1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof or not??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the tips. The dealer already adjusted and lubed the tracks a while back and it works fine. Noisy trim needs a more personal touch. I'll check the deflectors once the weather warms up. I do know I can apply a little pressure with one finger between the buttons on the sunroof trim and stop the vibration. It seems like there's something behind that trim that's touching and vibrating. Turning up the radio works well too.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My first MINI didn't have the sunroof. I ordered it for Wanda and I LOVE IT! It's a wonderful thing!

Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 PM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get whatever YOU want...if its eating up at you then you better make the change now so you don't regret it later!

Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Deuce Coupe Effect
4th Gear
Location: From New Lenox, IL., but living in West Lafayette, IN.
After debating the issue for a while I was riding in my friends 03 MC with one during the summer and the sun wouldn't stop bugging me no matter the direction we were going and this is with the "shade" mesh thing in use. If there was a way to completely cut off the sunroof when it was bothering me, then I'd have gone for it. I thought it was such a cool design. Personally I think you should test drive one and try to imagine it on a really sunny day. My currect car has a small one, but I really only use it for ventillation.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:51 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I got a silver metallic Union Jack sunroof flag decal installed on my sunroof. It handles the sun issues very well!

Old 03-08-2006, 09:49 PM
BucketheadJones
2nd Gear
Being in Seattle, I can't get enough of the sun when we have it. It's funny to me to hear people complain about too much sunlight. Extra large sunroof for me please!

There's a reason that Seattle leads the nation in sales of coffee and sunglasses.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by BucketheadJones
Being in Seattle, I can't get enough of the sun when we have it. It's funny to me to hear people complain about too much sunlight. Extra large sunroof for me please!

There's a reason that Seattle leads the nation in sales of coffee and sunglasses.
You don't have the same UV-exposure issues that we, in SoCal, have....or those in Florida or other areas have....

Old 03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Okay I posted it once in this thread already I'm in Florida, no UV issues, I wear sunblock and drop the windows just before I get in. I love the sunroof and open motoring! I don't even have tint and it is an all black MCS so it is plenty able to soak up the heat.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
BucketheadJones
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
You don't have the same UV-exposure issues that we, in SoCal, have....or those in Florida or other areas have....
Right, and you don't have the same gray, overcast, drizzly rain issues that we in the Northwest have for months on end...

Old 03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
jdjeff58
3rd Gear
I like the sun roof. It's great for flicking boogers out of the car.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:57 AM
findude
4th Gear
I wanted no sunroof, the wife did. So, we have a sunroof (OK, I got the LSD which wasn't important to her!). Well, since taking delivery in November she still likes it and I still don't. I've never been a fan of sunroofs, and the MINI combines the worst of all the things I hate about them: it lets in too much light when it's closed, it is too noisy when open, and it makes the interior of the car hot like a greenhouse. I have a feeling our MINI time will be divided--she'll get it in the summer and I'll get it in the winter.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, so I'll throw it into the conversation: If you are an audiophile and like really listening to music while driving, skip the sunroof because you won't be able to stand having it open.

But, hey, if you WANT a sunroof, get one!

Old 03-09-2006, 05:04 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gokartride
I've never been a fan of sun roofs...the heat they seem to let in the cabin (on other cars) made it an undesirable option for me.
In 1954 and '55, Mercury sold a model called the Sun Valley. It had a permanent, non-retractable, green tinted plastic plexi-glass half-roof over the front seat. This was in the days when air cond was an option (or not available on Mercury at all. Anyone )

It bombed worse than the Edsel. It was derisively nicknamed the Death Valley

Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 AM
fred3
4th Gear
I've got the sunroof and like it a lot. I'm not concerned about a weight penalty though. No issues so far(bought my '05 in 11/04).

Old 03-09-2006, 05:17 AM
fred3
4th Gear
And hey! If you wanted a quiet car...

Originally Posted by findude
I wanted no sunroof, the wife did. So, we have a sunroof (OK, I got the LSD which wasn't important to her!). Well, since taking delivery in November she still likes it and I still don't. I've never been a fan of sunroofs, and the MINI combines the worst of all the things I hate about them: it lets in too much light when it's closed, it is too noisy when open, and it makes the interior of the car hot like a greenhouse. I have a feeling our MINI time will be divided--she'll get it in the summer and I'll get it in the winter.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, so I'll throw it into the conversation: If you are an audiophile and like really listening to music while driving, skip the sunroof because you won't be able to stand having it open.

