1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Folks - Question about a Rmfd radio Boost CD

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM
batec
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks - Question about a Rmfd radio Boost CD

So I finally bought a Mini. It's not what I really wanted which was an S model, but beggers can't be choosers, so I got a 2010 base cooper with an automatic (I know, I know), but the wife needs to drive it also.

The first question I have is about a Rmfd radio Boost CD. I have the stock standard radio in my mini, which kinda sux (lets be honest about it) and I found a new 2012 Rmfd radio Boost CD (the one with sat radio in it). I can get it for about $100, but I want to know if it will:

1. Work in my 2010
2. If it does work, is it worth the trouble.
3. Do you need to re-program the car computer to get it to work.
4. Should I get a mini dealer to do the work, or can the decent radio place do it.

Any advice from the local experts to a newbie would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock radio in a MINI is the boost system (for the US).

Where are you located? If you fill some more info out in your profile that will help us too.

The radio changed in 2011 so your 2010 will not with with a 2012 radio. (It might, but the ***** are in different places so I am going to guess no without a ton of extra work)

Is it worth it, no...especially since I think you have the same thing already.

And there may be some dealer coding needed as the radio or more than just audio, it has the car's trip and fuel computer crap tied too it too.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 AM
batec
Neutral
Thx yetti...

So is the sirius an add-on for the boost system? Thats really what I am looking to add to my current setup, or should I just go with either a internet base version on my phone or one of those add on setups via the aux input?

cb

Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 AM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by batec
Thx yetti...

So is the sirius an add-on for the boost system? Thats really what I am looking to add to my current setup, or should I just go with either a internet base version on my phone or one of those add on setups via the aux input?

cb
In my prior MINI, I just bought a small Sirius XM receiver with car kit (something like $50 at Best Buy), ran the xm antenna to the front roof, hard wired it for power, mounted it near the hand brake, and used the aux port. It worked very well for the 4 years I owned it, better in some regards (ease of channel selection) than the stock XM.

The internet/phone option can work, but I live in an area with spotty cell phone service, so it would cut in and out in the middle of songs.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM
802R56
1st Gear
I can offer up some advice, This will not be worth your time, Your radio has the volume control below the radio as the 2012 has it integrated into the head unit. you would have to change the whole center console and even then it probably wouldn't work. The car would have to go to a MINI dealer so they could try and encode the new RAD control unit that is built into the head unit into the cars existing BUS system, Your radio is virtually the same, I would suggest one of two things: 1, KennyR's suggestion of getting a Sirius/Xm unit and installing that in your car. 2, finding out if your car has the satellite radio option from the factory and buying the enabling code from your local MINI dealer and having them initialize the satellite control unit. hope this helps!