1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 40 (9/28-10/4/08) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:45 PM
tuesday_next
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats, HTClubman! Your wait will soon be over!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopdy
bhelton, you're ummm brave to let your wife learn on your Clubbie.
Well, she's got the fundamentals...she just needs some practice. I also think if she learned, I could convert her and maybe get a Clubbie as the family car (mine is just an MCS)

Originally Posted by tuesday_next
Hello, everyone! I am de-lurking since I found out yesterday that I should be a week 40 build as well. I've been waiting to own a MINI since 1999 when I first heard they were to be sold in the US. Unortunately, I was unable to wait to order one then but I can now! It will feel like a long wait now that I know its really coming....
Welcome aboard! And welcome to the obsession. I've wanted mine since 2000 so I know exactly what you are going through.

Originally Posted by rdamico22
Help! It took forever to configure my MINI and I promised myself that once the order was in I wouldn't change a thing. As week 40 approaches I'm starting to wonder... should I have ordered the Convenience Package? Should I add HiFi? Should I change my color to BRG? I'll be so relieved when the window to make changes has closed. Anyone else obsessing over options and colors?
I haven't found anything to change as of yet. I've flip-flopped so many times prior to ordering that I know I'm set. But...if it were me, the only thing I might change in your order is the Convenience Package. It gives you the ability to play your iPod (if you have one) through the stereo with complete control of it from the steering wheel and there's just something fascinating about about unlocking, entering and driving a car without ever getting the key out of your pocket Then again, it may not be worth your $1250 either.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:20 AM
rdamico22
1st Gear
...but you have a great looking car and need to trust your instinct, wait a minute I see how these self help groups are, I coach others to try to hear my own voice , lol. Alright sticking with the DS.
Thanks Coopdy! Crisis averted, sticking with LB!

But...if it were me, the only thing I might change in your order is the Convenience Package. It gives you the ability to play your iPod (if you have one) through the stereo with complete control of it from the steering wheel and there's just something fascinating about about unlocking, entering and driving a car without ever getting the key out of your pocket Then again, it may not be worth your $1250 either.
Since I already have the Bluetooth/USB iPod option, the Convenience Package would add keyless comfort access (very cool but not sure I need it) auto wipers and self dimming mirror (kinda like both of those) and a garage door opener (don't have a garage... yet) for a net price increase of $750. UGH, still can't decide.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:08 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rdamico22
Thanks Coopdy! Crisis averted, sticking with LB!

Since I already have the Bluetooth/USB iPod option, the Convenience Package would add keyless comfort access (very cool but not sure I need it) auto wipers and self dimming mirror (kinda like both of those) and a garage door opener (don't have a garage... yet) for a net price increase of $750. UGH, still can't decide.
Sorry, I didn't see you already had the iPod option. I say go with your gut instinct, what you originally loved. This is not the time for buyer's remorse. I was debating the cost of the 16" wheels and the 17" citing the initial cost difference, then getting into the cost to replace. The 17" are what I fell in love with, but I wasn't sure about the added cost. In the end, I went with them because I didn't want to have anything I regretted not having on my MINI.

BTW, on the LB. I love that color and I think there are far more BRG's on the road.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tuesday_next
Congrats, HTClubman! Your wait will soon be over!
Thanks!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Are the weeks determined by the start date or the completion date? wurking girl on another thread said ASK MINI told her that production started this week, but they called it a Week 39 build. Just curious 'cause that means are cars could be started as early as next week then!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Folic Acid 9
2nd Gear
Waiting for this sucks. I am currently cruising around town in a 97 Chevy Suburban that I am borrowing from my father-in-law until the Mini gets here. While I appreciate the use of his vehicle, it seems like the weeks just got alot longer.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Folic Acid 9
Waiting for this sucks. I am currently cruising around town in a 97 Chevy Suburban that I am borrowing from my father-in-law until the Mini gets here. While I appreciate the use of his vehicle, it seems like the weeks just got alot longer.
Haha, yesterday I had to drive my 89 Chevy S-10 rustbucket to work. I swear every time I turn the key, it's a gamble as to whether or not it's going to start. Fortunately, I seldom have to drive it. I avoid it at all cost!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Folic Acid 9
2nd Gear
This thing has 220000 plus miles on it. The suspension is jacked up, it rides like a waterbed down the road, and the AC blows at a cool 86 degrees.

