1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mini!!! 06 R53 BRG S

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Mini!!! 06 R53 BRG S

Hey guys! wanted to check in! First mini after years of loving them. I did pick it up for my wife who loves BRG. Got it for a good price needing a little love.
My story, Run a performance shop here in NNJ we do some fun stuff and my daily is an E90 M3 in silverstone.
While we have done plenty of work on mini' s i always enjoyed driving them. I wanted a BRG R53 S in 6 speed but since the wife doesnt drive standard we got one with the 6 speed auto.

Here's what ive done so far and i'll sprinkle in a few questions for you guys.
Front control arms, both ball joints, and The full bracket + bushing. *Made a tremendous driving feel and difference
Both complete Tie rods + alignment *Again with the alignment more piece of mind + the car tracks great now
Full WMW Stratmosphere resonated exhaust. The stock exhaust has a res delete already but was rusting slightly on passenger brief case more then i wanted to deal with.
M7 Front strut bar to help slightly with handling but mostly to prevent mushrooming

Couple questions
-The car has the factory rally lights, switch illuminates however lights don't light up. Think wiring? i replaced one of the bulbs and still nothing

-The car at low speeds is VERY tight to turn the wheel. I'm used to more difficult power steering systems. is this normal before i change the pump fan and reservoir with new fluid. i hear a faint electric whine, not the power steering whine im used to. however i know these things are common issue, just wondering if i'm spending money when i shouldn't

-Here is the biggest problem. I have an EP light on dash, P&D on gear selector is not lit up. Car when cold shifts fine and even when its warm on the highway cruising it shifts great as well. if im in stop and go 30mph> and the car is warmed fully it occasionally has a hard up or downshift + intermittent slip. The fault code reads out Verbatim from Ista Code 002C11 EGS: Steptronic switch : No function with M on. This is the only fault that keeps coming back. First drive after i clear fault i get the P-R-N-D on the MPH cluster to appear, once i turn car off EP light comes back in place of those. I've done fluid flush + Re adapt and it helped significantly however it still has the fault re occur.

Any help would be appreciated as well as Hello's! I will be more then active on these forums and hope to help contribute myself!

-Jeff

Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff@autocouturemotoring

Couple questions
-The car has the factory rally lights, switch illuminates however lights don't light up. Think wiring? i replaced one of the bulbs and still nothing

-Jeff
The factory relay (behind the switch under the dash) is wired so that the rally/fog/aux lights will only illuminate when the high beams are on.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Couch (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Derek86
The factory relay (behind the switch under the dash) is wired so that the rally/fog/aux lights will only illuminate when the high beams are on.
Ahhhhhhhh I will give it a shot today! Thanks!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
welcome.

Yep only with high beams for safety from MINI.

On the steering, if its not the pump most of the time its this:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-any-tips.html

EP problems, check out here. Some people clear it and its ok, some people had to get a new module. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ep-issues.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Mr.Couch (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I thought you could change the floglight coding with ncsexpert

Old 02-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
welcome.

EP problems, check out here. Some people clear it and its ok, some people had to get a new module. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ep-issues.html
Thank you so much for the help!

Old 02-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
welcome.

My guesses are
-Shifter assembly
-Paddles on the steering wheel
-TCU module
-6 speed swap

Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome and Howdy!

Rallye Lights, well... you could re-wire them so the positive lead comes from a constant power source... but they really should only be on with the High-Beams.

Transmission - there has also been a couple of transmission MAPings that can be applied to help shifting.

EP light on dash - hmmm, this is one that I, can't really guess... it maybe resolved by the MAPing I mentioned above. Or possibly the Rotational-speed sensor(s) input/output.

the P&D not illuminated on the most likely is the light ... I was looking for a image but no luck.

Motor On!

Mr.Couch (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JABowders
Welcome and Howdy!

Rallye Lights, well... you could re-wire them so the positive lead comes from a constant power source... but they really should only be on with the High-Beams.

Transmission - there has also been a couple of transmission MAPings that can be applied to help shifting.

EP light on dash - hmmm, this is one that I, can't really guess... it maybe resolved by the MAPing I mentioned above. Or possibly the Rotational-speed sensor(s) input/output.

the P&D not illuminated on the most likely is the light ... I was looking for a image but no luck.

Motor On!
Thank you so much for the information. By Maping your me update the firmware on the TCU module? or is this more of a tune? I have dug and dug in regards to the fault i am getting and here at the shop we have bmw Ista so i have full diag capabilities but the diag is telling me TCU, or shifter assembly. tough to swallow that stuff just on a possibility vs seeing if someones encountered this before

Old 02-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Can I suggest you give me three options for a name change as the spammers are going to love knowing if that is your email address with a simple dot.com. Hmmm, male enhancement ads, penny stocks, russian women looking for love, your long lost relative in Nigeria left you a million etc all from Jeff.

Mr.Couch (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Mr.Couch (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:54 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Welcome to NAM.

Can I suggest you give me three options for a name change as the spammers are going to love knowing if that is your email address with a simple dot.com. Hmmm, male enhancement ads, penny stocks, russian women looking for love, your long lost relative in Nigeria left you a million etc all from Jeff.
HAHAHAHA!!! That made my morning!! i will Pm you now! thank you! and i always knew i had a cousin in Nigeria! psh always looking for money...

Old 02-23-2018, 05:33 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Good choice of color! That was the exact color combo of my first MINI. You're gonna LOVE owning a MINI- especially a R53.

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Mr.Couch (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OutMotoring
Good choice of color! That was the exact color combo of my first MINI. You're gonna LOVE owning a MINI- especially a R53.
Thanks! i love the color too! even though its for my wife i have been enjoying driving the car the past few days!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM! Congrats on your purchase of the Great 06 Mini Cooper S!
Now be nice and show us some pics!

Old 02-26-2018, 07:03 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM! Congrats on your purchase of the Great 06 Mini Cooper S!
Now be nice and show us some pics!
Thanks! It is in for service now for the seat occupancy recall but then, after a detail, everyone gets pics!!!

Before i dropped it off i refinished the headlights and WOW for 15$ and an hour of time well worth doing it yourself!