1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick question to those who've tracked their ships either on SAILWX or better yet Marine traffic.com. My ship (the Oberon -WW) left Southampton today with it's next port of call being Baltimore. This is where my Mini will depart ship for the VDC.

For some reason the ship is tracking north-east toward mainland Europe in the English channel rather than west toward the open sea and the America's. Seems like a long way 'round to me. Has anyone else seen this? I'm no ships Captain and know nothing about Maritime travel so I'm unaware of shipping routes but it seems sailing all the way around the north end of the UK and then on to the USA is way out of the way.

Any insight would be great!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, if you read the tracking instructions, one of the sites lets you enter the ship name in. There it will tell you which ports it's heading to and what dates it will get there. Most likely, it's heading to Brugge, Belgium, which is what my ship did before it headed for Halifax, NS, then NY/NJ, then Baltimore.

Good luck waiting my friend. It can be tough. Also note that both tracking sites will "lose" the ship after it gets away from the coast. you'll be able to pick it up again a day or so before it hits Nova Scotia (assuming that's where it's going).

Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Thanks for the reply. I considered that but found it strange since it stopped at both Bremerhaven then Zeebrugge, Belgium on the way down to Southampton and the next port listed on the Oberon's shipping schedule is Baltimore on 22 Dec., and nothing else in between. Oh well, as much as I hate it it's outta my hands.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:56 PM
captpetek
2nd Gear
Anybody else waiting for the Taiko to dock in Baltimore? It just entered the Chesapeake bay this evening....Wish I could be crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tonight to watch it go through! On second thought, friday night? Nah, disregard that! Early next week I'll be a proud owner of a Crystal Silver '12 CMS (and my '02 justa cooper but that's only until I sell it after the new year).

Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 AM
skyslug
2nd Gear
Question for those in the know: I do not see where the Kline sails from Bremerhaven/Southampton to Port Hueneme. It only shows to the East Coast. My Mini is complete and this is what he is supposed to do according to my MA (I'm a military sales Mini): Shipping Information

. After leaving the factory your MINI will enter the Marine Shipping Process (except models built in the USA).
. Your agent will receive a Bill of Lading from the shipping company and contact you with transport information and ship details if required. This will take several days as your MINI must first be transported to the port of embarkation in northern Germany (Bremerhaven) where it will clear customs prior to be loaded on the ship.

Does this sound right? Because I do not see any Klines sailing from either port to Port Hueneme will my guy sail on WW?

I am dying to track this epic journey and hope to be home BEFORE he makes it to the dealer for pickup.

Any advice or guidance?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:12 AM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skyslug
Question for those in the know: I do not see where the Kline sails from Bremerhaven/Southampton to Port Hueneme. It only shows to the East Coast. My Mini is complete and this is what he is supposed to do according to my MA (I'm a military sales Mini): Shipping Information

Does this sound right? Because I do not see any Klines sailing from either port to Port Hueneme will my guy sail on WW?

Any advice or guidance?
So, did your MA confirm that you're on K-Line? How do you know? Did you put your VIN into the search site here: https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/o...uickSearchPage to see if it's booked on a ship?

According to http://sagaweb.2wglobal.com/AppSchedules/portList.do there are two sailings to Port Hueneme: one on 12/22 (today!) and one on 1/1/12

Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM
skyslug
2nd Gear
Sorry, I was trying to figure out my options for my MINI's cruise: KLine or WW. I've searched WW and don't see it manifested as of yet. Can't check the KLine as there is no way to make sure it's even on a boat (plus I don't see any KLine sialing to Port Hueneme).

My MA said my JCW Cabrio - so this routing is confusing - is sailing to Bremerhaven first then off to the states. I had no idea it would do that as I thought it would sail straight from Southampton to the States and since I don't even see my VIN showing up on the WW cargo list I am not sure where it is (Southampton or Bremerhaven).

I was hoping it was sailing today but ...

My guy was ordered in September... I need to learn to be patient I guess.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 AM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
My guy was ordered in September... I need to learn to be patient I guess.
September, Yipes!!?? What's on this thing that it's taking so long?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM
skyslug
2nd Gear
I ordered it towards the end of September. It's a Military Sales Program MINI which shouldn't make a difference. Production got moved forward because I got a dealer slot but then it vanished. Production got moved back once due to retooling or something of the factory for the JCW Cabrios. My guy was ready to roll 12/12. I have no idea why it's taking so long; it's just a JCW Cabrio with all the packages, nothing out of the ordinary.

It will show up eventually and then all this will be forgotten.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 PM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
I ordered it towards the end of September. It's a Military Sales Program MINI which shouldn't make a difference. Production got moved forward because I got a dealer slot but then it vanished. Production got moved back once due to retooling or something of the factory for the JCW Cabrios. My guy was ready to roll 12/12. I have no idea why it's taking so long; it's just a JCW Cabrio with all the packages, nothing out of the ordinary.

It will show up eventually and then all this will be forgotten.
Your patience is noteworthy. I'm not sure I'd be. Sounds like an awesome ride tho. Can't wait to see pics when it comes home.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
It seems impossible to track any MINI unless it is on the WW line. Supposedly my CM ALL4S will arrive at Port Hueneme on January 4. That would be the Triton Leader according to the port's schedule. Triton Leader is a NYK line ship and I can't track my VIN there either. TIcks me off as it is the first time I won't be able to get a photo of it going through the Panama Canal.

