1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drive Weekend is here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:19 AM
coach74
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Test Drive Weekend is here!

Been loitering around the forum for a few weeks and reading some of the horror stories and feel good stories about MINIs. I'm finally ok with my decision to go ahead and possibly buying my first mini. I coach football and we don't have a game this weekend so I'm heading to San Jose to test drive 2 Cooper Clubmans. Both at dealerships with carfax reports. One is a 2011, the other a 2009 non S base model. Wish me luck.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Good luck. Approach Carfax with caution it isn't always the full story.

The following users liked this post:
coach74 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Evlkarl
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Since you are a Coach bring your "Test Drive List"..: I hope them 2 Mini,s are at the Mini Dealer if not here are some steps I always took when I bought a car at an Indy Dealer.

If you can bring a friend with you 4 eyes and ears see and hear more
Keep the Radio off so you can here the Engine and Transmission and unusual noises
take you time for a test drive (most Dealers do not like it) but it is your money. Myi test drives always have been 30 to 45 minutes.I take the car out on the Highway Back Roads City Driving and Speed Bumps.
If you find a car that you like look it over alone or with your friend without the Salesperson test every function Button and Switch to make sure everything works
Have the Dealer put the car on the lift and check it out the same way you did in the lot ( you be surprised how many times that shinny car leaked dripped and had things loose on my test drives.

One last thing keep a cool head if something does not feel right to you than it is probably not right.

Ask for service records if available look them over

If you can have an Indy Shop check the car and pay what they charge for it. It might be the best money you ever spent.

Hope I did not come across that I have Test Drive OCD but after buying so many cars over the years I learned my lessons.

Good Luck keep us posted.

Last edited by Evlkarl; 09-21-2018 at 09:05 AM.
coach74 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 AM
coach74
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evlkarl
Good Luck.. Since you are a Coach bring your "Test Drive List"..: I hope them 2 Mini,s are at the Mini Dealer if not here are some steps I always took when I bought a car at an Indy Dealer.

If you can bring a friend with you 4 eyes and ears see and hear more
Keep the Radio off so you can here the Engine and Transmission and unusual noises
take you time for a test drive (most Dealers do not like it) but it is your money. Myi test drives always have been 30 to 45 minutes.I take the car out on the Highway Back Roads City Driving and Speed Bumps.
If you find a car that you like look it over alone or with your friend without the Salesperson test every function Button and Switch to make sure everything works
Have the Dealer put the car on the lift and check it out the same way you did in the lot ( you be surprised how many times that shinny car leaked dripped and had things loose on my test drives.

Ask for service records if available look them over

If you can have an Indy Shop check the car and pay what they charge for it. It might be the best money you ever spent.

Hope I did not come across that I have Test Drive OCD but after buying so many cars over the years I learned my lessons.

Good Luck keep us posted.
Thanks! I'm new to California so I don't have my own mechanic yet. But I'll ask them to put it on a lift so I can fine comb it. Also, when I test drove a mini back in July I tried to drive it longer than around the block and the salesman asked me to not do that. Well, I took him and the car back to the lot and left. Without saying a word. He knew he screwed up. He tried emailing me for 2 weeks apologizing and saying its not policy for potential buyers to take the cars for longer drives.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Good luck on the search, I would go on the 2011 up.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
coach74 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:03 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM! I hope it all goes well for you!

Old 09-22-2018, 05:20 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum