1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post .... and the normal plea for merciful help ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:03 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First post .... and the normal plea for merciful help ...

Good Afternoon.

Somebody please remind me how I took possession of this automobile ... YIKES!!!

2007 Mini Cooper Base Coupe / R56 / N12

It was my daughter's car, but, due to a crack in the thermostat housing she overheated it around Christmastime last year. I replaced the thermostat housing, but there were obviously some problems created by the mishap.

Took it to a friend who is a service manager at an (American car manufacturer) dealership, but said he was scared of nothing. I like him. I trust him. But this car is crazy!!! (Mini dealerships are 2.5-3 hours away!)

I said I took it to him ..... well, that was at the end of January! .... now, pretty close to nine months ago.

Anyway, a problem with the head. Found a rebuilt one. Replaced it. Wouldn't start. Replaced the solenoid on the front of the engine, as it didn't check out.

(Honestly, this sounds like a project only taking a few days, but has been months!!!!)

Anyway .... somewhere along the line they got it running. I drove it home one evening, back to work the next day .... then it wouldn't start that evening. They had to haul it back over there.

Anyway, we keep getting this code P105C .... Control Motor Tight .... and THAT'S ALL the info we can come up with.

He had the car transported to a Mini dealer at his expense, but they proved to be fools.

Found out that I needed to get the Bentley manual, got it, but still not seeing this exact symptom addressed.

I'm having to suppose that the "Control Motor" .... the Valvetronic Motor .... the Eccentric Shaft Actuator are all the same thing ....

There are instructions in the manual for how to remove the motor, but not as explicit as I would like, considering it won't run.

He finally realized that he could screw the valvetronic motor in all the way (hex, on the back of the motor) and the thing would fire up and purr like a kitten. But kill the engine and it won't start again. What happened? The valvetronic motor can be screwed in again, and if fires right up and purrs like a kitten ....

The only info I can find for a ECU/ECM reset on this model is to put in the key, push the start/stop button without putting my foot on the brake. Hoping that in that process that it will "learn" that position and sweep. So far, I cannot tell if that process is happening or not.

I know that there are ways to check the different components on most engines ... like alternators, battery, etc .... but is there a way to test this valvetronic motor to see if it is functioning properly .... obviously it is doing something. Or, what signals the motor on how to operate?

Anyway, I am sure glad you all are here, and although I've been pouring through this site for info, I'm getting desperate, and he's getting discouraged.

So, THANK YOU for any input!!!

AND, the little I have driven it, I love it!!!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM. This is the introduction section of the forum so you may not get a very good response to your question. The crack in the thermostat is common unfortunately. Usually it starts as a hairline and pools on top of the transmission. The Bentley Manual will definitely come in use for the future, so it was still a good purchase. Try posting up in this section of the forum here for a better response to your issue. I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-27-2015, 12:48 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Hello and welcome.

The thermostat information is here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

Make sure it was done right and everything was plugged back in.

Sounds like its been through many hands , is this what was replaced ? 11368610388

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ucker-off.html

Or 11377533905

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11377533905/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-27-2015, 01:23 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
The thermostat housing was an adventure, and, for the life of me, I have no clue why the engine was designed to make it impossible to see what you're doing when hooking up that pipe across the back of the engine .... : D

The solenoid was replaced early on in this adventure. It needed to be replaced.

The second item is where the symptom is. The code (P105C) only states VVT Control Motor Tight, and at this point I can only discern that the photo above depicts the "control motor".

(Mounted) You can screw it in with a hex wrench and it will fire right up. It may even start several times in a row. But go back to it when you think about it and it will not start. And it still throws up the code. You can screw it back in and it starts right up.

So, not sure, A) what the proper ECM reset is .... read (several times, online) about a reset that starts with pushing on the odometer stem, but I think that is for the R53 engine.

I could not find the proper sequence in the Bentley manual, but thought I'd read that you put the key fob in and push start, without depressing the brake pedal (this is an automatic) and let it go through its sequence to relearn everything. Tried that.

Then I read somewhere else about stomping on the gas pedal 10 times and shaking a rooster's feather at it four and a half times ... (or was it squeeze a newts tail until it screamed?) .... DID NOT try any of this .... yet.

B) Not sure if it's in the control motor or in a signal that it is/is not receiving from somewhere else.

Does this help?

Thanks Again!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:57 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
Perhaps this is the simple question:

Does anyone know what the symptoms are of a bad/failing actuator motor are?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:09 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Not sure if this will help, but I did run across this thread here where the individual was having issues due to their actuator.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:27 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
Thank You.

Does anyone know how to reset the ECU/ECM on the R56 (N12)?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:45 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by tnoiset
Thank You.

Does anyone know how to reset the ECU/ECM on the R56 (N12)?
Check out this thread here. Specifically post #18.

From another thread:

Resetting the DME (engine management module) "adaptations" can be done through BMW specific software (INPA, DIS, or ISTA).

Old 10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
tnoiset
1st Gear
THAT!!!!! Is EXACTLY the answer I needed!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

Even if it means I can't do it myself ... : )

YAY!

Sad part is that I had read that thread over the weekend and missed that entry.

Thanks Again!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:48 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
THAT!!!!! Is EXACTLY the answer I needed!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

Even if it means I can't do it myself ... : )

YAY!

Sad part is that I had read that thread over the weekend and missed that entry.

