1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi All! (introducing myself) - want to help me buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:04 AM
b8b
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All! (introducing myself) - want to help me buy?

As stated in this forum description, I am introducing myself. I live in California and fell in love with the Mini last year. I have done tons of research and I know most things I need to (as far as I know, hehe) except for the following (which I have searched for and can't seem to find):
1. Is there a 2004.5 or something? some '04's have 3-spoke steering wheel and I understand if they do, they have the '05 upgrades like the gearing change
2. was the engine really designed by chrysler? who actually made the engine? can I trust it? (never liked chrysler)
3. Is an '05 not as good in terms of reliability and "bug fixes" as an '06?
4. Why do some '05's have the extra two buttons on the left spoke of the steering wheel like 06's have? (one looks like a phone icon on it)
5. anyone know of any incredible deals?

Any advice on buying would be greatly appreciated. I have posted details on what I am looking for here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=67593

Thanks in advance!
b

Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
b8b
3rd Gear
I'm starting to get really excited! Nothing is finalized, but the folks I am buying my Mini from are realyl nice and they said they are holding it for me, no deposit required. It'sa bereavement situations, so I have to be patient and sensative (well, I don't have to be, but I really want to be as I would want someone to be so for me)... so I don't know exactly when or how much, jsut that I will be paying under market for an '05 DS JCW, #1 &#3 with chrono and driving lights... I have shipping from east coast to west, door to door...

Old 05-04-2006, 09:55 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Ok. I'll try my best to answer your questions.
Originally Posted by b8b
1. Is there a 2004.5 or something? some '04's have 3-spoke steering wheel and I understand if they do, they have the '05 upgrades like the gearing change
For 2004 and earlier cars, MINI offered two options for steering wheels, the two and the three spoke. A lot of people were very disappointed when they discontinued the two-spoke with the 2005 model and only offered the three-spoke. But as far as I know, the gearing change occured with the 2005. All 2004 MINI S-es have the taller low gears found in the earlier models.

Originally Posted by b8b
2. was the engine really designed by chrysler? who actually made the engine? can I trust it? (never liked chrysler)
The engine was made through a joint venture between daimler chrysler and BMW and it is manufactured in Brazil. To my knowledge, no domestic chrysler car uses the engine, but it may be in use on a chrysler offering overseas.

Originally Posted by b8b
3. Is an '05 not as good in terms of reliability and "bug fixes" as an '06?
Thats subjective. If I were buying used, I wouldn't necessarily shy away from an 05 (or even earlier), but if i could get an 06 for a comparable price, I'd jump on it.

Originally Posted by b8b
4. Why do some '05's have the extra two buttons on the left spoke of the steering wheel like 06's have? (one looks like a phone icon on it)
I think that was an 05 1/2 change. Mine is a July 2004 build and it does not have the extra buttons. It also doesn't have the windshield wiper fluid indicator on the wiper thingie, but oh well.

Originally Posted by b8b
5. anyone know of any incredible deals?
nope. but good luck anyway.