Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is your car stalling upon starting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thameth is correct... There are 2 different problems being discussed here.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Just to add to my previous post, This afternoon i went to my 05' MCS with 1075 mi. on it. Started the car and a a few seconds later the idle dropped and recovered. But when it went to do the second drop in idle the car actually stalled..... I will be setting an appointment soon to have the car checked out by service even though i know there is nothing they can do. But the more complaints they get the more BMW will hear about it and hopefully it'll be fixed.

A little disapointing but the MINI is not the first to do this. Alot of small cars at least these days, especially ones tuned for performance like the MCS have been having ALOT of issues with software tuning.

As i said previously, alot of SVT Focus Owners have been battling years of new ECU updates from Ford with no end in site to little issue's from the company. Just recently though a company called SCT came out with an ECU flash that is basically a godsend. Everybody who has installed it finally has their cars running like it should have from the factory along with better fuel mileage and power! And thats on an NA engine.

I know there are a few other performance cars out there that have been having alot of issue's with ECU programming. It seems like the car companies are having alot of trouble having the computer control SO many different situations all these cars have to live through.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
C4
Banned
The coding of the Siemens EMS2000 ECU software has been a royal mess since the beginning of time. The adaptive software appears to "out smart" the developers that have worked on it during the past 3-4 years. I wish MINI would be a little bit more agressive in cleaning up the execution of this software and once they get it right not to mess with it. V36 in my '04 MCS was pretty decent but not perfect.

One thing is clear. When MINI first released these cars 3 years ago, it was pretty evident that BMW did almost ZERO testing of the ECU software outside of the colder and less humid European climates. It is clear that this software was never tested in the scorching American Southwest heat or in the humid and warm sub tropical Florida weather.

MINI needs to step up to the plate and get with the program to fix this software once and for all.

Originally Posted by Thameth
Just to add to my previous post, This afternoon i went to my 05' MCS with 1075 mi. on it. Started the car and a a few seconds later the idle dropped and recovered. But when it went to do the second drop in idle the car actually stalled..... I will be setting an appointment soon to have the car checked out by service even though i know there is nothing they can do. But the more complaints they get the more BMW will hear about it and hopefully it'll be fixed.

A little disapointing but the MINI is not the first to do this. Alot of small cars at least these days, especially ones tuned for performance like the MCS have been having ALOT of issues with software tuning.

As i said previously, alot of SVT Focus Owners have been battling years of new ECU updates from Ford with no end in site to little issue's from the company. Just recently though a company called SCT came out with an ECU flash that is basically a godsend. Everybody who has installed it finally has their cars running like it should have from the factory along with better fuel mileage and power! And thats on an NA engine.

I know there are a few other performance cars out there that have been having alot of issue's with ECU programming. It seems like the car companies are having alot of trouble having the computer control SO many different situations all these cars have to live through.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm simply trying to point out that the cold start and the stumble are 2 entirely different beasts and should not be referred to interchangeably. I'm also trying to tell you that fixing one may land you the other, so watch what you wish for.

If you have to start your car twice in the morning, that's annoying. I know, because my 03 MCS has had this problem in the past and now in the present thanks to the emissions upgrade, I assume. So, annoying: yes. Dangerous: not at all.

Now if your car is lurching and bucking about, that's also a whole 'nuther bag of nuts. That may be the stumble. That is not only HORRIFICALLY annoying, it's got the added no-cost bonus of being dangerous.

These two are related (in my mind - and in the mids of others) because 2 years ago I was annoyed about having to start my (excellently driveable)car twice every morning. Eventually, a terminal number of people complained about this and MINI released a software fix, of which I happily partook.

I then WOUND UP with the stumble and have spent just about every single day for the past two years wishing that I would have shut my can about starting the car twice in the morning.

I am NOT saying that this is correct. I DO NOT believe that any car, regardless of price, should have such a sniggling difficulty as the cold start issue. What I AM SAYING is thus:

Fix at your own risk, and if it's not affecting the driveablility of your vehicle, perhaps wait a good long time before you jump on any software patches.

It's wrong and shady and wicked of MINI, yes. But I would MUCH rather have my "old", pre-cold-start-fix car back than be right.

The following users liked this post:
d500mag (01-24-2019)
Old 06-01-2005, 04:40 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Can't say I have noticed a huge difference between winter & summer. It happened daily now like it did in the winter. Thinking about it though the problem seems a little more severe (i.e closer to actually stalling out) now then in the winter.

