1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignorant question?

Old 11-30-2005, 08:00 PM
PjTheJester
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignorant question?

**I posted this in MINI Talk but I wasn't sure if it was the right place, so I copied it here...hope that's okay**

Well, I have had my baby MINI (named her Dory) for just under a week and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE her! I drive her every chance I get and everyone agrees it just fits me...

I am constantly smiling when I drive this car.....however...I do have one small question. If what I am about to describe is normal for MINIs, please excuse my ignorance....

When accelerating from a stop or slowing down to stop (I have a MCCa with CVT) I notice that the car kind of jerks back and forth when its going about 10-15 mph. It seems like she is having a hard time adjusting between coming from a stop to accelerating to about 20 mph (and vice versa). She just doesn't seem to like first gear. Of course if I floor it after the light turns, she picks up and goes wonderfully. But if I have to gradually speed up due to a slow poke car in front of me, she is really jerky.... The same thing happens when I slow down gradually. Transmission problem? Or is it just a new car trying to break itself in?

Does anyone else experience this? I am still in the break-in period with just about 500 miles on it. Any input (even if its to tell me that its normal) would be greatly appreciated.

I am slowly but surely learning about how to be a good MINI owner. My only other previous car was a 1996 Saturn SL1 until I sold it to get Dory. I don't have a lot of "new car" experience, and have NO MINI experience...

Thanks in advance.....(and I'm not trying to be a whiner, just a good mom)

~PJ and Dory

Old 11-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Slowride11
2nd Gear
Its the CVT that you have to get used to..completely different shifting experience than a regular auto.. i'm sure the CVT board will be able to help you out more than i can.. but basically thats how the auto works on that car..

Old 12-01-2005, 08:39 AM
PjTheJester
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Slowride11
Its the CVT that you have to get used to..completely different shifting experience than a regular auto.. i'm sure the CVT board will be able to help you out more than i can.. but basically thats how the auto works on that car..
Excellent! Now I will quit obsessing and learn how to drive the damn car! I can't wait for the break-in period to be over so I can really have fun with her. Someone needs to show me all the different modes....... Thanks for the info!

God I love this car!

~PJ

Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our new Cooper CVT does this also. At first it was alarming but we quickly adjusted our driving style and you will too without even thinking about it to compensate for this weirdness in the transmission. .

Old 12-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Deuce Coupe Effect
4th Gear
Location: From New Lenox, IL., but living in West Lafayette, IN.
Last weekend I drove two coopers (both CVT), a test drive in one at a dealer and one that belongs to a friend of mine. The test drive was jerky all around, but my friends was smooth through every single gear. I asked my buddy about it and he said that you have to kind of train your car. I've heard of this before, and since you aren't even out of break in period I suspect that is what is happening. Give it time and I think it will smooth out as it learns how you drive.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Deuce is right....your CVT will get smoother/better with time. It just has to get used to you and you have to get used to it. After a few thousands miles everything will work well I still love my 02 CVT after all these miles

Old 12-01-2005, 01:39 PM
PjTheJester
2nd Gear
Great!

Thanks guys and gals! I appreciate the feedback and now I feel a lot better about it. I hope she trains me well.... ::giggle::

~PJ