1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a change after ordering - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:29 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Making a change after ordering - possible?

I placed an order yesterday for a 2011 R57. There was a bit of confusion in the order sheet that the online Configurator provided us. So I went to the dealer to straighten things out. In the process, one option - Adaptive Headlights - was missed.

Considering the order was placed in the last 24 hours, what are the odds I can get this added in? I have a Production number, but it's not "active" yet, to where I can see anything.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim

Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told I can change my order up until it starts production. Since it's been 24 hours, I think you're safe and should be able to change it. Don't hold out too long though, I did and I went to add on Comfort Access and sure enough my MINI started production Do note I'm not unhappy in any way over not being able to add CA, I just wanted that darn thing to start!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Thanks for the quick reply. I just know the manager had me initial the order sheet, and said that once he submitted the order there was no way to make changes. The status on my sheet says "112 - scheduled for daily". But no info on the 'actual production date' line.

The manager did say that there was about a 24-48 hour difference in what I'd see online vs what he could see on his computer. Doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What are adaptive headlights, self-leveling Xenons? Call them NOW - You want those.....

Old 09-21-2010, 05:43 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Yeah I had that status. They never really said "you sure?!?" but I was damn sure enough. When I asked about the CA, they made it seem like I could have changed it had I asked earlier, but who knows. If there was obvious confusion while ordering and this option is missing, you should call them ASAP

PS- The base xenons are auto-leveling. Adaptives just swivel into corners as you're turning. Keep in mind once you add the adaptives, you have to add on auto-wipers/lights. That second fact kept me from adding them

Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
What are adaptive headlights, self-leveling Xenons? Call them NOW - You want those.....

The adaptive headlights 'steer' around corners - and we definitely want those

Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wahoo_shoe
Yeah I had that status. They never really said "you sure?!?" but I was damn sure enough. When I asked about the CA, they made it seem like I could have changed it had I asked earlier, but who knows. If there was obvious confusion while ordering and this option is missing, you should call them ASAP

PS- The base xenons are auto-leveling. Adaptives just swivel into corners as you're turning. Keep in mind once you add the adaptives, you have to add on auto-wipers/lights. That second fact kept me from adding them
Right, I remember having to 'accept' the auto wipers/lights.

It's an online configuration issue. I can recreate this 100% of the time. I built the car online, save to PDF, and poof - options change.

If I retrieve the car I just built, adaptive headlights aren't selected - but the auto wiper/headlight option is still there.

If I re-add the adaptive headlights, I'm warned that I also have to select auto wipers / headlights - when they are ALREADY selected?!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a fluff option with potential to mal-function. Nothing new - the 1948 Tucker had one in the center that moved.

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/showroom/1948/photos.html

But the auto-level Xenons rock..... They were an option you had to add - and from the website still are for 2011.....

Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
"Headlamps using Xenon gas provide exceptionally crisp illumination and have more than twice the power of conventional halogen systems. They also feature auto-height leveling to maintain a consistent beam of light in front of you." -MINIUSA builder

Just got a 2011, I should know lol. The adaptives are a lateral movement on the x-plane. Auto-leveling is a vertical movement on the y-plane.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Update - the manager was in a meeting, but a MA was able to look up the car - it's in production. I'm waiting for a return call from a manager.

Meanwhile, I showed 2 MAs what happens on the MINI USA configurator, and how options are mysteriously added/removed when a PDF is generated.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
That's weird. You obviously got a dealer slot and that's why you're already at "scheduled for daily production" but most don't start for a week or two. It's possible once you're in this slot you can't change, but if the car isn't being built yet, who cares? Unless they're scheduling a car based on current parts inventory, but that's kinda odd

Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Also, what's your build? Hopefully you're sticking with your fine first color choice

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Also, what's your build? Hopefully you're sticking with your fine first color choice
This is for my wife Cooper S Cabrio, Spice Orange / Polar Beige.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM
cccplus
4th Gear
did you get the black headlamp housings? the bhh and adaptive are mutually exclusive. it sucks, but true... i would get it but am not willing to lose the bhh and pay extra $350 just for the effect when i think xenon lights up very well.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Same, $350 for adaptives is silly. $100, sure, but I hate auto lights/wipers, soo, it was a waste. I already got jacked for having to add in the auto-dim rearview mirror in order to get auto-dim side mirrors. Didn't get the black either so that wasn't a factor

Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM
carman63
3rd Gear
Whether it's silly or not, whether it's what "you" would get or not - bottom line is, it's what my wife wanted on "her" car. And that's the point.

