1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
darthhen
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Martha21
Just an update, Liam has reviewed the purchase order and believes it to be a viable contract. He's calling the dealer and plans to write a letter as well.
That's good!! Keep us posted.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Martha21
1st Gear
Okay, so here's what they said. It's only really binding if the dealer had also signed the purchase order, which he didn't. I signed and didn't even see a line for him to sign.

Liam worked out with them that I could pay $399/month. He thinks he can get them to $384 which would split the difference between myself and the dealer. $384 is what I'd be spending for 5 years if I purchased the Golf TDI.

So, do I get the Mini for 3 years with all maintenance covered and then turn it in with 90K miles, or go with the Golf where I own it and maintenance is only covered to 36K miles. If I go with the Mini they're getting another $2,376 out of me, which seems wrong, but it still may be better to go with that.

Any opinions?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess at this point, it's really a question of which car will make you smile the most. I've been a long time VW fan myself so I see no downfalls with them. With the price of gas going up...that TDi sure does sound lovely.

Personally...I would choose the MINI for the mere fact that you can dump the car after you've accumulated your high miles on it. If you opt for the TDi, you'll find yourself shopping for a very expensive aftermarket warranty to cover yourself for the two more years you're going to have to pay the car off. That's after you buy a warranty now that will cover you up to 100k miles.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with evasive, if the money is not a deal breaker, get the car you like the most, since you'll be putting a lot of miles on it over the next 3years, you want one you really enjoy driving.

A great deal on a car you hate is no deal at all.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Martha21
1st Gear
Thanks again, this has been really helpful in my crisis . I think I'm going to go with the Golf TDI. It's supposed to last longer and I'll always have the option to sell it, won't be locked into a lease. Plus I just have a bad taste in my mouth with Mini now. I want to let people know not to trust the Mini dealership in Stamford, CT because they don't honor deals that they make. I don't want to be driving every day thinking how I got screwed, you know?

Is there a good place to "not recommend" a dealer? People should be warned about these guys! I lost a March VW incentive because of them.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
darthhen
4th Gear
Thanks again, this has been really helpful in my crisis . I think I'm going to go with the Golf TDI. It's supposed to last longer and I'll always have the option to sell it, won't be locked into a lease. Plus I just have a bad taste in my mouth with Mini now. I want to let people know not to trust the Mini dealership in Stamford, CT because they don't honor deals that they make. I don't want to be driving every day thinking how I got screwed, you know?

Is there a good place to "not recommend" a dealer? People should be warned about these guys! I lost a March VW incentive because of them.
martha21,

I understand where you're coming from with your statement above. Car buying, for some is a very emotional experience. In your case, the Mini of Stamford, CT doesn't set the high bar here. But you need to do what's right for you. Yes, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth today. But you shouldn't let this dealership's error derail you from Mini. I personally wouldn't go back to this particular dealer.

Good luck....

Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Martha21...

You had to make the decision that was right for you, so don't second-guess yourself.

You should also know that this thread will be very helpful to potential buyers because now they know that the "Purchase Order" is only valid if the Dealer signs it...so it would be in a potential buyer's best interests to make sure the Dealer signs it, too!

Please be sure to share a pic of your Golf TDI.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Evasive
5th Gear

Enjoy your upcoming TDi - they're excellent for the money. VWVortex.com is a good resource for VW's although I must warn you, they're not as nice there as people are here. General rule of thumb, search for your topic with the search button for at least 48hrs before giving up and asking a question. For some reason they all blow up if a question that's been discussed before is asked again.

If the TDi thing doesn't work out, sure hope you give MINI's another look. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
I can't believe they would even do a 30k/yr lease. 20k/year is high, 30k is definitely going to be costly.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Martha21
1st Gear
Thanks everyone. I'll send a photo when I get the TDI.