1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Am Ordering.. What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:33 PM
herozup
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Am Ordering.. What am I missing?

I have been lurking around the boards for a while and I have made a lot of decisions based on all of the great advice that exists on the boards. So now it is time to order but I wanted to see if I was missing anything.

PS/B Cooper S
Sport Package
17" S-Lites
Black Bonnet Stripes
Premium Package
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
LSD
Chrome Interior
Rear Foglight
Center Armrest

Please give any feedback on what I am missing or what I should not be getting and why.

I know... I know.. opinions are like butt holes... everybody's got one... but I value the collective wisdom represented here.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, herozup! Your specs look good. The only thing I might suggest is the H/K stereo, unless you plan to go with an aftermarket system.

Which upholstery did you select?

Old 04-19-2006, 06:41 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
JCW

Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Looks good to me. I like the chrome exterior also but it looks good both ways

When I purchased my Mini the H/K stereo was in w/the Premium Package but I know it is seperate now. I am pretty happy with the H/K but if it had been a seperate charge back then I probably would have shopped around because I think you can get a better after-market stereo for the money (provided it will work in a Mini, that I know nothing about)

Old 04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
Pick another wheel - the S-lites are to heavy.
Wes

Old 04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Welcome to NAM. If you have an iPod, I suggest you get the option installed as I enjoy NOT listening to the radio when I drive. If you have left over money in the budget, I LOVE my English Panter leather seats. Very soft and comfortable. Well worth the extra $$$$. Otherwise, you'll have quite a MINI once ordered.

One other thing, I almost ordered the HK Premium Sound, but I visited several dealers over a period of 3 months and I had several salespersons tell me to just get the basic stereo with the CD and save the $550. Two of the dealers even had me sit in the two MINIs with and without the HK Premium sound in the showroom, playing the same CD. I noticed in both tests that the door speakers had a tendency to "hum" of vibrate a bit at a great volume as there is not any soundproofing, so I was told, behind those speakers. Plus, if you drive with the sunroof or windows open, I don't think you can tell any difference in the sound quality. So I'm sure with this post you will get someone to tell you how great the HK Sound is, but I'm quite happy with the sound that the standard stereo has. I took my MAs advice and ordered it without the HK Premium sound and used the $550 on some performance extras.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2006, 06:57 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper Guy
Welcome to NAM. If you have an iPod, I suggest you get the option installed as I enjoy NOT listening to the radio when I drive.
Oooh I forgot about that, good one. Definitely get the ipod auxillary switch if you have an iPod or the regular auxillary switch if you have any other brand MP3 player. It allows you to play hours & hours of your favorite music thru your stereo for a relatively cheap investment. Who needs satellite radio when you can jam to your MP3s

Old 04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
usa_3388
2nd Gear
for the auxillary audio input, miniusa.com says it is $40, but does anyone knows how much the installation fee will be?

Old 04-19-2006, 07:30 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by usa_3388
for the auxillary audio input, miniusa.com says it is $40, but does anyone knows how much the installation fee will be?
I think my dealer installed it for $45 but that was when I purchased that Mini. I don't know if that is the regular, any-day-of-the-week install price (it should be but who knows, they like to mark things up a lot)

Old 04-19-2006, 07:37 PM
pezhead444
2nd Gear
Save yourself some money and install it yourself. Get someone with tiny hands and they can plug it into the back of the head unit.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
H/K and space cloth!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
if ya have an ipod.. i say the auxillary audio input.

But its your mini.. get what u want, not what others tell ya to get

Old 04-19-2006, 09:22 PM
rameeti
2nd Gear
Premium pkg DOES include the Harmon Kardon system

Originally Posted by bamatt
When I purchased my Mini the H/K stereo was in w/the Premium Package but I know it is seperate now.
You had me scared there. I ordered the Premium package and I was expecting the Harmon Kardon sound system.

I just checked again and the the Premium package DOES include the HK system.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:25 PM
XAlfa
Banned
I would strip it down to save some weight and many thousands of $$$.

PS/B Cooper S
Black Bonnet Stripes
LSD
Chrome Interior
Rear Foglight

Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 PM
bobdobbs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rameeti
No, it's separate.

