Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

strange radio and now car issues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 PM
p8ntballa100
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange radio and now car issues!

I have an 08 r56 with the stock radio. Last year when I bought it occasionally the radio would be staticy but turning the radio off then back on fixed the static.

Now the problem is worse. On at least 3 occasions the sound stops playing completely but the radio still functions. On numerous other occasions the radio cuts out breifly but continues to work after.

I have on 2 occasions had the entire car go off and come back on. This reset my gauges and disabled my autoup windows. The problems seem to be progressing and have no trigger. I do notice the radio will cut out more when I accelerate hard but this is a very recent development.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks

Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by p8ntballa100
I have an 08 r56 with the stock radio. Last year when I bought it occasionally the radio would be staticy but turning the radio off then back on fixed the static.

Now the problem is worse. On at least 3 occasions the sound stops playing completely but the radio still functions. On numerous other occasions the radio cuts out breifly but continues to work after.

I have on 2 occasions had the entire car go off and come back on. This reset my gauges and disabled my autoup windows. The problems seem to be progressing and have no trigger. I do notice the radio will cut out more when I accelerate hard but this is a very recent development.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks
Get your charging system checked out, this is a common symptom of a dying battery. If you're still on your original battery then it's probably time anyhow. My battery as far as I know is the original battery which would make it the longest battery I have ever owned. The symptoms you're describing sound like for a moment that your voltage output is dropping below where it needs to be, this might be why you seem to have things shutting down.

These 2nd gen Mini Coopers are very finicky when it comes to the electrical system, adding an alarm or other third party device that requires voltage to operate can make the electrical system act strangely! You might try having somebody check to see if there are any stored codes, try an auto store which is usually free and you might have a Mini dealer scan for stored codes because some codes can only be found on the dealers equipment.

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-20-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Same thing happened on my first gen '05.

I had about 2 minutes of weird radio (H/K) glitches and static - then poof the car died.

Ended up the alternator died and the battery held on as long as it could (as is normal when the alternator eats it)

Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by p8ntballa100
On at least 3 occasions the sound stops playing completely but the radio still functions. On numerous other occasions the radio cuts out breifly but continues to work after.
If the amplifier (in my case the HK) is not getting enough power or if the amp is failing it may cause this as it is separate from the head unit.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM
p8ntballa100
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced the battery 6 months ago. But I suppose it could be thr alternator, ill have to check that.
I should mention that I have prosport gauges installed that are running off the battery when the car is on.
I also have the stock boost radio not hks and idk if theybhave amps or not.