I am blessed to have a loaner car, but I die a little inside each time I step inside.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bhelton
Are the weeks determined by the start date or the completion date? wurking girl on another thread said ASK MINI told her that production started this week, but they called it a Week 39 build. Just curious 'cause that means are cars could be started as early as next week then!
My understanding is that the Production week is the week that they will start building the cars. When I last spoke to ASK MINI I was told that I am week 40 and would start the first part of that week (hopefully the 28th : ). I think that the car could start being built anytime that week and still be a Week 40'er.

Anyone know anything different?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Coopdy - you are correct. rasputinj and I were moved to Week 38 and our build started early that week, while others in Week 38 didn't go in to production until later that week. Makese sense?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:31 PM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HTClubman
Coopdy - you are correct. rasputinj and I were moved to Week 38 and our build started early that week, while others in Week 38 didn't go in to production until later that week. Makese sense?
Makes sense to me...doesn't make me happy, but it makes sense. I want my MINI now!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Brother_Bluto
2nd Gear
To my fellow support group... Hello, my name is Brother Bluto and I am a week 40 build.

Wahoo - Like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Last edited by Brother_Bluto; 09-18-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:25 PM
tuesday_next
2nd Gear
Folic Acid, you are cracking me up. Don't tell my husband but driving to work in the VW (that will soon be his) makes me miserable. Handles like a schoolbus.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 PM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto
To my fellow support group... Hello, my name is Brother Bluto and I am a week 40 build.

Wahoo - Like a kid waiting for Christmas!
Greetings Brother Bluto. Your build sounds beautiful. Welcome to the NAMily and the obsession that is the waiting game. You're in good hands with the other Week 40ers. Is this your first MINI? Have you familiarized yourself with how to track your baby?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Welcome Brother Bluto, I agree with bhelton, sounds like a great build - -and similar to mine though mine is DS and no NAV, oh and you got the driving lighs, I'm jealous! I can't wait to see what those roof rails look like. I'm still considering a DS roof, but feel that the roof rails might look better with the black roof? Happy tracking!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:42 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Welcome Brother Bluto, I agree with bhelton, sounds like a great build - -and similar to mine though mine is DS and no NAV, oh and you got the driving lighs, I'm jealous! I can't wait to see what those roof rails look like. I'm still considering a DS roof, but feel that the roof rails might look better with the black roof? Happy tracking!
I always loved the contrasting roofs. That's part of what makes a MINI what it is. On the Clubmans, do you pick the body color, the roof color and also the trim around the back? Or is the trim tied to the roof? I've never gone through and built a Clubbie, so I didn't know. There's a beautiful DS/B Clubman at my dealer. Driving lamps, and sport stripes too.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:57 AM
edjd
2nd Gear
Good Day to all.
On order: 09' clubman, PW, w/ PW roof and Black rear from San Antonio Mini Dealer...... Anthracite HLiner, Xenon, Front Fog, Sport Seats, A/T, 16" Bridgespoke ALL SEASON, Arm Rest, MFSW...
Place the Deposit on 8/5/08 , received Prod# on 8/25/08 and had to call MINI USA on some concerns I"m having and found out that my car is a WEEK 40 Build ... so here I am, or should I say: HERE WE ARE!

I must admit, the staff at MINI USA are some of the most cool, laid back and well spoken folks I've talked to on the phone in a very loooong time!! I talked with "Amelia", sweet young lady, very, very informative. One tidbit of information she mentioned as employees that they are not allowed per se to order 'new' clubman's yet due to the mass request for the cars from customers.. she stated customers come first...
which if true, is interesting to note... but I would think (TOTALLY GUESSING HERE) the employees should get some pretty good discounts on their vehicle choice(s), thus they can't use the discount till requests diminish a bit..... as an employee whats to stop you from getting or ordering a car if you want one, I would think nothing unless your losing some incentive...
right???

either way, HELLO to all!
-edjd

Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I always loved the contrasting roofs. That's part of what makes a MINI what it is. On the Clubmans, do you pick the body color, the roof color and also the trim around the back? Or is the trim tied to the roof? I've never gone through and built a Clubbie, so I didn't know. There's a beautiful DS/B Clubman at my dealer. Driving lamps, and sport stripes too.
Thanks for the feedback bhelton! My husband is in the same camp about the contrasting roof colors so thanks for reminding me and I'll keep my order as is. Yeah, they give too many options because you can choose the pillar color (only black or silver though) and then the roof color (black, silver or matching the car) and then of course the car color. I would have likely gone with the NFR but it was not available in the S. I can't wait for the time that it is too late to make ANY changes for *several* reasons!