In my area the gas choices are Regular - 87 Octane, Mid-Grade - 89 Octane, and Premium is either 92 or 93 (Citgo vs Marathon station). I rarely find the recommended 91 Octane in Ohio and to be honest do not see a difference between 92 & 93...

The dealers (3 different ones to date - Texas, and 2 in Ohio) have never mentioned the "gas" issue. I agree with earlier posts - its unacceptable to have a car that acts this way. I had a Beretta GT (first model year) when I graduated college and it stalled and revved (sp?) erratically and I took it to lemon law arbitration. Chevy blamed it on detergent additives and recommended detergent free (at that time) Amoco. It did not fix the problem - the dealer ended up taking the car back and getting me into another car at minimal expense. More their decision than Chevy - they had sold 5 or 6 cars to my family....

Makes me wonder if my recent order for a new MCSa was a good decision, even though I love my MC.

As far as MiniUSA is concerned - I bet they do nothing, zip, nada, squat etc.... In my last phone call follow-up to my service visit I gave them a long list of disappointments - both from me and my dad (he owns at '03 MC). They promised a call from someone "up the food chain" to address my concerns - its been months and I am still waiting. This is the second promise of concern and follow-up after unacceptable service results - btw I gave my dealer a and Mini a or .

Just my thoughts!!!!

Hoping in Ohio!

Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
ZOOVIEMINI
Neutral
Less than 1500 miles and experiencing the near stall

We were away over the memorial day weekend and noticed the "near stall" the morning after our trip. Now it seems like any time that it sits for a substantial amount of time (8 hours or so) it causes it to almost stall upon start up. What is up with this mini? There is no reason that we should have to live with this due to some programming mistake.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:54 PM
jbsf3
3rd Gear
Mine is doing it also...it started when I went for service about a month and a half ago and they installed a ECU update- something dealing with the exhaust. It tries to stall shortly after startup in the morning but is usually fine after that. It does seem to idle strange every once and a while when sitting at a stop light- it didn't do any of this before the "update". I'll try the midgrade gas and see if that makes a difference.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Andy,

I think your having a bit of a different problem then this thread is discussing. Your problem is cranking it over in the first place, most people in this thread are having problems with stumbling once the car is cranked over on cold start. And some of those people are having problems with their eventually stalling during that start at idle.
nope, this is exactly what happens to me too.won't start the first time-always starts the second time, always stumbles at first launch.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:36 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by holdenontoit
nope, this is exactly what happens to me too.won't start the first time-always starts the second time, always stumbles at first launch.
Same here. Not every time though. I do what Andy does quick try and then the 2nd one works all the time. I was wondering if it was a fuel system pressure problem or air in the sytem builds up and need the two time to pressurizez. (just guessing, don't know how the fuel system actually works).

Paul

Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
The last software update (I believe either version 39 or 40) had some EPA mandated "Fixes" for emissions but unfortunately MINIUSA screwed up something in the programming code and now everyone is having this problem, regardless of model/year. Different formulations for summer/winter gas seem to confuse the computer at startup, hence causing the drop in RPM idle or near stall complaints.

MINIUSA, are you looking into these complaints?
This is partly the same problem that I am having. All post EPA mandated "Fixes". It is also harder to start, needs to turn over longer before it catches. Sometimes it will stall.

Worse, is that I now seem to have the dreaded "Yo-yo" disease. Transitioning from acceleration to off-throttle operation I get a feeling as thought there is rubber, or a big spring, in the drivetrain. I get a few bounces and then it settles down. Never had it before the "Fix".

What can I do now?

MINIUSA, are you looking into these complaints????

Old 06-01-2005, 07:51 PM
sckuchta
1st Gear
My '04 MCS starts, then stalls out. Ok after second try but as I'm sure everyone agrees, this is embarrasing and totally unacceptable for a newer car. What is the permanent fix?

Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 PM
sckuchta
1st Gear
Prestige Mini in Mahwah reprogrammed my ECU recently but the engine continues to stall out.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
But you don't understand that is not the topic of this thread.... The thread is for people who have no problem starting the car the first time but then it suddently stumbles twice before warming up and sometimes stalls.

