1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howdy from Florida

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Howdy from Florida

New to the forum and wanted to do a little intro.

Wife and I are about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2015 Mini S 4 dr HT.

Originally looked at the 2 dr S and the JCW, but after comparing cargo space and overall looks, decided the 4 dr still looked like a Mini and allowed better cargo and rear seat access.

Configured one to add all the JCW packages (minus the stiffer suspension) and got the price up to mid $36K. Comparing other cars similarly priced, still want the mini because it is distinct and unique. Nothing out there looks like a Mini. Guessing the 4dr HT is the F55 model

Looking forward to getting schooled on Minis and will also be picking the brain-trusts knowledge base for advice.

As mentioned, we are going with a lot of options (including the JCW sun screens, lighted sills and rear view mirror cap). My wife had concerns about visibility with the screens, so I will defer that to people that have them installed.

Including a pix of the car we are considering for your perusal. Our only debate is going with a black roof over the white. Florida sun can be brutal and black is a solar panel. (although the black may look way cooler).

Attached Thumbnails Howdy from Florida-my_mini_desktop.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the black roof. Who cares about comfort, it's the look that matters! I live in Arizona with a black roofed MINI. I did several experiments between white and black roof cars. During the summer here both car interior temps hit 142. Sounds like you will have one nice ride. Keep us posted.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 AM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome! From another Floridian, Sarasota area. When you get a chance look up sunshine minis.org there are chapters all over Florida doing fun stuff.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-05-2015, 11:15 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Howdy right back at ya! and Happy Easter....lol

Old 04-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
your location only says Florida .....

Next Saturday there is a large British Car Show in Mead Gardens of Orlando .... the show is NEW MINI FRIENDLY

http://allbritishcarclub.com/

Name:  CarShow3312012.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  62.8 KB

Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Sorry Bonita Springs (N Naples area)....land of the white Lexus.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 AM
M7Speed
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Floridian here. Welcome. Enjoy, great group of people.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Sorry Bonita Springs (N Naples area)....land of the white Lexus.
Welcome, from Naples (formerly Fort Myers).

Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 AM
DivineXtacy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome. I think you might have done this, but try to test drive the new Mini(F56) vs the older model it replaced(R56) again and focus on how you feel driving the two cars. Please sit in both cars and do not start them and try to gauge what you feel about them. I have a 2013 R56 S and I drove the new model and I did not like it for the following reasons:
-The extended wheelbase reduced the nimbleness feeling that I always loved in previous generation Mini's. There is nothing "Mini" about this car. To me, it felt like driving something along the lines of Nissan Micra or Hyundai Veloster or entry level AB segment sedans.
-The front nose extension is reminiscent of the new BMW group design. It seems more like a BMW than a Mini to me. I believe that the new 1 series will be cross-platformed with this Mini model.
-The center dial(dinner plate) on the Mini Cooper was not just a speedo dial. It was the essence of the Mini. No Mini owner complained about that dial for over 6 decades and suddenly, BMW felt like replacing the dial with a i-drive system phablet screen. Not only did it ruin the Mini design philosophy; but the plastic above and below the screen is gaudy. The form of that center dial does not follow the function and for the first time in my life, I felt like there is no need for a center dial to be there at all. BMW might as well have installed one of the center trim pieces from the current 1 series.
-I like the center start stop **** and the rest of the interior only because BMW did not radically change it. I'm not into the new funky lighting system. If I wanted to see/feel those lights, I would go to an 80s themed disco.
-The daytime running/driving led rings dominating the headlight housing make me feel that the F56 is cockeyed. One thing I loved about the R56 is the light propagating through the small U-shaped outlets around the xenon projectors. I believe that it added to the innocent side of the Mini.
-The new engine only contributes to the car by adding more weight. I believe that this 2.0 L engine will also be used in the 1-series.

You don't purchase a Mini Hatch for cargo space or 2nd row seat comfort/accessibility or even practicality. You purchase it for unadulterated, nerve wracking, superlative fun!

Sorry for the rant; but the sum of parts is more important to me than the whole and I am disappointed by BMW. I had a similar disesteemed recrudescence when I looked at the 2015 Dodge Charger.

I would recommend you to go for a lightly used 11+ JCW and save your money. You will definitely find something that you will like if you are open to searching from coast to coast. Try to refrain from the early year model launches to not get caught by technical issues/problems.

Welcome to this forum again!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^I'd agree with a lot of that^. Good advice.