1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mini Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mini Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Hi, from Puerto Rico and new to the Mini Scene but learning as I go.
Just bought an 2006 Mini Cooper Checkmate S 70K miles, manual 6 Speed.
It has it's issues for an older mini, but I'm trying to sort them all out.

Just Ordered an M7 Pack with Pulleys, Coil, wires, spark plugs +1 Colder, Cold Air, and Belt Tensioner, 180 thermostat (it's very hot down here)

Trying to sort out a space and time to do the Maintenance for Supercharger, water Pump and maybe Clutch since I'm there, but I have not noticed any slippage.

I do see some previous owner wired the Radiator Fan to be ON directly, have read some posts about this problem with the low speed module and people going this route, just need to make sure its not a bigger deal, since I did get a P0128 (thermostat cold error)
Did also see my heat shields for the exhaust are missing also, don't know if that's some kind of tune mod? or just bad monkey wrenching?
My only other error is a constant Airbag light and NO horn, which seems to point to a bad clockspring, will test this out this week.
Hope to gather some good resources from here!

Old 12-01-2018, 09:34 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family, SiRaDuDe!
This site is like the Bible for Mini Coopers and more information than you can handle! You bought the best year for gen 1 Minis' and making it run like it should, is important. These engines can out live you, if you keep them up to spec.
The two speed fan feature is important and should be corrected, unless you race it! It is an easy fix and is not expensive, just a pain in the *** to do, as you need to put it in engine service mode, by taking off the front end. (you can see this on several posts. It is not hard to do and you will become skilled at it, after doing it a couple of times!) I hope you know how to wrench, as taking it to dealers for every little thing, would kill your wallet!
Go to the gen 1 area and you will be overwhelmed with the information you can glean from there.
Make sure to only use full synthetic oils and only high octane fuel.
Show us some pictures, so we can see this bad boy Mini!
Congrats on your purchase!
Side note: Make sure to get the heat shields replaced, as they are important, to keeping the engine bay cooler, which is even more important in hot climates!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 12-01-2018 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SiRaDuDe (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:22 PM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to NAM, and like said this site is full of useful info. I also would like to see some pics of the Checkmate... one thing I would recommend is do a google search for a specific issue and NAM will be the first post most of the times, the search function on this site kinda sucks.

SiRaDuDe (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Heatshields are installed, and yes I can turn a wrench here and there with a little help from my friends.
These Checkmates seem to be full of features, just need to sort some of them out.
One major problem is my Headliner is not just sagging it seems the cardboard material might be damaged in some areas it looks bad,
Finding a replacement has been imposible, especially to ship to PR, will try to fix by reinforcing with some resin / epoxy, before upholstery work.
The paint has been retouched and some parts re-painted black by previous owner, its fine by me, some panels are loose and some screws are missing, but that just adds to the fun of making it mine.

This is how I got the MINI... Soon some pics after initial work has been done.
Lots of parts ordered!

Sagging a lot in the rear, and heavily mushroomed towers in front. All new suspension has been ordered, including strut mount braces with fixed camber, rear adjustable rods, Front and back coil overs, springs and 22mm rear sway bar.

Missing Hood "V" Decal, Original has been ordered. Lights need allignment badly. Alarm retro fit has been ordered.

Side Decals are very worn, Originals have been ordered. Original Rims were painted by previous owner, not a bad job.

Also waiting in the mail are many other Happy Happy Joy Joy Parts...

Anyways.... here's a VIN# breakdown.
  • Type Code RE33
  • E Series R53 ()
  • Series M
  • Type COUPE
  • Model COOPER S (USA)
  • Steering LL
  • Doors 3
  • Engine W11
  • Displacement 1.60
  • Power 125 <--- This seems off?
  • Drive FRONT
  • Transmission MECH
  • Colour SPACE BLUE METALLIC (A49)
  • Upholstery STOFFLEDER CHECKMATE/PANTHER SCHWAR (FGPN)
  • Prod Date 2005-12-08
  • P7ANA MINI Checkmate
  • S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
  • S210A Dynamic stability control
  • S228A Sports suspension settings Plus
  • S249A Multifunction f steering wheel
  • S255A Sports leather steering wheel
  • S262A ITS - Head airbag
  • S2RHA MINI LA wheel Flame Spoke 97
  • S2TAA Differential lock 25%
  • S319A Integrated universal remote control
  • S3AFA Roof and mirror shrouds, silver
  • S3AKA Engine-compartment lid stripes silver
  • S403A Glass roof, electrical
  • S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
  • S441A Smoker package
  • S450A Height adjustment, passenger seat
  • S470A Isofix-System
  • S481A Sports seat
  • S493A Storage compartment package
  • S4ARA Interior surface Checkmate
  • S520A Fog lights
  • S521A Rain sensor <---- need to verify this, I think it needs service/part/fix.
  • S522A Xenon Light
  • S534A Automatic air conditioning
  • S546A Revolution counter
  • S547A Cockpit chrono package
  • S550A On-board computer
  • S563A Light package
  • S5AAA Rear fog light
  • S645A BMW US Radio
  • S650A CD player
  • S657A Radio, BMW Business/MINI Boost
  • S674A Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
  • S692A Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
  • S736A 2nd radio remote control key
  • S823A Hot-climate version
  • S845A Acoustic belt warning
  • S853A Language version English
  • S876A Radio frequency 315 MHz
  • S895A Additional fan
  • S8SPA Control unit COP
  • S925A Dummy-SALAPA
  • S992A Control of number-plate attachment
  • S9AAA Outer skin protection

