R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bluetooth in the R56

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 PM
MiniSD
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth in the R56

Does anyone have problems pairing your phone with this car? My new LG VX8700 does not work If anyone has a phone that is 100% compatible with your Mini, please share your phone brand and model. Thanks

Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
My Motorola Pebl works just fine with my R56. The address book downloads as well.
I had trouble getting it to pair with the car using the all zeroes code. When I switched the code to all ones it paired up right away. When the MA paired the phone with all zeroes it worked, and then I deleted the pairing and tried to do it again, but the zeroes didn't work for me, then changing to ones did.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:46 AM
emtrey
5th Gear
motorola razr works fine.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Be careful....any phone not on the "approved" list, has the potential to fry the MINI's Bluetooth module. More on this in the Bluetooth forum, and in the latest threads in "Things You Did Not Know about the R56"

Old 08-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniSD
Does anyone have problems pairing your phone with this car? My new LG VX8700 does not work If anyone has a phone that is 100% compatible with your Mini, please share your phone brand and model. Thanks
Go to: http://wireless4mini.com

Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 AM
andyde
5th Gear
My Treo works great...

Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Coffeeman
Be careful....any phone not on the "approved" list, has the potential to fry the MINI's Bluetooth module. More on this in the Bluetooth forum, and in the latest threads in "Things You Did Not Know about the R56"
Are they covering this under warrantee for you, or are they claiming it is your fault for using an unapproved phone?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 AM
ChrisSBU
1st Gear
Hi guys...just picked up our new mini about an hour ago, and we were able to pair my wife's VZW Razr V3 to the car without issue, however, it does not appear that the address book wants to transfer over at all, and the voice dialing, even sitting in a quiet dealership, seemed totally useless not understanding a single digit spoken.

Anyone else's experiences or hints?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by andyde
My Treo works great...
So did mine, until the Bluetooth module's memory became full of repeated phone book loads. Took about three months, then it fried the Bluetooth module.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Blackberry 8703e works great. Voice recognition is very good, too. But I don't think that would be a function of the phone you are using.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:01 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisSBU
Hi guys...just picked up our new mini about an hour ago, and we were able to pair my wife's VZW Razr V3 to the car without issue, however, it does not appear that the address book wants to transfer over at all, and the voice dialing, even sitting in a quiet dealership, seemed totally useless not understanding a single digit spoken.

Anyone else's experiences or hints?

1. Here is what I discovered about programming the phone to accept voice commands from the steering wheel buttons--

After a few very frustrating attempts to get the phone programmed to accept voice commands. I have figured it out ( THIS IS FOR PHONES THAT LOAD THE ADDRESS BOOK W/O THE VOICE COMMANDS--LIKE MY RAZR....here ya go------------

The first command after pressing the MSFW button is [SIZE=4]SAVE NAME[/SIZE] ( not store name)

[SIZE=4]Wait[/SIZE] thru the suggestion to continue till it says speak now--SAY NAME, repeat name

then it will say continue again--wait for speak now...say number, say the phone number connected to the name-- it will repeat number back--

then it will say continue---it will say speak now---say number (1-10) (I suggest making a list first numbering the names you want listed-the number you speak at this point will assign the position in your phone book of the name you are working with.

then the last command after waiting again thru continue and speak now is SAVE. Name and number are stored for use hands free. EG...dial name..... IT WILL ASK IF YOU WANT TO CALL AND SAY [SIZE=4]YES [/SIZE]AND IT CALLS the name you loaded....NOT PERFECT BUT IT WORKS....

That is all it takes....bottom line --wait till it tells you to speak and be patient..its slow. Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
thejonathanpaul
2nd Gear
Hey I just orderd my 07 cooper with bluetooth how will my iphone work will I have full address book and the whole works?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:42 PM
dmeadow
2nd Gear
I've got a Motorola Razr V3, as well. In a number of posts I've seen no one has a problem with Motorola phones. Bluetooth problems with other phones are many, including some problems noted on the BMW website. Mostly has to do with call drops.

Mine works fine. It downloaded the address book and the voice recognition function works very well. The people I've spoken with on the hands-free have said that my voice is clear, but there is some feedback such that they can hear their own voices.