Her words were "what's the *ing point of custom-ordering if I'm not getting what I thought I was ordering?" I concur.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
You can always cancel your order and make a new one. Although the dealer may no like it, you are not bound to buy or go through with your order if that option is a must have for you.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
carman63
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cccplus
You can always cancel your order and make a new one. Although the dealer may no like it, you are not bound to buy or go through with your order if that option is a must have for you.
Dealer took a "non-refundable" deposit. Whether that is enforceable, I don't know. Already spoke to my credit card company, but the charge hasn't hit my card yet.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:36 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by carman63
Dealer took a "non-refundable" deposit. Whether that is enforceable, I don't know. Already spoke to my credit card company, but the charge hasn't hit my card yet.

i'm not sure about where you live but here in california, dealer do take deposit but you can always get it back if you don't take delivery or decide not to go through with the order. they can try to bs you about it since it's in their interest but it will not fly with a knowledgeable consumer. hence, it's one reason y dealer are more opt to charge more because of this risk. bear in mind that if you do go this route, don't expect the dealer to make another order for you that easily.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah my giess is, you say the adaptives are mandatory or you cancel, I bet they make the change happen. I don't believe anything prevents the order change. I've read other reports of dealers willing to modify prior to production. I suspect they claim they can't because they don't want to waste time with indecisive customers that might call them 33 times with tweaks. You know? One change? It's in THEIR interest. Especially since you are adding to the car...

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
carman63
3rd Gear
I've spent more time trying to get this resolved than the option costs. And ultimately, the manager did try to make a change, but the car is showing Code 150 - in production.

While I'm sure I could outright refuse the car and re-order, it'll bump us out to about Build Week 46 or so. And we might not get delivery in time to use a $1500 coupon from MTTS. So... lose a $100 option, or lose a $1500 coupon? Easy decision. But I'll never trust or use that friggin' online configuration POS tool again.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
damn!
well, my experience was kind of the inverse. I had all my documentation but didn't pull it out, and we configured line by line together in the dealer's office. Well, by we, I mean me, as I commandeered the mouse. So, I forgot there were a few niggling items I was debating up until the 11th hour. I was so focused on the HUGE issue of black or white web spokes (ha) I forgot I was also debatingthe black headlamps option. On a pepper white, it can go two ways... look rad, look terrible... in the end, I forgot to consider it at the time of set-up, so it was left off.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Wow, that was REALLY fast carman. Most people sit in "scheduled for production" for a week or two. If you're on the east coast, you may see your MINI within 30 days from order
Sucks wanting to add an option only to find out you're getting built, what a catch-22 Just be glad it's being born

Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Wow, that was REALLY fast carman. Most people sit in "scheduled for production" for a week or two. If you're on the east coast, you may see your MINI within 30 days from order
Sucks wanting to add an option only to find out you're getting built, what a catch-22 Just be glad it's being born
Yeah, this car was scheduled to be built already - if I look at the production number, it reflects a White Silver car vs the Spice Orange we ordered. So what happened was, the priority code was switched from a dealer stock car to a 'sold' car. Within a day or 2 the production number should reflect a Spice Orange car. So, by the end of October, we should have it. Maybe sooner - we're in the DC area.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Yeah I got a dealer slot and that all said the same thing for me. I'm just surprised the turn around from 112 to 150, that was really quick, you must've just caught it in time. Mine, for 2-3 days, had my color as Pure Silver or something and non of the features were listed. However once it switched over, it was less than a week before production actually began.
I, too, am in the DC area. Mine gets off a boat next Wednesday morning so you should expect a somewhat similar turn around period I assume. I'm crossing my fingers and toes I can beg my dealer to process it quickly and pick it up Saturday afternoon What dealer did you get yours from?

Quick Reply: Making a change after ordering - possible?