But, hey, if you WANT a sunroom, get one!
You should have gotten a caddy, or a lincoln. To each their own. I love the sound of the wind.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:56 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
I wouldn't have a car without a sunroof. I love the fresh air. It can be 40 degrees out and I will have the sunroof open and the heater leather keeping me warm. I have the windows open as much as I can.

And when you get in the car on a hot summer day, just open the sunroof and all the heat escapes immediatly.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:56 AM
SB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Okay I posted it once in this thread already I'm in Florida, no UV issues, I wear sunblock and drop the windows just before I get in. I love the sunroof and open motoring! I don't even have tint and it is an all black MCS so it is plenty able to soak up the heat.
I live in Alabama and even though I have the black roof. The sunroof was fine. On occasion sun would beat straight down during noon. Then again, without the sunroof, the sun beats in the side windows the rest of the day.

Speaking of music and the sunroof. Nothing beats cruising some back roads at night with temps in the 70's, the sunroof open to the stars and playing some Phil Collins or your music of choice.

Ok, I'm going to have to leave this thread. I'm starting to miss my sunroof and I'm not trading again.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:58 AM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a sunroof! I like having a sunroof because it's such a small car, and it felt a tad claustrophobic when I sat in a MINI without a sunroof. Yes, it creaks in the extreme cold weather and, yeah, it's loud when it's open. I like it also because my last car was a convertible and this resembles that environment because there's so much light in the car. Finally, I feel the shades provide the cockpit with ample protection. I always leave them shut and never have issues with the sun blinding me.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for the audiophile comment...

the best stereo system in the world is the windows and sunroof wide open, with my Alta intake and Milltek exhaust howlin' at about 5,000 RPM!

Screw the head unit, just put the windows down, pedal to the metal.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:56 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Man, get the cabrio and eliminate ALL the above issues. When the sun's beating down you have a full roof, when it is a little too cold for full top down you have a great built-in sunroof which is MUCH wider and quieter then the hardtop sunroof (because you can roll down the rear windows and get air flow to reduce the wind roar) and, of course, when it's right you have NO roof!! Best of all worlds.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Another vote for the sunroof. It's at its best when driving around town under 40 mph. Love it this time of year when temps are in the 70s.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I've had my Mini for almost a year, & I have the sunroof.

If I could get another Mini, any way I wanted it, it would again have a sunroof.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:14 AM
ReneMini
2nd Gear
I have the sunroof...I have only had my car since Feb--so haven't had a chance to try it out in the great St L summer--uughhhh...
I do agree with the noise factor...but the fact that it is so large--I just feel so excited tooling down the road with it open and the windows down...
BTY, if you have any back seat riders...ie children,friends, etc....it does help them feel like they are part of the "mini" experience and adds to the roominess in the back...
I still pine for the cabrio...maybe someday....

Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 AM
ReneMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants
Get a sunroof! I like having a sunroof because it's such a small car, and it felt a tad claustrophobic when I sat in a MINI without a sunroof. Yes, it creaks in the extreme cold weather and, yeah, it's loud when it's open. I like it also because my last car was a convertible and this resembles that environment because there's so much light in the car. Finally, I feel the shades provide the cockpit with ample protection. I always leave them shut and never have issues with the sun blinding me.

I must add--what a fantastic picture....great shot...thanks...made me smile...

Old 03-10-2006, 10:48 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by banjoez
Man, get the cabrio and eliminate ALL the above issues. When the sun's beating down you have a full roof, when it is a little too cold for full top down you have a great built-in sunroof which is MUCH wider and quieter then the hardtop sunroof (because you can roll down the rear windows and get air flow to reduce the wind roar) and, of course, when it's right you have NO roof!! Best of all worlds.
But you can't put a windsurfer, kayak, skis or bike on top of a cabrio...

Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 AM
hong
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
But you can't put a windsurfer, kayak, skis or bike on top of a cabrio...
That question bugged me for a long time before I decided on sunroof, California sun cries for a cabrio, well in the end I remind myself it will be equally important to be able to carry other fun toys with me, the flat Mini roof is the only non-suv car which I find looking good with a roof rack, and that's pretty much the No.1 reason I have to buy a Mini, silly isn't it? Since I can't get a cabrio I must have a sunroof, and man it's huge!

Quick Reply: Sunroof or not??