1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Cruise Control

Greetings All,

I've just acquired a '02 MCS EB/W with 9k miles :smile: . But no cruise.
Is it possible to add cruise control? (Without breaking the bank?)

Thanks,

Les

Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
soofle
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes (but not without breaking the bank) I've been trying to find something similar for the '05's but for earlier model years, the parts dept. at your local dealer should be able to set you up with a MFSW retrofit kit which, among other things, gives you cruise control. However, without knowing what the kit costs I can say that labor isnt going to be cheap. I forget what the official instructions estimate for labor time but i think it was in the 4-6 hour range so figure on 400-600 bucks plus cost of parts. This is because they have to add a wiring harness to the car to interface with the wheel. I am pretty sure that you don't have to buy a new wheel though. I think the kit takes the standard wheel and adds the buttons to it rather than replacing it outright. However, if you're gonna spend that kinda money, you may (if you like the three spoke) want to consider swapping to the three spoke wheel that comes in the '05's. You can get a 3-spoke w/multifunction as a replacement for earlier style wheels. You may have to get a new airbag module if you go that route though. Ask your parts gal/guy and they can give you pricing on all this but remember to add a few extra hundred to your budget for labor.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:55 AM
C4
Banned
Welcome to NAM

I do know that MINI sells a retrofit kit for vehicles that were originally manufactured without the cruise control/remote stereo controls (Known as MFSW -> Multifunction Steering Wheel). I don't know of anyone that has had it done at the dealer, but I do remember seeing the official MINI instructions on how to install it a few years back.

Ask your dealer. This could be an expensive retrofit but I am not sure on the cost and implications.

Originally Posted by moreorless
Greetings All,

I've just acquired a '02 MCS EB/W with 9k miles :smile: . But no cruise.
Is it possible to add cruise control? (Without breaking the bank?)

Thanks,

Les

Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
MFSW instructions

I have the retrofit instructions & would be happy to email them to you. PM me an address & I'll send 'em on.Best - Bodinski

Old 06-27-2005, 04:34 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most Excellent

Yes, Most Excellent. I think I've sent you a PM. Being a novice at this I'm still learning how to drive the bus!