1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from RI!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:42 AM
eforer
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello from RI!

Hi Everyone!

My father purchased a 2015 Mini Cooper S brand new last year in February. We've recently started using the car together at track days as it's far more enjoyable to drive in anger than my MKVI GTI. We did our first SCCA Track Night together a few weeks ago and I (we) are joining the forum to learn more about this fantastic little car.

Thanks,
-Ed

Old 06-20-2016, 01:00 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome aboard! Track Nights are great, and would love to see some pix of your 2015. Did it have, or did you make, any mods? How were the brakes and tires after a session? We have won multiple SCCA championships with Minis, have worked on them for over 40 years, and had the first new BMW MINI is the USA. So, we're here to help! BTW, which track in RI?

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:21 AM
eforer
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Welcome aboard! Track Nights are great, and would love to see some pix of your 2015. Did it have, or did you make, any mods? How were the brakes and tires after a session? We have won multiple SCCA championships with Minis, have worked on them for over 40 years, and had the first new BMW MINI is the USA. So, we're here to help! BTW, which track in RI?

We ran the car stock off the showroom floor with the crummy run flat tires. Both my dad and I have a fair amount of experience in road racing and this was our first time driving a production car and a front wheel drive car on a race track. It was a lot of fun, but VERY different. 2 seasons ago I ran the same track (Thompson road course) in my Formula 500 SCCA car and the mini was 15-16 seconds a lap slower! Once I got used to backing my braking points up etc, I really started having fun.

We wrote off the set of tires that night. They were borderline too dangerous to drive on for the ride home (left front was DESTROYED!). The brakes were pretty useless when pushed. After 3 laps the pedal was going to the floor. Unfortunately, without any good aftermarket pads available for the Gen 3 car, looks like the best we'll be able to do is put some RBF600 brake fluid in and see what happens.

The car is leased, so we won't change anything other than consumables.

Thanks!
-Ed

Old 06-21-2016, 11:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Welcome.
Not too much out there for the Gen 3 MINIs yet, RBF600 is some good stuff. So you would just be going OEM.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by eforer
We ran the car stock off the showroom floor with the crummy run flat tires. Both my dad and I have a fair amount of experience in road racing and this was our first time driving a production car and a front wheel drive car on a race track. It was a lot of fun, but VERY different. 2 seasons ago I ran the same track (Thompson road course) in my Formula 500 SCCA car and the mini was 15-16 seconds a lap slower! Once I got used to backing my braking points up etc, I really started having fun.

We wrote off the set of tires that night. They were borderline too dangerous to drive on for the ride home (left front was DESTROYED!). The brakes were pretty useless when pushed. After 3 laps the pedal was going to the floor. Unfortunately, without any good aftermarket pads available for the Gen 3 car, looks like the best we'll be able to do is put some RBF600 brake fluid in and see what happens.

The car is leased, so we won't change anything other than consumables.

Thanks!
-Ed
We have a good selection of pads for street, autocross and race so take a look here:

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Results/brakes/default

The yellows are good for the street and track:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMB2...58-R59-R60-R61

The reds more for tuned street use:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMB2...58-R59-R60-R61

And, here's a good application guide that details pads and the proper brake fluid.

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lication_Guide