EDIT: Oh, separate on the hardtop; included with the 'vert.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM
bpetzold
2nd Gear
loose the sport package and get DSC if you want, but the rest of it is a bunch of crap; especially the wheels. also check your other packages. If there's only one item that makes you want to get the it, get it seperately. I wish I'd done a little research b4 I made the plunge. I would have saved a lot.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
You had me scared there. I ordered the Premium package and I was expecting the Harmon Kardon sound system.

The H/K comes in the convertible premium package but it is $550 stand-alone item on the hardtop (guess cause on the hardtop you get a sunroof instead). You must be getting a convertible.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by STLMINI
JCW
Exactly my thoughts !!!!

Old 04-20-2006, 09:00 AM
cooldude7
2nd Gear
HK System

Rameeti, Are you sure about this? I went on miniusa. It doesnt say the HK system is included in the primium package.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:19 AM
rameeti
2nd Gear
Harmon Kardon is not in Premium pkg for non Convertible

Originally Posted by cooldude7
Rameeti, Are you sure about this? I went on miniusa. It doesnt say the HK system is included in the premium package.
The answer as BAMatt already figured out was that it is only included in the Premium Package if you are specing the Convertible. Silly thing to do to us and make it different on different models. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 AM
nethack
3rd Gear
One of the things I would order if I had to do it all over again:

anthracite headliner

Also, if you're going to do any of the JCW stuff, get it factory installed. I did it the other way and spent WAY TOO MUCH money.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's another vote for the anthracite headliner. really trick look, all black overhead.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
domc
3rd Gear
"I Am Ordering.. What am I missing? "

Money??

Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Your specs look good. It's a MINI, so it will be cool no matter what.

The H/K system and I would recommend the aux audio input, also. I don't have an iPod, but have another brand ( *gasp!* ) of digital music player, and the input gets used all the time.

Since you have the rear fog light, why not get the front fog lights also.

I also recommend the DSC.

Looking at your specs(if it is a hardtop): your wheels and stripes are included in the Sport package(of course with things you didn't have listed, including the DSC and front fog lights). I didn't go looking at the price of getting the package vs your specs vs your specs with the DSC and front fog lights to see how the price changed so it may not be worth it for you.

Deciding among all the choices can be quite challenging. When deciding on my car, I changed things around just about every time I "built" it--then bought from dealer stock(that helped with the decision making process).

Old 04-20-2006, 01:19 PM
herozup
3rd Gear
Gees.. I am away for a day and already 24 replies.... Thanks to all and now to answer the questions and my reasoning behind my choices.

MiniClo.. I am getting the leatherette. I like the look of it and I am not real hip on the extra money for the leather. I look closely at both at the dealership and leaterette got the thumbs up from myself and the wife.

STLMINI... I would love to get the JCW but this is our first MINI and we will be using this for our daily driver. As this is the nicest car we have ever purchased, we are going to skip the JCW this time... but I am already telling my wife, "When I get MY MINI.." meaning #2 in about 3 years... we will see.

bamatt... I know I am going to sound really old (I am 30) but I really don't listen to the radio real loud any more. I think I am going to stick with stock system. I need my heaing for my job... no hearing... no money... no MINI.

Wesport... Probably get some different wheels in a year or so. Then use the S-Lites for winter in Ohio.

bamatt again... I am going to be installing the ipod adapter myself. It was going to be $575 with install a Classic. I can get the addapter and do it myself for $120. Speaking of this one... what are the controls like for the ipod through the head unit. Can you just skip to the next song?

Paulr.. can you get Space Cloth and heated seats together? I like the toasty buns.

bpetzold... I really like the xenon headlights also. I like in the country and these will be a good safety feature. Damn deer are always trying to spoil your night. Plus they just look cool. I also like the front foglights. With those DSC and Bonnet Stripes I am at the $1400. So I am getting the 17" lights basically thrown in.

Nethack.. I thought about the headliner. I have read everything on the boards debating it and I am still not sure. I need to run up to Classic and see a few for myself.

domc... AMEN!!!

mishka... I will be getting the front fog lights and S-Lites in the sport package along with the xenons, bonnet stripes, and DSC.

Quick Reply: I Am Ordering.. What am I missing?