1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old is old?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
shilo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How old is old?

I have 2003 Mini S with 157,000 on it. It's my only car. I drive it everyday... even in through the thick of New Hampshire winters. It has been mechanically excellent but it has some rust in the back above the license plate and it needs new shocks and maybe a new oil pan. Some people say retire it and get a new one before it costs me more than it's worth to keep it. Others say drive it 'til it drops. Anyone else out there have a high milage Mini to give me a perspective on how long before I might be looking at major problems?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
You're already WAY past the mileage point where it will be worth much on trade or resale.

One common high mileage replacement is the supercharger. You're kinda already on borrowed time with it, as far as how long they last on average.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I remember reading posts about several MINI's with over 200k on them. As long as you budget for parts that will be wearing out/giving up, over the course of a typical year it will still cost you less than the payments on a new one. Of course, you're still driving a 7 year old car vs. a new one. Unless something major like the engine or trannie goes I would keep it.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Well you have already made 157000 and it still running. I would fix the minor things that are wrong with it and try for 200K. Dollar wise you have gotten about as low as it going to go as a resale or trade.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
All depends what you call major and whether or not you drew the short straw.

There's a lot to be said for $500-1000/year is cheaper than new car payments, there's also a lot to be said for the less headache of a bumper to bumper warranty.

I'd plan for a windshield every 3yrs, suspension (esp the rubber bushings) and brakes every 50k, new SC for every 100k and stay on top of the basic maintenance stuff; tires and gas will probably be your biggest expense.

The car knock on wood, has a decent history, so unless that gets upset there's some things to plan for, and some of that may just be setting aside extra $$ so the rainy day isn't as rough.

If you decide to go the other way don't expect to get much on private sale or trade in value; but I'm betting that's not why you bought the car in the first place, as there is something about new owner smiles that doesn't seem to be too preoccupied with resale.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
shilo
Neutral
Thanks for your words of wisdom

Thanks to the repliers! I love my Mini... I'm going to do the work that needs to be done right now, coninue to take good care of it, and keep my fingers crossed that I will be driving it for another 50K miles --at least.

Anyone know of a Mini-loving mechanic in Southern NH?