Thanks Again!
You're very welcome. Glad I could be of assistance with your issue. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:03 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You can try the battery terminal and leave it off for a while. Most values are stored by the ECU and trans computer. A local MINI dealership can do the reset, you need to call around to another one and let them know it needs reset.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-29-2015, 02:23 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
What do you have to have to scan (INPA/DIS/ISTA) or program this Mini ... ? I mean is it affordable? or just something that a BMW/Mini shop can afford?

Going to search thread (should have done this before posting question)

Last edited by tnoiset; 10-29-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Going to post it as a new thread (or search other threads before posting.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:50 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Anytime you use the software, you'll need a subscription to BMWTIS.com. The hardware you'd need to purchase directly from BMW. There are various scan tools out there that will read faults. Autologic is by far the best, aftermarket tool, which will do programming without a BMW subscription, but they do have a small yearly subscription fee $1000 or so. If that tool at $6000 is too expensive, there are various bootleg ISTA laptop based tools that will read faults. To program (ISTA-P) you will need a pass through tool such as the I-COM or similar hooked up to a laptop which will program your car albeit very slowly over the internet. It may be a better investment for you to utilize a MINI indy shop that has this software already.

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 10-29-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
Thank You for the info .... Kinda scary, and sounds like a road trip (on the back of a flatbed) may be in order .... no Mini dealers within 2+ hours, and seems none of the locals care to make the investment or care to fool with them ... I guess I'm finding out why.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
You're welcome. Sorry to hear that and I hope you get this all figured out. If you need anything let me know. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:17 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
P1025 VVT-Self-Learning Function No Positions Stored (Bank 1)

Ox285e

These two codes popped up with the mechanic's new scanner. I found the P1025 explanation, but no cure.

Any ideas?

☺️

Old 11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
P code = P1025 / MINI FC = 0x285E - VVT-Self-Learning Function No Positions Stored (Bank 1)

Don't see much out there on the internet about this code for MINI unfortunately. Did you try to clear it and see if it comes back?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:06 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
P1025 VVT-Self-Learning Function No Positions Stored (Bank 1)

Ox285e

These two codes popped up with the mechanic's new scanner. I found the P1025 explanation, but no cure.

Any ideas?

☺️
Did you try the battery trick ?

Old 11-06-2015, 02:11 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
P code = P1025 / MINI FC = 0x285E - VVT-Self-Learning Function No Positions Stored (Bank 1)

Don't see much out there on the internet about this code for MINI unfortunately. Did you try to clear it and see if it comes back?

Yes, although we do not have the BMW tools to "do it right".

The motor is in there, and we've disconnected the battery for an attempted reset; we've put the key fob in and pushed start without pressing the brake pedal. You can hear things going on, but no "learning" is either happening, or is not being stored anyway.

The deal is over two hours away, and is probably scratching his head every day, wondering why we haven't shown up with it yet ... : D but I'm not the one making the decision on that yet.

You can rotate the hex screw all the way, do the dry run with the key fob, it starts right up. Kill the engine, and it won't start, or even hit, at all. Same code. Then you go back and turn the screw again and it fires up.

I'm just trying to eliminate/discern whether it is a part problem or a programming problem .... and if a "programming problem", if it is something that can be done here.

Please, just say, "Take it to the dealer!!! We'll pay for your gas!!!"

: D

Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
This might be a dealer case and rescan. I would talk to several MINI dealerships if you have one or buy another new part and toss it in. Personally I would get the part and try it. Then go to the dealer, they can do a full scan to see if its a malfunction in the wire or part of a bigger problem.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:27 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Yes, although we do not have the BMW tools to "do it right".

The motor is in there, and we've disconnected the battery for an attempted reset; we've put the key fob in and pushed start without pressing the brake pedal. You can hear things going on, but no "learning" is either happening, or is not being stored anyway.

The deal is over two hours away, and is probably scratching his head every day, wondering why we haven't shown up with it yet ... : D but I'm not the one making the decision on that yet.

You can rotate the hex screw all the way, do the dry run with the key fob, it starts right up. Kill the engine, and it won't start, or even hit, at all. Same code. Then you go back and turn the screw again and it fires up.

I'm just trying to eliminate/discern whether it is a part problem or a programming problem .... and if a "programming problem", if it is something that can be done here.

Please, just say, "Take it to the dealer!!! We'll pay for your gas!!!"

: D
Well, it seems you're still in good spirits through all of this, which is good. Not having everything needed, it may be time to throw the white flag. Let me know what you dig up if you decide to keep digging a bit further and I'll try my best hand at helping. Maybe try updating your other thread too and see if one of these great NAM MINI maniacs might have an idea for you.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:45 PM
tnoiset
1st Gear
😂😀😀

Well, Mini dealerships ...

It was already shipped (at no small expense!) to one dealership. The Service Manager would not return calls.

Did finally call to say, "$139.00 to scan it."

OK, do it.

"Well, we have to pull the valve cover ... $139.00"

O-k-a-y ... d-o i-t ....

"Looks like it may be 'out if time' ... $2,000.00"

Sorry, looks like you're out of line AND out of time.

(Seems his "scan" would have addressed this problem we're having quickly)

There's another Service Manager, although too hard to get in touch with, does seem to be far more reasonable to deal with.

I dunno ... I thought we were all in this together .....