Anyone know about after market driving lamps? I am considering this option as I do love them and have heard that aftermarket is a good option.

Welcome edjd! I'm glad to hear that you are having a good experience with MINI USA. I too have had the same and the last guy was mentioning how he wanted a Clubman.

Let the builds begin!!! Oh wait, I'm still a little early, but I can will it!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Cellardoor
2nd Gear
10 days until they start building my baby. god i dont know how im going to make it.

-Hutch-

Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Brother_Bluto
2nd Gear
Greetings Brother Bluto. Your build sounds beautiful. Welcome to the NAMily and the obsession that is the waiting game. You're in good hands with the other Week 40ers. Is this your first MINI? Have you familiarized yourself with how to track your baby?
Yup - have already registered in the Owners Lounge.

Did the driving lights primarily b/c of looks... but I think it will be functional too :-). The roof rails should give plenty of options for bike racks, etc... and also should give it a retro look (although I really wished I could have seen what it looks like in person).

Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto
The roof rails should give plenty of options for bike racks, etc... and also should give it a retro look (although I really wished I could have seen what it looks like in person).
Yeup, me too. That is why I have a post that is a competition for the first pic of a Clubman with the factory roof rails. Sorry, I don't think we'll win but it will be great to see them outside the configurator.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:04 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Anyone know about after market driving lamps? I am considering this option as I do love them and have heard that aftermarket is a good option.
There's a lot of threads on here (some with pictures) regarding driving lamps. Hella's a pretty popular and I think you can get most of what you need from various vendors on here, or like outmotoring.com. You can even buy all the parts for the stock lamps through your local dealer.

I went with the stock so I didn't have to do any of the work, although I hear it's pretty easy.

Does anybody else not have an actual production date yet? I called the ASK MINI crackline a couple days ago and they could only tell me that it was week 40. I promised myself I wouldn't call them the rest of the week.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Does anybody else not have an actual production date yet? I called the ASK MINI crackline a couple days ago and they could only tell me that it was week 40. I promised myself I wouldn't call them the rest of the week.
I just called for you (well about 30 minutes ago -- I allow myself two calls a week into them right now, this could change ) and was told that they have not assigned week 40ers production dates yet and maybe not until the 29th would I know, egads!

Thanks, I'll look into some of the info on the driving lights. I presume that the covers are extra? I agree that it would be easier to have them do the lights, though I've already pushed my budget further than it should have expanded. I know that all this waiting is their secret ploy for us to get comfortable with an amount higher than our original budget to then say what is $500 more every couple of weeks .

Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
I just called for you (well about 30 minutes ago -- I allow myself two calls a week into them right now, this could change ) and was told that they have not assigned week 40ers production dates yet and maybe not until the 29th would I know, egads!

Thanks, I'll look into some of the info on the driving lights. I presume that the covers are extra? I agree that it would be easier to have them do the lights, though I've already pushed my budget further than it should have expanded. I know that all this waiting is their secret ploy for us to get comfortable with an amount higher than our original budget to then say what is $500 more every couple of weeks .
Haha, you are dead right with their ploy. There's no doubt about it.

If you get the lights installed when you order your MINI, they come with covers (chrome lights come with white, black lights come with black). I presume if you order the parts and install later, they still come with covers because I have never seen where you can just order the covers. Also, I asked my MA when I ordered if I could get black covers for my chrome lights and he said it wouldn't be a problem (we'll find out for sure if it is a problem when my MINI comes in).

Thanks for calling for me. I like your idea of limiting yourself to two calls a week.

Quick Reply: Week 40 (9/28-10/4/08) Support Group