bargaining power.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
MiniMiller
2nd Gear
The downside though is that it's a 20 minute drive to either Fontana, or Tapoco, 25 minutes to the Dragon...
Maybe 20 minutes to the dragon if you know how to handle a MINI

In any case, it is a very FUN 20-25 minute drive!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JeffS
IMO, event organizers should be pressing this issue with them. It doesn't seem right to keep sending to much money to someone who's just going to lie to you like that...

If I remember correctly, the "promise" was just a way to pacify the people that wanted a connection setup for last year. Of course, this late in the game, with most of the rooms already full you've probably lost most, if not all of your bargaining power.
Actually that deal was struck with Fontana a very long time before people asked any questions about connectivity for last year... However the announcement was delayed until the details were worked out...

As for pushing it for this year... well that's up to the organizers of this year's event...

Old 01-12-2006, 04:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for pushing it for this year... well that's up to the organizers of this year's event...
And this issue/thread has been sent to the organizing committee for review.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:54 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by JeffS

JeffS, for those who must have internet connectivity, it is recommended that they make reservations at the Microtel, which provides internet connection. Hope that helps.

I personally find that I am more than refreshed by going into the Smokies to drive and visit with MINI friends in the beautiful forested area. I think it is relaxing to be disconnected from the electronic grid. I spend enough time online the rest of the year.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM
whovous
5th Gear
Edit. Never mind.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:58 PM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
Originally Posted by SB

I used my cell phone last year...as an alarm clock. Our inn room didn't have a clock.

Another note to Gabe:
You might want to set up a meeting table. You're probably going to feel like a rock star while you're there!

Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
And this issue/thread has been sent to the organizing committee for review.

Old 01-14-2006, 04:04 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by tsukiji

Old 01-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PEP
I used my cell phone last year...as an alarm clock. Our inn room didn't have a clock.

Another note to Gabe:
You might want to set up a meeting table. You're probably going to feel like a rock star while you're there!
Not sure about the table but it should be interesting

Old 01-18-2006, 07:11 AM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
First off sorry to hijack this thread Aaron!

To answer your question Deb - no my lovely wife will not be in attendance. This will be a the boys weekend. Four of us are coming down from Chicago in two cars with lots of beer between us. (to be used only after driving hours!!!)
Now, that's the right attitude. We are taking the same approach from Pittsburgh.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster
Now, that's the right attitude. We are taking the same approach from Pittsburgh.
Yup! Wut he sed!

Quick Reply: Wi-fi at the Dragon for 06??