Not being able to start on the first turn of the key is something different than what this thread is about.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:02 AM
nightbirdflyin
2nd Gear
My MINI just came over on the BOHEME. I have not taken delivery yet.
I have emailed my MA.
I will not take delivery of the car with this problem.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nightbirdflyin
My MINI just came over on the BOHEME. I have not taken delivery yet.
I have emailed my MA.
I will not take delivery of the car with this problem.
Not to worry, nightbirdflyin. It does not happen on all vehicles. I would guess that you have a better than 95% chance that you will have no problem.:smile:

Enjoy it when you get it. There is nothing else like it.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:22 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
If they start the car at all before you get there to pick it up, you won't know if it does it or not anyway. It only happens after it sits, usualyl overnight, and only does it to me when it's cooler. It never does it leaving work, only in the morning.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 AM
C4
Banned
It is a small annoyance nevertheless. The car will run fine 99% percent of the time.

Go for it!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:35 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
But you don't understand that is not the topic of this thread.... The thread is for people who have no problem starting the car the first time but then it suddently stumbles twice before warming up and sometimes stalls.

Not being able to start on the first turn of the key is something different than what this thread is about.
The initial post that started the thread:
Is your car stalling upon starting the car?

This has become like a MINI flu. Alot of people on NEMINI.org have been complaining about this and well..there hasn't been one dealer yet to fix this issue. The problem mainly occurs after the car has been sitting for a long time and when you go to start it, it starts to choke up and stall. If you are having this issue please post about it. I'd like to take this thread and forward it to MINIUSA directly.

I originally thought it was just the 2005 models but my friend with a 2003 is now having the same issue aswell.

Also, can a moderator please sticky this if possible. Thank you!
Thats exactly what mine does. Starts first shot goes up to about 2k then just dies. So that "starting the first time isn't really starting. Ithink holdenontoit does have the subjetc of this thread.

Paul

Old 06-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Thameth
5th Gear

PcNorton,

Please re-read the post that I quoted......

Old 06-02-2005, 09:31 AM
CaravanFan
Neutral
ditto

I have an 05 MCSm that has been coughing at startup after idling for at least 5-6 hours. I gas it a bit and it sputters for 10 seconds and then all is fine. It's never stalled on me though. This all started a little over a month ago when the weather started warming. I live in Illinois and had no issues during the cold winter. I mostly use 89 octane but sometimes mix in the 92 or 93 stuff (91 is not available anywhere). At first I thought I had bad gas or something was wrong but it appears that this is a common fault of the car. The problem has eased some the last week or two so I have put off bringing to the dealer. I had an 03 MCSm for 3 years and NEVER had this issue - not once.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CaravanFan
I have an 05 MCSm that has been coughing at startup after idling for at least 5-6 hours. I gas it a bit and it sputters for 10 seconds and then all is fine. It's never stalled on me though. This all started a little over a month ago when the weather started warming. I live in Illinois and had no issues during the cold winter. I mostly use 89 octane but sometimes mix in the 92 or 93 stuff (91 is not available anywhere). At first I thought I had bad gas or something was wrong but it appears that this is a common fault of the car. The problem has eased some the last week or two so I have put off bringing to the dealer. I had an 03 MCSm for 3 years and NEVER had this issue - not once.
You know you can be damaging the engine by not running the recommended 93 octane and they can possibly deny you warranty coverage in the future if they find your not using the correct gas....

Old 06-02-2005, 10:23 AM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
same here. Almost everyday when my mini has been sitting overnight and I go to start it sometimes it will turn over and over for almost 8-10 seconds before it starts, and when it does, it will sound rough for a couple of seconds. I will be at an event at my dealer this saturday so I will speak with them then and see if they have heard anything about it.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:42 AM
CaravanFan
Neutral
I believe recommended octane is 91 but that is hard to find in the US. You will not lose any of your warranty by using 89 octane.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:03 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I believe recommended octane is 91 but that is hard to find in the US. You will not lose any of your warranty by using 89 octane.
That's only your opinion.

And it doesn't call for SPECIFICALLY 91, it needs 91 PLUS

Premium is NOT 'hard to find' in any regard.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
My Manual and Fuel filler cap both say Premium which has always been 93 in my neck of the woods.

Your ECU is programed to for 93/premium octane fuel. You may not feel a difference in daily driving. Different octance fuels burn at different temps and speeds which again your engine is tuned to. So if you car asks for 93 then fill it with 93. If your car asks for 89 then fill it only with 89 and never 93 as it can throw the timing off.

Quick Reply: Is your car stalling upon starting?