Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Most slammed MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by leaf_fan_1988
Does anyone know what the green masking tape on the driving lights are for?
To keep lenses from cracking and having that shattered glass fall onto the track.

-Jorge

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 07-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I know they did that back in the day when lenses were made of actual glass and they broke more easily, and even then it was just 2 perpendicular pieces of tape . Didn't think that was still an issue...

Old 08-02-2012, 02:22 AM
dubstepsteve
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tydude789
Cameron Smith, Memphis, TN-

don't know her personally, but her name is Ashley-

_JDS3049 by xstartxtodayx, on Flickr
im pretty sure thats the girl i saw last year at h2o in ocean city

Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 PM
dubstepsteve
3rd Gear
slammed mini's?
Name:  MiniCoopercrash1.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  27.2 KB
Name:  bmw_mini-L.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  74.0 KB
Name:  cb_crash.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  15.3 KB
calm down its fake

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure if I'm the lowest (pretty sure I'm not) but I don't know how you could physically get much lower. I couldn't fit my key fob under the bumper or the side skirt, it only fit if I tilted it quite a bit to fit under. This was before I lowered it about 1/4" too.

Keep the pictures coming... This thread hasn't been updated in awhile!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
dubstepsteve
3rd Gear
cool the car is looking really nice. are those 16's?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Thanks. Yessir. 16x8.5 et14

Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Does the car rub on bumps?
And do you use the roof rack or is it for looks? A lot of the old school vw golf guys around here run racks and air diverters in front of the rack like that.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
dubstepsteve
3rd Gear
i hope hes doing it for the looks cause that roof rack is dope!
much better then those hideous gen2 factory racks. very nice indeed

Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
No rubbing. I had to roll my fenders a bit but it does not rub now. I do use my roof rack all the time. I bike about 30 miles a week and carry my bike with my roof rack to the park/different cities. I also use it to carry my bike back and forth from college.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
But I do think it looks pretty good in addition to being convenient, but that is my opinion of course.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Headlights

Did you Joey-Mod your headlights? That is the last thing on my 09 S that needs to be blacked out (last piece of chrome). Everything else has been blacked out and I think after doing the Joey-Mod that I am afraid of doing (disassembling, reassembling, heating up in the over-baking my headlights, etc.) it will really make the car pop.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMiniS
Not sure if I'm the lowest (pretty sure I'm not) but I don't know how you could physically get much lower. I couldn't fit my key fob under the bumper or the side skirt, it only fit if I tilted it quite a bit to fit under. This was before I lowered it about 1/4" too.

Keep the pictures coming... This thread hasn't been updated in awhile!
What Coilovers are you running? I am thinking of going Megan Racing Coilovers, H-Sport Rear Adjustable Control Arms, Alta Rear Sway Bar, and NM Eng End-Links. That was off subject a little bit, but yea, I think that is my setup. So are Megan Coilovers good?? An import shop said they are hard to adjust you cannot just get them how you want them, then again, no one has said that Megan's are bad. The import shop recommends K-Sport COs. What should I get Megan's or K-Sport?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Joey-modding headlights is super simple. A suggestion is to take a marker and mark at the bolt that bolts the headlight to the part where it's body colored (hard to explain) where your headlights were before. May not make sense now but it will when your headlights are all screwed up when you put them back in. I spent about an hour just trying to get my headlights back to where they were before I took them out...

I would imagine there are detailed instructions on how to Joey-mod if you are worried about it!

About the suspension, those are good choices. One thing about Megan coilovers is they do not go very low. I'm not sure if you're concerned about this but a lot of people complain about it. I've never heard of K-Sport CO's, and don't know anyone running them, so I couldn't tell you!

I am running V-Maxx coilovers and I love them.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Joey-modding headlights is super simple. A suggestion is to take a marker and mark at the bolt that bolts the headlight to the part where it's body colored (hard to explain) where your headlights were before. May not make sense now but it will when your headlights are all screwed up when you put them back in. I spent about an hour just trying to get my headlights back to where they were before I took them out...

I would imagine there are detailed instructions on how to Joey-mod if you are worried about it!

About the suspension, those are good choices. One thing about Megan coilovers is they do not go very low. I'm not sure if you're concerned about this but a lot of people complain about it. I've never heard of K-Sport CO's, and don't know anyone running them, so I couldn't tell you!

I am running V-Maxx coilovers and I love them.
No way! You are running V-Maxx. There's been lots of talk about those COs, and if they are even suitable to run on a MINI because of their price point. I myself can agree with the words that are coming from the users on here, so that is why I went with the next best price. However, I have never talked to anyone that is running V-Maxx to get there word, so this is cool that you have them. I am not tracking the car, so I don't care in that regard. But I do what to go low, (may be not as low as yours, but definitely enough to get the ugly wheel gap out of there, but then again I might want to slam my MINI) and I do want to be safe while driving with these installed. Regardless, if you are running them NOW, and got them to go as low as you did, according to your pic, then I might just purchase them. That would save me money, however now I need to get a camber kit since they do not come with them. Can you give me a little more advice on your V-Maxx kit, anything at all? Why did you go V-Maxx, did you have something from before that your swapped out, how long have you been running V-Maxx COs? Where did you purchase the V-Maxx CO's- I see that you can get them at outmotoring.com, basically where I get most of my products from? Thanks a bunch!!