The car was completed November 18 and I was hoping it would be on the Otello, but there is no trace of it there. The CMs are made in Bremerhaven so they don't usually seem to list them until they stop by Southampton to pick up more cars. Frustrating, but I guess it will get here when it is ready.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Gumby10
1st Gear
Cloud10,

You can track the triton leader through the canal on this site.
My wife's MCS is on this ship. This only cover certain areas and won't give you the full route. Triton Leader is still on the Atlantic side of the canal.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...spx?level0=100

Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
Thanks so much. Usually you can't find the ships till they dock outside the canal. I'm still wondering how the CM missed two other ships that left earlier as it finished production and was released to the shipping company Nov. 18.

Can't worry about it though. I didn't like the CM too much until I drove one. That sealed it for me and I fell in love with it. I picked up my R57 Nov. 18 and thought it would be a letdown to get the CM, but they are for different driving conditions, so I am anxious to get the CM for the bad weather days. I don't take the convertible out unless roads are dry and weather is sunny.

Thanks again for the info. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A brief aside here: I've spent the most time recently on the Corvette forum, as our Z06 is new to us. I'll admit that it took me a day or two to start reading this particular thread on "How to Track your MINI", incorrectly assuming that it concerned which Nitto or Hoosier race tires were best, how to fit a 5-pt harness & fire extinguisher, etc. to prepare one's MINI for a *track day*.

Now I see it's about how one *tracks the progress* of their build-to-order MINI.

All about context, again!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
jimskater
3rd Gear
Is the owner's lounge tracking system down? I've been trying to track my new car for over a week & every time I try, I get a message "Something's wrong, we're unable to track at this time"

Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
minimichi
1st Gear
I think my car is on the same boat!! yaaaaaaayA!

Originally Posted by cloud10
It seems impossible to track any MINI unless it is on the WW line. Supposedly my CM ALL4S will arrive at Port Hueneme on January 4. That would be the Triton Leader according to the port's schedule. Triton Leader is a NYK line ship and I can't track my VIN there either. TIcks me off as it is the first time I won't be able to get a photo of it going through the Panama Canal.

The car was completed November 18 and I was hoping it would be on the Otello, but there is no trace of it there. The CMs are made in Bremerhaven so they don't usually seem to list them until they stop by Southampton to pick up more cars. Frustrating, but I guess it will get here when it is ready.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
rdez79
2nd Gear
what does "190 Dispatched from AG" mean?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 PM
hman2853
Neutral
How long does it take for the WW track and trace site to update once your ship leaves Southampton? The ship Tristan, which is supposed to have my MCS on it, is making its way out of Southampton currently, but the track and trace hasn't updated, still saying "received at terminal" to be put on Vessel Name Tristan. Hopefully its not on Tristan's next journey a month from now!!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 PM
wolfador
1st Gear
Very cool info, I did not order my car but I punched in the VIN on the ship tracking page and it came up for me. Looks like it was delivered 12/9. Neat to see this information. I will be ordering my next mini so I can use this more then.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Once your ship starts across the Atlantic is there any way to keep track of it? In this modern age I would think there would be something? Or do I just have to wait until it pops up in port. How far outside Baltimore will it be before I will see it again? A day away or any more then that?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
blue dragon
2nd Gear
Does this tracking process work for Canadian cars too?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, my baby is ready for her ship! Now...I follow a few freighter captains on Twitter. Anyone know (without me searching a million posts on here the names of the captains that sail these vessels? I'd love to see if mine is on Twitter!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zonedguy
Hello future Motorers!
The average MINI build takes about 8 days from start to finish. MINIs are assembled in Oxford, England at a large BMW facility. The output is approximately 700 MINIs per day over 3 continuous shifts. Yes they are working 24/7 to get your MINI to you. The first 5 days of production are staging days where all the pieces and parts are put in line and grouped to go into your MINI. This seems like a long time, but it has to be perfect – the wrong piece in the wrong car would cause it to have to be taken apart and rebuilt, think about how many more days that might take! The actual assembly is done in just one day. Painting and drying typically take up Day 7 and your final quality check at the plant is completed on Day 8. Once your MINI has passed Final QA, it sits for up to 24 hours at the plant and then is loaded onto a rail car and shipped 67 miles to Southampton, England for transport!
I don't know if this has been corrected in a post above, but in the OP above it states that 'Painting and drying typically take up Day 7 and your final quality check at the plant is completed on Day 8'. This cannot be correct. The painting/drying must be done after the body shells are welded together, but BEFORE assembly of engine/drivetrain/suspension/trim/glass/interior. Then the completed car goes to quality check. It would be absurd to paint a new car body _after_ final assembly.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
You're right. Painting is done in the middle of the process. The end of the process is final assembly, where the engine, wheels, electrics and all the other stuff is added.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:18 PM
PMKNHD
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Vessel Tracking

Originally Posted by SpicyMaguro
So, did your MA confirm that you're on K-Line? How do you know? Did you put your VIN into the search site here: https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/o...uickSearchPage to see if it's booked on a ship?

According to http://sagaweb.2wglobal.com/AppSchedules/portList.do there are two sailings to Port Hueneme: one on 12/22 (today!) and one on 1/1/12
This link for tracking by VIN was exactly what I was looking for.
My Mini Pumpkinhead is on the TEXAS and due to arrive in Baltimore on 5/9. Go figure I found out the ship it's on before my MA could figure it out. Thanks SpicyMaguro for reposting this link for me to find!

Quick Reply: How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated