1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:24 AM
AngelicVictoria
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello!

My father gave me (nearly) his MINI. I'm very new to cars and stuff. I would like to make it faster in the future, but I have no idea what to buy. All I know is that it is a 2002 Mini Cooper S and it has 85,000 miles. My father said its the 23rd model of that in the U.S. and he has a shirt to prove it. So being new to cars can I get like 300HP on my Mini? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Theoretically you could get 300hp out of it - cost wise and the amount of work needed, it may not be worth it. That's alot of modifying.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the nam family. I think 300 HP on road Mini would not be the right direction, but they already handle well, but could use several mods to make them better at it.
It is practical mods that keep your car fun to drive on the street!
Meet several others and drive with them and you will see what you want out of your Mini.
Post up some pics, when you can, as we love to see Minis

Old 04-01-2017, 11:54 AM
AngelicVictoria
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is one!! Will post more once it's out of the shop

Old 04-01-2017, 02:56 PM
timthechef
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and good luck!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats. Cool to see one from one of the original owners.

When you're ready to make it faster let us know we are happy to help.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-05-2017, 12:05 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Number 23 is right at the front of the line for these Minis.

This is one of the best handling cars on the road... ever. Do the reasonable mods to up that hp moderately, like the 15 to 17% reduction pulley and look up some of the Mini speed shops that do remapping/stage tuning. I think you'll find it faster than you think it can be. There are Mini owners on here that race their Minis and get quite a bit of extra power from their motors, maybe in the 220 to 250 hp range. Reaching 300 hp would take a good chunk of money!

Another thing you can do to get better performance is lighten the car as much as possible. You can start that by finding lighter wheels, doing a rear seat delete and the like. Good grippy tires, bigger front and rear bars and suspension tuning will also improve performance on the road.

Do some research before you go all out and then take it one step at a time. Right out of the box, your Mini is already a great car to drive. Enjoy it and post what you end up doing. More pictures are always appreciated on this site.

Plus, you know you have a very nice Dad, right?