What camber kit are you running?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:24 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
How much are the K-Sports?

I absolutely love my V-Maxx's for the price point. I mean it's obvious you can get a higher quality coilovers by paying more money, but honestly I don't think that the coilovers that are 2x as much are worth it at all. The kit comes with end links and a wrench, that is it. I am not running camber kits. I was thinking about it and found some custom ones for something like $160 on eBay that gave you something ridiculous like up to -8 degrees of camber.

I can't remember where I got mine. I think it might have been waymotorworks, could be wrong.

They handle well and they are very comfortable, but a good amount of stiff at the same time. I would buy them again. Any specific questions let me know.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear

I absolutely love my V-Maxx's for the price point. I mean it's obvious you can get a higher quality coilovers by paying more money, but honestly I don't think that the coilovers that are 2x as much are worth it at all. The kit comes with end links and a wrench, that is it. I am not running camber kits. I was thinking about it and found some custom ones for something like $160 on eBay that gave you something ridiculous like up to -8 degrees of camber.

I can't remember where I got mine. I think it might have been waymotorworks, could be wrong.

They handle well and they are very comfortable, but a good amount of stiff at the same time. I would buy them again. Any specific questions let me know.
Here's the link on NAM, talking about K-Sport COs? BSH who sells them says good thing's obviously, but the reviews are not that great.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-the-r56.html

They are $942.50, still pretty high , they come with camber plates: http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...er-System.html

I am now really thinking about purchasing V-Maxx from Outmotoring.com. (I usually purchase all my parts from this site, fast shipping and I am happy with them.) I mean for how low your car sits and what you have said, I feeling on getting them. Again it will save me some money, but I still need camber plates. But overall with what you have said I like them.

Do I need any special tools or parts in addition to what comes with the COs? In the link that I read on another forum it says these are the necessary tools:
To see the forum that I got these tools from I need you to go to this link below and then at the bottom, "Copy and paste this url to read a nice review of them on a MINI Enthusiast forum:" below this quote is the link to the V-Maxx Review. I would just past the link, but it is somewhat broken since I am getting the link from the outmotoring.com site,
- Motoring Alliance.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...coilovers.html
The tools used for the install were:
• jack stands and hydraulic jack
• 13mm, 16mm, 17mm, 22mm, and two18mm hex sockets
• 3/8” ratchet, 1/2” ratchet, torque wrench
• medium pipe-wrench with healthy patina
• mechanics gloves
• one large slotted screwdriver
• tape measure
• 17mm combination wrench
• 6mm Allen wrench

On page three, it talks about front anti-bar drop links, and I am quoting from page 3 of that link above:

"One very important factor is these coil-overs do not work with factory R56 front anti-roll bar droplinks. The final 1” of rebound travel creates interference between the drop-links and the control arms. Shorter front drop-links are mandatory!

The last page of the that thread on the forum says that once this thread is published all kits will include the shorter front anti-bar drop links. So my question to you is, did your kit come with shorter front anti-bar drop links? How was the install for you? How long have you had the COs? Did you need any other tools that I am not listing? I do appreciate your help, as I want to get all that I need and not have to worry about disassembling and learning that I am missing a part(s). Thanks.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear

Does it come with front and rear links? and are they adjustable?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:52 PM
ericpgt93
1st Gear
im definitely not the lowest but here ya go

Name:  DSC00525.jpg
Views: 7197
Size:  249.9 KB

Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Edgargomez
Neutral
If I was to slamm my mini cooper will it add negative camber or I would have to buy rear camber arms?Because I'm doing 16x9 +10 all around

Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 AM
ericpgt93
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Edgargomez
If I was to slamm my mini cooper will it add negative camber or I would have to buy rear camber arms?Because I'm doing 16x9 +10 all around

I would get some rear lower control arms that are adjustable so you can control your rear camber. Also keep in mind with running those wheels with that width/ offset that they may contact the rear trailing arm. I'm not positive but just something to keep in mind

Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Edgargomez
Neutral
So slamming the mini doesn't give any negative camber at all?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm surprised no one mentioned Slycooper

Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Edgargomez
Neutral
Originally Posted by rustyeuro
i'm surprised no one mentioned Slycooper

You have rear camber arm and what's the spec on your wheels?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol this guy.
that's not my car buddy, build thread http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...hlight=air+bag
he's riding bags

Quick Reply: Suspension Most slammed MINI?