Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing Chain service covered by an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Timing Chain service covered by an extended warranty?

So I started my car today and it stumbled a bit before firing up. Then it was idling a bit rough. I shut down the car and checked the oil, was somewhat low so I topped it off and started again.

Car fired up easily this time, but I noticed some timing chain rattle, immediately I thought of threads stating that the loose chain would cause issues with how the motor ran.

Now, I am outside of the factory warranty, but do have a 3rd party extended warranty. What is the possibility that I could take my car to WMW since they are local, have them perform the service, but get the warranty company to cover it??

Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Now, I am outside of the factory warranty, but do have a 3rd party extended warranty. What is the possibility that I could take my car to WMW since they are local, have them perform the service, but get the warranty company to cover it??
Yes, it's possible. Call WMW and ask them if they'll honor your extended warranty.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM
mikecb07
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest always calling the extended warranty company first or have the repair shop call to see before the service is done. This is usually the policy of the extended warranty companies anyway. In your warranty agreement it should say whats covered. I don't think that a loose timing chain would be considered maintenance since it shouldn't ever come loose...

Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea I mean, obviously if it fails, I would be pretty confident they would cover it.

I am more curious about them covering something that technically isnt "broken" but clearly is a pending issue.

I will be calling WMW in a bit, figured I would get other's opinion as well.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Sorry to revive such a old thread but did you ever find out about this OP? I've started hearing what I suspect is the timing chain rattling during start up (goes away soon after my engine is fully warmed up) and I'm covered under National Road Ready. I'd prefer to fix it all before it destroys my engine... But am unsure whether they'll fix something that isn't technically broken yet.

I'll be calling them tomorrow to double check but am curious as to whether you followed through on your repair.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
For certain years in the r56 Cooper S N14 there was a tensioner check and chain replacement if necessary. I would call your MINI dealership and they can run the vin to see if it was done. Or if there was anything outstanding first.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...00-mini-s.html

Also check you oil, most people hear it and think its the timing chain stretch when really they are low on oil.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-20-2014, 08:07 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
For certain years in the r56 Cooper S N14 there was a tensioner check and chain replacement if necessary. I would call your MINI dealership and they can run the vin to see if it was done. Or if there was anything outstanding first. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...00-mini-s.html Also check you oil, most people hear it and think its the timing chain stretch when really they are low on oil.
My oil is unfortunately (or fortunately) fine, but I had an 07 MCS before that had the timing chain replaced (not covered) and it sounds exactly the same. Just not as bad quite yet. Wasn't the service campaign for MCS models 2007-2010?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea, people seem to have a hard time reading the dipstick, especially in the 07' ( that have the older dipstick design ) flex spring coil type. Just wanted to make sure your oil was not very low. Yea the campaign was for certain S N14 models 07-10 .

You can have them run the VIN and see if there is an update , your sig shows you an 2011 FJCW now , is that correct ? Other then that you can fell the tensioner on the head and see if you have the dimpled unit which is the one for the update with a new chain.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-21-2014, 07:12 AM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, people seem to have a hard time reading the dipstick, especially in the 07' ( that have the older dipstick design ) flex spring coil type. Just wanted to make sure your oil was not very low. Yea the campaign was for certain S N14 models 07-10 .

You can have them run the VIN and see if there is an update , your sig shows you an 2011 FJCW now , is that correct ? Other then that you can fell the tensioner on the head and see if you have the dimpled unit which is the one for the update with a new chain.
I actually preferred the old dipstick design to the red arrow looking one now. The first time I checked my oil in my JCW I was so confused, I had to look it up here on the forums. I will admit that when I had my '07, I wasn't a very diligent owner. I started out just thinking "MINIs are cute" and didn't keep up on the maintenance very well. Now however, I am extremely paranoid about taking care of my new baby as well as I can so I check the oil pretty frequently. I plan on changing the oil at around every 5k miles since that's what everyone on here seems to recommend? I've heard good things about Royal Purple vs other brands as well?

But yes, I sold my '07 MCS after I had it for about a year and a half, and just bought an '11 JCW about three weeks ago. I did bring in my JCW to the dealership to have them replace the turbo heat shield, he didn't mention anything about my timing chain but I also didn't ask. I'll call back and have them run my VIN again for the timing chain issue.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Small bit of information. I love royal purple products, but the oil seemed to get a lot thicker in cold temps (below freezing). My car didnt like it. Could have been other issues, but just a tid bit of what happened to me.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:06 AM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chappybmode
Small bit of information. I love royal purple products, but the oil seemed to get a lot thicker in cold temps (below freezing). My car didnt like it. Could have been other issues, but just a tid bit of what happened to me.
Hey, thanks for the tip!