3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

Camping at the Dragon!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AppleCello
I just called and "upgraded" my accomodations to a site with electrical hookup. and it was the last site with electricity!! So if any of you are going to just get a tent site, I will be happy to charge your cellphone / radios at my site.

Patrick
I spoke to the Fontana yesterday and it seems there are more hook-up site available on the weekend than the first two days of our event. I'm also asking for a little price break ---- not that I think the price is SO high -- but what the heck -- they have never been sold-out a full month before any event EVER!!! So we are very special.

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have stayed at Jellystone for the past few years - it's great! Any kind of site you want, they have. Nice facilities and store too. http://www.jellystone-cherokee.com/?

Old 03-23-2005, 06:41 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
its more expensive It does look nice, but im the type (at this point in my life) that will pitch a tent almost anywhere... having a place to take a shower and brush my teeth is about all i need.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
I have stayed at Jellystone for the past few years - it's great! Any kind of site you want, they have. Nice facilities and store too. http://www.jellystone-cherokee.com/?
Ok, but that's a solid hour away from where everyone will be. Where's the attraction in staying there when the Fontana campground is what 1/4 mile away from Fontana Village and 11 miles from The Dragon?

That Jellystone is isn't remotely "Camping at the Dragon."

Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 PM
impulse
2nd Gear
Hey AppleCello-- I have a reservation at the campground also but my 'tent' has 4 wheels under it. Will look for you there.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 AM
rwilliams
Neutral
Something to do by the campfire...

Hello campers, my wife and I just made our campsite reservation and all the electrical hookups were taken, only a few tents sites left! In reading this thread someone mentioned the lack of any to do. I had an idea that I thought would be fun for the late evening. (If I had access to some "juice") We could bring a projector and string up a sheet for a screen and watch the Italian Job on the bigscreen by campfire...anyone interested???:smile::smile::smile:

Ron

Old 03-24-2005, 07:25 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
I am definitely up for that! I feel bad now that I took the last hookup site. PM me...

Patrick

Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Camping Rates

Hello, Happy Campers

I got you guys a SMALL price break. Please call the Fontana and let them know you are with the MINI Cooper group to get your rate adjusted.

With Electric: $18.50/ night
With OUT Electric: $13.50/ night

Enjoy your camping and the event.

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-24-2005, 02:00 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
THis is very much appreciated! thanks for your thoughtful coordinating!

Patrick

Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, i'm still trying to convince my parents to let me go away by myself for once lol. ive got a a few power converters so we could run some power from one of our cars. they dont reccoment running a power strip off of one with only oune output, but with a few of them, there could be alot of things running at one time at a site w/o power..... i like the idea of a movie, if noone can get a projector to use, i can throw my 36 inch tv in the back and use that...

ive got both the italian jobs on DVD now so i can bring a Xbox to use as my DVD player...........wait a tick.... IVE GOT A PORTABLE VIDEO GAME TOO!!!! hehehe keep a look out for the rednwhite rolling portable video game/movie theater!!!!

Old 03-25-2005, 06:01 AM
Minzilla
4th Gear
Think again about putting a 36" TV in the back of your MINI and slinging thru 318 curves average 120 degrees in 11 miles, Unless you strap that down really well, you may as well just push the TV over the dam. Trust me, last year with a cooler full of chili, crockpot, clothes, cell phones, cameras, anything not packed tightly will be sliding around the interior like a frog in a blender,, get the picture?

Old 03-25-2005, 06:04 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minzilla
Think again about putting a 36" TV in the back of your MINI and slinging thru 318 curves average 120 degrees in 11 miles, Unless you strap that down really well, you may as well just push the TV over the dam. Trust me, last year with a cooler full of chili, crockpot, clothes, cell phones, cameras, anything not packed tightly will be sliding around the interior like a frog in a blender,, get the picture?

Stop tormenting me its still a month away!

Old 03-25-2005, 07:55 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Not only that, but have you actually tried to power a 36in TV through an in-car power inverter? I'm not sure there's even enough current for the TV to work with one of those...

Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I odnt know, but i'm not one to not try it!!!! i'll test it first lol, i dont wanna get stuck anywhere because my batterys drained from a TV lol. if not, ive still got a portable DVD/TV screen i can bring along for the ride, i'll just power my X box thru the inverter...

Old 03-25-2005, 08:39 PM
snoopy
2nd Gear
I would stay away from the 36" Tv runing off a car battery with a inverter, I have seen some bad things happen when you try and use to much power from car powered inverters

As for the power problem, you could do what I have done on camping trips and it only costed me a six pack. Get a extra heavy duty (ie thick) and extra long power extension lead with a safety switch and borrow some power from the guy next door. Just don't and try to run to much off it.

Snoopy

Old 03-25-2005, 10:03 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
dont worry yourself with a tv like that. a few days away wont kill ya and its hardly worth the effort. bring a couple good books and a flashlight!

Old 03-25-2005, 11:45 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AppleCello
dont worry yourself with a tv like that. a few days away wont kill ya and its hardly worth the effort. bring a couple good books and a flashlight!
The area around the Dragon is so beautiful, and there will be so many fun people to hang with, why bring a tv at all? Enjoy nature, the local fauna and flora, and party with the MINI folk!

Clover