Last edited by SiRaDuDe; 12-01-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:11 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi SiRaDuDe,
The power is Killowatts, not hp, but is is just a number they put in there. There is no point trying to assume a HP rating, as all things are not equal and most Minis have slightly different at stock.
The chrono package is one I require on my Minis. I see yours has it too! S547A
It is a good looking car and I think you will do it proudly!
Make sure to only use premium high octane fuel (91+ octane)
Full synthetic engine oils and change out the trans oil with Redline MTL (about 1.7 quarts)
Only use NGK iridium plugs (if you want it to perform well. BKR6EXI (6418) Some like to go one colder, but I find these good!
Check the front bushings (rubber) and ball joints and tie rod ends, as at this age, they are all going to hell.
Keep us posted on your work! I wish you all the best in bring it it to what you want! It's a cool Mini!

OH yeah, the headlights are auto adjust, from the control on the driver side suspension. They do go bad, but also corrodesion at the plug can halt them. Every time you turn on the lights, they should lift automatically.

SiRaDuDe (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
If the headlight leveling sensors are working, check the inside of the headlights to make sure the ball and sockets for the adjusters are still connected. They can pop loose from slamming the hood too hard or hitting really big bumps.

From your pic it looks like the projector is pointing towards the grill so one of the sockets might be loose. There are two sockets in each headlight. Here’s a pic a pic of a loose socket:

SiRaDuDe (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Great info.
These lights seem to hace been removed for hood repair (hence the missing "V" decal and repaint).

I've also found that there are 2 posts with a flat grove on the back of each light.
By turning these posts, you can fine tune the height and side to side of the main projector light.
My lights (even after the initial level sensing) ended one way higher than the other, and both really low.
I've roughly adjusted them up to an aceptable level but they are still cross eyed. It's hard to fine tune having to raise hood then shut, then raise again over and over...
Also I have NOT look at the leveling sensors at the suspension to check for any problems.

I did not notice that ball joint, will have to look for that.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:56 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Here's a list of parts ordered and pending delivery.
When installing these parts, I will check for suspension ball joins and bushings, there will probably be some Polyurethane Bushings added to the mix.
I'm sure something else will pop up during installation. Posible Fan Assembly

*Note: I need the Part # for the Cockspring used in my 2006 model with multifunction 3 spoke steering wheel... (maybe I will start a thread asking for this)

1. Strut Mounts
2. 4.5mm Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates with Fixed Camber
3. H&R 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bars
4. Adjustable Rear Control Arms
5. H&R Street Performance Coil Over Kit
6. MSD Coil
5. NGK Iridium Spark Plugs +1 Colder
6. 180 Degree Thermostat
7. Belt Tensioner
8. M7 Speed Cold Air Intake
9. Silicone Intercooler Boot
10. M7 Speed 16% Overdrive SC Pulley
11. M7 Speed 4% Ultra Lightweight Crank Pulley
12. Micro-V Drive Belt
13. Full Set of Checkmate Original Decals including Hood Decal
14. Genuine MINI Alarm Retrofit KIT including Turn Signal Switch with Alarm Indicator Light
15. Supercharger Pulley Puller
16. an Alpine Radio head Unit VOLUME ****!

Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by SiRaDuDe
Great info.
These lights seem to hace been removed for hood repair (hence the missing "V" decal and repaint).

I've also found that there are 2 posts with a flat grove on the back of each light.
By turning these posts, you can fine tune the height and side to side of the main projector light.
My lights (even after the initial level sensing) ended one way higher than the other, and both really low.
I've roughly adjusted them up to an aceptable level but they are still cross eyed. It's hard to fine tune having to raise hood then shut, then raise again over and over...
Also I have NOT look at the leveling sensors at the suspension to check for any problems.

I did not notice that ball joint, will have to look for that.
The ball joints should be on the other end of the posts you used to adjust the headlights, inside the housing. If you remove the cover on the back to get to the bulbs you can see the joints. If the headlights are cross-eyed and won’t adjust, the horizontal joints probably popped out of their sockets.

When closing the hood try not to slam it or let it drop. I usually set it down on the first catch then push down right behind each headlight to get the hood secured on the second catch.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome, nice find, i remember when this came out.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172