1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YANTNAM (Yet Another Newbie to NAM): pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
YY
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YANTNAM (Yet Another Newbie to NAM): pricing question

Hi All,
My first post! I just recently placed an order for a 2005 MCS with a few options -- premium, sport, and limited slip differential. I have a production number showing the correct configuration, and it should be scheduled for production sometime this week. I can't wait! This is actually a surprise birthday present for my wife. I hope it arrives in time come late March.

Now regarding my pricing question, I've configured the car out on MINIUSA's website and with the $550 destination charge, the total comes out to $24,150. That's MSRP. My salesperson claims there's no adjusted dealer markup fees, but he comes back to note that there's some dealer prep fees (car detailing, undercoating, etc) that total $497 in addition to the TT&L and documentation fees. Is this normal practice? Sounds like a dealer markup to me.

My salesperson says this fee is non-negotiable and is included with all new car purchases. I know $500 is a small percentage when we're dealing with a $25k car, but I'd rather get some accessories or the HK sound package with that money than some "undercoating". Anyone not have to pay such a fee? TIA

- YY

Old 02-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Solarmax_Racing
2nd Gear
It is excessive for some areas (Mid america and east coast)... usually there is some "documentation" fee like $150 plus or minus $30 on a purchase at MSRP.

Undercoating... prep... bull

Shop around or go out of state just on the principal of it... if you can. It would discourage gouging for unwanted dubious extras.

Just my opinion.

CB

Old 02-14-2005, 01:31 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, YY! When I bought both of my MINIs, I paid MSRP (at Long Beach MINI in SoCal). The dealership details every MINI to remove the protective goop after the overseas journey. The additional $500 sounds bogus to me....."undercoating?" Hmmmmm....

What color did you order for wifey: interior/exterior?

Clover

Old 02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by YY
My salesperson says this fee is non-negotiable and is included with all new car purchases. I know $500 is a small percentage when we're dealing with a $25k car, but I'd rather get some accessories or the HK sound package with that money than some "undercoating". Anyone not have to pay such a fee? TIA

- YY
YY,
Aloha and welcome to NAM.
The $497 fee is a dealer profit pack, an optional method to add on profit with little to offer that is worth it. Our dealership doesn't add that sort of fee if the MINI is ordered- they will charge MSRP only but if the MINI is delivered and sold in stock and on the lot then they will add an interior package and an exterior package for added profit. So each dealership is different in their approach and efforts to sell MINIs and be fair.

You can argue about the sale given this $497. If it is a "deal breaker" let your MA know and be tough. They will have to decide if it is worth it to loose a sale or if anything else can be done to add value.

On the other hand if it saves you time in ordering a MINI or if you are willing to pay this fee just to get a MINI then that is what the market allows.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
YY
Neutral
Thanks for the warm welcome. Great enthusiasts community here!

Originally Posted by MINIclo
What color did you order for wifey: interior/exterior?
It's a Chili Red with white roof/mirrors and no bonnet stripes. Interior-wise, it's the default alloy patina with black leatherette upholstery. I wanted the body-colored dash but that was nixed by the boss. She still has no idea that this car is on order.

Originally Posted by minihune
You can argue about the sale given this $497. If it is a "deal breaker" let your MA know and be tough. They will have to decide if it is worth it to loose a sale or if anything else can be done to add value.
Thanks for the suggestion. I called around some more and found a few dealers who don't charge the extra fees. I'm going to ask the original dealer to "pricematch" the deal. If that fee is their policy, then no biggie. Granted, the wait will be a bit longer, but I think it's worth the tradeoff.

- YY