Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake upgrade advice, please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:57 PM
oddrockinegg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake upgrade advice, please!

Hello!

I am a spirited driver on a budget. My R56S is my daily driver and I participate the occasional autocross. So, that's most of my activity that I need to take into consideration when it comes to brakes and rotors.

The thing that got me considering an upgrade, is my trip to the dragon this week. I had several great runs throughout my 3 days there. And by great, I mean, clean, and fast without pushing the limits of either me or my car. However, it seems I pushed the limits of my brakes for sure. It was kind of scary. It didn't get to the point of brake failure, but it was definitely "slipping."

What are some recommendations based on my needs?

Thank you!!!

Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
1) do a brake fluid flush, especially if it has been more than 2 years since it was last done. Consider using brake fluid rated for higher temp, like Motul RBF600.

2) get some better brake pads. I run EBC yellows at the track with no fade. EBC reds are very popular for daily driver duty. Plenty of threads discussing brake pads, read up for other recommendations.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by oddrockinegg
Hello!

I am a spirited driver on a budget. My R56S is my daily driver and I participate the occasional autocross. So, that's most of my activity that I need to take into consideration when it comes to brakes and rotors.

The thing that got me considering an upgrade, is my trip to the dragon this week. I had several great runs throughout my 3 days there. And by great, I mean, clean, and fast without pushing the limits of either me or my car. However, it seems I pushed the limits of my brakes for sure. It was kind of scary. It didn't get to the point of brake failure, but it was definitely "slipping."

What are some recommendations based on my needs?

Thank you!!!
New Brake fluid, if you drive hard, replace OEM fluid once a year (max 2 yrs).
Or change to performance brake fluid that can tolerate higher temps before boiling.

Brake pads
http://www.waymotorworks.com/07-coop...6/brakes/pads/
EBC red stuff or Hawk HP+ are worth a look.

Inspect brake rotors for wear-
If needed you can get cryo treated solid disks for more durability.
Slotted rotors are OK but aren't required
Avoid drilled rotors which are cosmetic

If you can, try looking for a high performance driving school to learn about steering input, throttle control, and braking. Good early steering inputs and throttle control will keep your MINI in the right place (driving line) and at the right speed for any given part of the road/track so that you can have more brake in reserve. You can also wear your tires less and you will drive smoother.
Why brake hard (and late) if you don't need to (except for emergencies)?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't know what your budget is but you might have a look at Plus 3a: TCE 13" kit for the front.