1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini owner and new to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:06 PM
Guillo99
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini owner and new to the forum.

Hi everyone I’m very happy to finally own a Mini Cooper I always look at them but never pull the trigger until now out of all mini I really like the R53. 2006 cooper s but was always looking for one in Black until yesterday the engine it’s in great condition but it have some transmission trouble I got a really low price w the intentions of do a Rebuild on it and refresh all other components that needed attention while they taking the car apart .this it’s my 3er car in the how so it’s no a rush o getting it done so I want everything done before it’s out the shop so if you guy have suggestions on things I should replace and take attention it will be really appreciate.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:53 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, Guillo99!
Show us some pics, tell us what year R53 it is and what transmission it has.
Pics always help us to help you!
Congrats on your R53 buy!

Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Guillo99
Neutral
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
its a 2006 automatic transmission because it will be used everyday day on NYC traffic and for me manual it’s great but I get tired of doing it every day .

Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 AM
Guillo99
Neutral
here where i find transmission fluid ,where this leak may come from ?

Old 03-30-2019, 06:20 PM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Guillo99,
Are you sure that is transmission fluid? It seems to be on the wrong side of the transmission. That looks like it may be an oil leak.
Does it not drive in any gear? Make sure it is not low on fluid and only use recommended transmission fluid, if it is low.
Oil leaks are pretty common and one bad area is the oil filter canister. The o-ring can be damaged during installation. It takes a 36/37 mm short socket to remove it.
A common oil leak is at the crank position sensor under the front of the block, just right of the supercharger.It is an easy fix and usually only needs a new o-ring, but sometimes the sensor leaks too! The valve cover can also need a new gasket, as they all seem to leak at some point also!
The plastic coolant tank on the firewall always fails and can cause overheat and engine damage. Many of us use a metal replacement tank, but make sure to get one with the pressure cap. I use one that takes the original cap. The plastic tank usually fails at the seem and can be had to find, but if you are getting dried up coolant on the aluminum heat shield below the tank, it is most likely split.
It is important to use full synthetic oil. Use only premium (high octane fuel).

Old 03-31-2019, 05:26 PM
Guillo99
Neutral
Hi Guillo99,
Are you sure that is transmission fluid? It seems to be on the wrong side of the transmission. That looks like it may be an oil leak.
Does it not drive in any gear? Make sure it is not low on fluid and only use recommended transmission fluid, if it is low.
Oil leaks are pretty common and one bad area is the oil filter canister. The o-ring can be damaged during installation. It takes a 36/37 mm short socket to remove it.
A common oil leak is at the crank position sensor under the front of the block, just right of the supercharger.It is an easy fix and usually only needs a new o-ring, but sometimes the sensor leaks too! The valve cover can also need a new gasket, as they all seem to leak at some point also!
The plastic coolant tank on the firewall always fails and can cause overheat and engine damage. Many of us use a metal replacement tank, but make sure to get one with the pressure cap. I use one that takes the original cap. The plastic tank usually fails at the seem and can be had to find, but if you are getting dried up coolant on the aluminum heat shield below the tank, it is most likely split.
It is important to use full synthetic oil. Use only premium (high octane fuel).
im pretty sure is Transmission fluid but i I can’t find where it’s coming from .maybe from the oil cooler or inter cooler line ?

Old 03-31-2019, 08:18 PM
ItsmeWayne
Most often, the power steering reservoir hose loosen and leak. Make sure not to use regular power steering fluid, as it requires a special hydraulic fluid, you can find this out in the gen 1 and gen 2 areas.(powre steering oil makes a huge spot on the ground, but it does not take much to look bigger than it is!if it is wet around the power steering motor, it is typical leak area.
The transmission would be leaking out of the bell housing and the driver side of the car.