R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Those stinking tailpipes again

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Those stinking tailpipes again

For those of you (us) that haven't had your tailpipes shortened, it's now mandatory... http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/02/...now-mandatory/

Old 02-19-2009, 07:30 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm...

my car was in the shop on Tuesday, they didn't put 'em on...

Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Kazy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you really going to make a big deal about it being 2 inches shorter?

A tailpipe is not a euphemism.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM
rthomas555
Neutral
They replaced mine while it was in the shop getting a new high pressure fuel pump

Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Kazy

Just something about someone telling me my tailpipes need to be shorter when they're fine as is and I like them as they are.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kazy

No, i'm going to make a big deal about why someone made a big deal of it in the first place.

I hear next they are recalling all the knives ever made to put a blunt edge on them.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
No, i'm going to make a big deal about why someone made a big deal of it in the first place.

I hear next they are recalling all the knives ever made to put a blunt edge on them.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Last time I was i for service (3 weeks ago) my MA told me that I HAD to have it done. I told him that it's MY car and I make the decision if I want them or not. He gave them to me and told me that I could change them out if I wanted to or just keep them in case I would ever sell the car and pass them onto the new owner. Either way, it still says the retrofit was completed for my car in the computer. Although it's only 2 inches, I don't like how it looks!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Yeah, I wouldn't think that they could MAKE you do it. Although, they could be sneaky about it and throw them on during an oil change or something.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
are the '09 tailpipes already shorter? the article says it's a bulletin for 07-08 MINIs.

I have an '09 MSC that just got off the boat earlier today... I'm wondering if they will be changing the tailpipes on me at the dealership. (if so, I'll ask if I can keep the old ones)

Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
this obviosly doesn't affect me but i am just interested on why you have to fit shorter tailpipes, how the look and why would anyone be botherd about a cars exhaust pipes?

Oh and if anyone knows if it is possable to fit the R56 pipes on an R53, i think they look a bit better?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
AkFarina
Banned
and what are they doing to make them shorter??

Old 02-19-2009, 11:01 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
The tail pipes are being made shorter because, apparently, a few individuals have "burned" their bare legs on them because they stick out, and BMW is getting complaints or law suits filed or something.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
Okay so i can expect a few pipes going on the market soon? Anyone that wants to get rid of a set of old pipes, just post them to me.

But seriously, that is a bit darft. and why are the people walking so close to the cars after it has been driven hard? do they have no commin sense?

What about bikes? they also have pipes sticking out?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MoxieMini
The tail pipes are being made shorter because, apparently, a few individuals have "burned" their bare legs on them because they stick out, and BMW is getting complaints or law suits filed or something.
"burned"
not sure why the quotes are there...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...56-post23.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...33-post63.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...13-post98.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...31143&cat=1395

Originally Posted by Willy_sa
But seriously, that is a bit darft. and why are the people walking so close to the cars after it has been driven hard? do they have no commin sense?

What about bikes? they also have pipes sticking out?
I assume some MINI drivers want to take things out of the boot when they arrive at their destination. That's also a consideration that most bikes don't demand.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
[quote=fishbert;2673206
I assume some MINI drivers want to take things out of the boot when they arrive at their destination. That's also a consideration that most bikes don't demand.[/quote]

Yes i understand that a mini has a boot and you need to take things out of it time and again. but how many times do press your leg agains a bumper to take things out of the boot?

I was taught that an exhaust is warm after a car has been driven. And if you burn is it realy worth going thru the trouble of lawsuits?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
"burned"
not sure why the quotes are there...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...56-post23.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...33-post63.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...13-post98.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...31143&cat=1395

I assume some MINI drivers want to take things out of the boot when they arrive at their destination. That's also a consideration that most bikes don't demand.
That last one isnt even an R56!!!

Just goes to show how sue happy this country is. Because you were careless, you decide to sue the manufacture. Makes alot of sense.

Dont smash your fingers in the doors, dont touch the brakes after driving the car, dont smash your face repeatedly into the windshield. All of these things may lead to pain and potential lawsuits.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
next thing someone is going to sue a wood company for not stating clearly that a open wood fire is warm, after they burnt themselfs with a fire.

If you are dumb you must wake up or feel the pain.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Willy_sa
Yes i understand that a mini has a boot and you need to take things out of it time and again. but how many times do press your leg agains a bumper to take things out of the boot?

I was taught that an exhaust is warm after a car has been driven. And if you burn is it realy worth going thru the trouble of lawsuits?
You don't need to press your leg against the bumper to get a burn on a protruding tailpipe, you need only brush it. And obviously many people do that, else we would not have a recall and so much photographic evidence of the results.

And I'm sure it's quite easy for people to occasionally forget to mind the exhaust (that's way down there below your normal field of view) when their mind is focused on whatever they're getting out of the back, accomplishing the task at hand. The problem isn't that people aren't keeping their distance from the hot tailpipe, the problem is that the hot tailpipe is positioned directly in front of your legs where it can and does cause harm to people during normal use of the vehicle.

Me, personally? I don't want a burned leg when my MINI finally arrives (which I'm sure would happen eventually, given enough time), but the longer tips do look much nicer... I'd probably go with the original tips. But all the same, I think it's a little silly to question the merit of this particular recall.

Last edited by fishbert; 02-20-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
I'll just qoute a e-mail i got a while back, this is just the introduction but i think it says it all.

"It's time again for the annual "Stella Awards"!
For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico where she purchased the coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving.
Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? "

But then again, this is a matter of how you were brought up, your education and personalities. It won't work trying to debate who is dumb or not. what is done is done and it cannot be changed.

what i started with is that there will be alot of r56 pipes on the market and i was wondering if they will fit on a r53?
our goverment have bigger problems than exhaust pipes burning kids, so i can and want to fit bigger OEM tips and these would be perfect.

Last edited by Willy_sa; 02-20-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Yeah, har har har, coffee is supposed to be hot... makes for a good zinger.

The actual facts of the case aren't quite so simple (or funny). I mean, when was the last time a coffee spill caused you to spend 8 days in the hospital and undergo multiple skin grafts?
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm or even http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

Now, she was not without blame for handling the coffee in an unwise manner... but the difference with the MINI tailpipes is that people are being burned through normal use of the vehicle, due to the central location of the pipes combined with the cargo carrying nature of the boot.

I mean, even Dan Edmunds (of edmunds.com) points this out as a design issue, and I think it's safe to say he knows his way around cars.

Last edited by fishbert; 02-20-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
I think we should just start a theard on Stella awards to put a smile on some peoples faces?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Kazy
2nd Gear
I think there's a lot of patronizing going on in this thread.

"Oh I've never burnt myself so anyone who has must be dumb. "

It happens. Yes, I know exhaust pipes get hot, but it can slip your mind when you have to reaaach back to get something that slid forward in the back.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
They slipped in and did ours during the 30K inspection/visit. I didn't notice it on the paperwork until I got home. Ran out and checked to see how it looked.

Absolutely no change.

The hair goes up on the back of my neck thinking they pencil whipped the adjustment.

I am fine with that.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Sparks
2nd Gear
Pffttt, it's a right of passage to burn your self on the Mini's tail pipe.

When you go to the dealer, just tell they you want to waive the recall if you don't want the new tips.

Quick Reply: R56 Those stinking tailpipes again