My one complaint is the voice they chose for the voice recognition instructions-- a male with an American accent! I want Miss Moneypenny! (And it is OK if she calls me "James").

Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
I also have a Razr. My address book downloaded automatically and I haven't had any problems with the bluetooth system.

As far as the voice recognition goes, the microphone is located on the right side of the overhead unit. There's another thread that talks about how to move it over to the left side. It works much better there.

I don't mind the man's voice. Provides a contrast to the woman on the navigation system. But I'd rather have a British accent rather than the generic American news anchor voice.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by ChrisSBU
the voice dialing, even sitting in a quiet dealership, seemed totally useless not understanding a single digit spoken.
Ah hah, Sowellman beat me to the punch. You may want to check the location of the microphone. See this thread here. It looks like there is a 50/50 chance it will be installed on the passengers side instead of the drivers side of the vehicle.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 PM
roadguy54
Neutral
OK... probably one of those things everyone else knows about ... but... I DIDNT order the bluetooth option ... but DID order the MF steering wheel. Don't know what I was thinking... but now that I would like to have it ... my dealer says there's no way to retrofit the bluetooth so that I can use the steering wheel buttons.....is that really the case??......

Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 PM
artsmini
2nd Gear
Motorola RAZR, works fine. Had a Motorola SLVR, also worked fine.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniSD
We have three of the LG VX8300 everything works including the phone books, I seen a post that someone had the LG VX8600 that worked also.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
My Motorola L6 pairs up nicely, as I suspect the L7 would also.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Tharkun
We have three of the LG VX8300 everything works including the phone books, I seen a post that someone had the LG VX8600 that worked also.
Yes, the LG VX8600 works without any issues so far, including the phone book.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Melor
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was inspired by the bluetooth posts and moved my microphone to the left side and paired with my iPhone. The directory moved over and it works well. I recorded two names for voice recognition and that also seemed to work well.

Paul

Old 08-17-2007, 12:11 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
it took a while 4 mine 2 work but my Samsung Sgh-620(or modle # like that) works just fine i love it

Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM
MiniSD
1st Gear
I just went out and bought the new LG VX8550 Chocolate, and it's working fine now The phone book works fine, but when I say "Dial Name" the car tells me that my phone book is empty Do we have to set this option up? If so, how?

Luan

Old 08-17-2007, 04:44 AM
BludyL
3rd Gear
Here's my experience. I have a Motorola Q. See my thread post
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...43#post1545343

I had all sorts of problems after I had set up the intial pairing. Then subsequent times, the phone just wouldn't re-pair. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes, I would be talking on the phone for an hour while driving, and suddenly it pairs up to the car. One time, I drove an two hour commute and the phone paired up just as I turned into my parking spot. I could have it paired, stop the car to say get gas, start the car and no pairing. I would try Deleting the phone and restart pairing, didn't make a difference. It was zany.

Another thing that didn't work in my car is my voice recognition. I would hit the little button on the steering wheel, and nothing.

So two weeks ago, I started a week long vacation. I dropped the mini off at the dealer and told them they had all week to get the voice recognition working. They got it fixed but updating the firmware.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...56#post1688756

All this week, my phone has paired perfectly every time. 100%. Turn the car on, phone pairs. Finally all is right in MINI Land.

But I'm thinking of getting the new Motorola Q9M from Verizon when it comes out later this month or early next month.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
maxshrike0
3rd Gear
Old Motorola E815...works great!

My ol' Moto E815 pairs up nicely... I was pleasantly surprised that I can access the full phone book on the phone from voice commands... I did move the microphone to the driver's side. In general, I find the voice recognition... odd. It sure does butcher common words, names when it repeats them back. Ah, that mini personality!

I'm surprised at how quickly the mini pairs up with the phone, as soon as I start Max, the phone is hooked up and ready to go.

Since my clunky ol' e815 works great, I'm a little reluctant to change it for a new model!

Hey, anyone try buying an armrest insert for their phone? I presume only approved phones have inserts? Does this work well? I'm wondering if the call quality goes up with the insert, since it hooks the phone to the mini external antenna!?!

Quick Reply: R56 Bluetooth in the R56