Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cooling fan issue with Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:56 AM
gary78
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling fan issue with Video

First off hello, this is my first post on here.

My Wife has a an '07 and the newest problem seems to be with the cooling fan. A possibly related issue is that the AC will not blow cold unless the car is moving.

In the past I've noticed that the fan will run when the car is shut off during summer months here is Florida. Yesterday when I turned off the car I heard a brand new sound! The fan was slowly turning, almost jerking (video below.) I've been looking through the forums and people seem to say that it's not too bad to replace it.

Here's my question. When I was looking for the part online I also saw listed a relay replacement. Is it possible that it's just a replay that's failing? I'm going to give it a knock with my official relay unsticker tool (a screwdriver) but is there any other way to test it? Thanks!

And if anyone has replace the whole fan, is it a pain?

Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Relays usually fail in an all-or-nothing way. It is very unusual for one to provide just enough current for a motor to slowly turn.

I'd check the power and ground connections first, though. Make sure that those are clean and tight. (Habit from working on older cars, but not a bad thing to check anyway.) If they are, jumper +12V to the fan power connection. If this still happens, get a new fan or fan motor. If the fan comes on full-time, start troubleshooting the relay connections.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 PM
gary78
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=jumper +12V to the fan power connection. If this still happens, get a new fan or fan motor[/QUOTE]

Well I connected power straight to the fan and now it doesnt turn at all so getting a new fan is my next step.

Besides that, once I removed the bumper and everything else I found out that this Mini is a MK2 and looks like I never needed to remove any of that stuff. Good times!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
As for your problem I think there was nothing I could add to what Slave to Felines already has stated, he nailed it!

When I first purchased my 2007 MCS 2-years ago my fan never came on even in hot summer, it was the coolant sensor in the thermostat housing and long before it started leaking. After replacement of the TH fans on a lot more often especially in warm to hot weather! All that time stopped at red lights, for 2 years all that heat soak.