Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange ticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 PM
rlfletch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange ticking

My '05 MCS has developed a strange noise coming from the front end. It consists of a single, loud "tick" as I get on or off the gas at any speed up to about 35mph. Rolling or from a stop it doesn't relate directly to clutch position or gear chosen. It is becoming more consistent and a bit louder. Anyone else with this problem?

Old 02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you hear it with the window up or down? Window down.......I know this might sound too simple but check your tire for stones. There could be a pebble or stone caught in your tread.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 PM
rlfletch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rossii
Do you hear it with the window up or down? Window down.......I know this might sound too simple but check your tire for stones. There could be a pebble or stone caught in your tread.
Nah, it's not a continuous ticking. Just a single tick with a distinctly mettalic tone as I get on or off the gas.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:43 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
It could be as simple as a loose screw that fell into a body panel. Do you hear a slide then a tick? Do you have any way to pinpoint it?

Old 02-04-2006, 03:00 PM
soofle
3rd Gear
I have had something similar for a while myself although for me its more of a knocking than a metallic tick. But otherwise same thing. Mostly in first through 3rd getting on or off the gas. Almost always at low speeds but occaisionally while going faster it shows up. As of yesterday it also happens when I first start the car (crank.. fire.. knock... normal running) interestingly i never hear it when in reverse and never as a result of braking. Only when going forward and only getting on or off the gas.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:56 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Bomb!! It's a God damned bomb!! Get the hell out of there!!!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rlfletch
Nah, it's not a continuous ticking. Just a single tick with a distinctly mettalic tone as I get on or off the gas.
Have you by chance placed anything, say the cigar lighter, into the ashtray?

Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 PM
rlfletch
2nd Gear
Nope no roll and tick unfortunately. It is definately not eminating from the interior either. The fact that it is getting more prominate is concerning me but I'm sure it will completely dissapear as soon as I get within 100 yards of my dealer. I wonder if people who live as close to their dealers have problem free cars?

Old 02-04-2006, 09:04 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
I had this same kind of ticking, i had the mini tec ride with me. he tightend the drive line bolt on the hub. its just one possiblilty, not saying its that for sure but after he tightened it, the tick went away, it was really strange. what you should do it go in First gear, and you start going pop the cluch in and out while in first gear and see if the tick happens when you start out quick and slow down quick, just in first gear, if it does then have the services check you drive line!! just an idea

Old 02-04-2006, 09:07 PM
bdmini
3rd Gear
that's a tough one. my '05 has a ticking noise upon acceleration, noticeable only w/ the window down (passenger side) and while the engine is still warming up. Most obvious on my particular hwy. on-ramp which is slightly uphill. It's weird, but seems to go away when the engine temp. reaches normal.
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread. Sounds like it might be time to get to the dealer, gotta love oddball noises.
P.S. Have you changed out the brake pads??? Just a wild guess, but some aftermarket pads can move a bit in the calipers and cause a noise similar to that which you're describing.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Tit
5th Gear
AH HA!! How ironic...I just posted about this in mini2....

I have been having this problem and have been going crazy listening to it! I have finally noticed (duh!! I must be BLIND!) a whole lot of fluid burnt to parts of the engine bay - so I took some photos -

See Pics here

My knocking noise is exactly the same as you described. If anyone is troubleshooting their car, and wants to compare symptoms, mine are:

- a single knocking noise, when in gear, upon accellerating or taking pressure off accellerator.
- does not always happen, but happens often
- happens in all gears, usually when releasing the clutch into the new gear.
- It is more prone to happen in lower gears
- sometime does it on start-up
- does not do it in neutral
- engine shakes a bit more than normal on start-up

I have not confirmed that it is in-fact, the engine mount, but oil would not burn on hard to the metal like that, and there are no other sources of fluid in that area of the car. The car is going in tomorrow afternoon to be fixed.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:40 AM
wildlifesc
2nd Gear
- a single knocking noise, when in gear, upon accellerating or taking pressure off accellerator.
The symptoms you describe seem to point to a broken/loose/missing motor mount...especially the last one about startup shaking. Hopefully your SA will find it...good luck.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:04 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Check this thread out.
A bunch of people were having a very similar problem to you (myself included). Different diagnosis but usually the same fix. Replacement of a half shaft.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Bomb!! It's a God damned bomb!! Get the hell out of there!!!

OK, turn off the TV, put down the remove and step away, step away.... You've been watching way too much "24" ...

Old 02-05-2006, 09:52 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
OK, turn off the TV, put down the remove and step away, step away.... You've been watching way too much "24" ...
Believe it or not, I don't own a television.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:18 PM
C4
Banned
I knew it XAlfa... You are a caveman!

Old 02-05-2006, 12:21 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by C4
I knew it XAlfa... You are a caveman!
Yes, your modern world is very strange to me.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:23 PM
C4
Banned
Tell me about it!

Old 02-06-2006, 01:32 PM
rlfletch
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the links and info. I'll update if anything gets solved.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:32 AM
soofle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schooner2
I had this same kind of ticking, i had the mini tec ride with me. he tightend the drive line bolt on the hub. its just one possiblilty, not saying its that for sure but after he tightened it, the tick went away, it was really strange. what you should do it go in First gear, and you start going pop the cluch in and out while in first gear and see if the tick happens when you start out quick and slow down quick, just in first gear, if it does then have the services check you drive line!! just an idea
What is this drive line bolt you speak of? The knocking in my car has been getting slowly worse. It's now in all 6 gears, all the time, and every time I start the car. I'm gonna also be looking for any burnt on fluid like what Tit saw. Man I really hate having to bring my car into the dealer. Its not so much the two hour roundtrip cuz thats just an excuse to drive but these unpaid halfdays are starting to hurt.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:36 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Ok, i'll apologize first: THREAD HI-JACK!!

When I initially start the Mini, I hear a ticking noise that comes from the passenger rear of the car. It is steady and almost sounds like a blinker. It will go away after about 3-5 minutes of the car idling. At first I was thinking it was some sort of solenoid turning on and off, but I can't figure what it could be. I mean, the main electrical stuff back there is only the gas tank!!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'll mention it whenI bringt he car in for it's 10,000 mile checkup, but I just know i'll get a "can not replicate" answer from the dealer!!

Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Far
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rlfletch
My '05 MCS has developed a strange noise coming from the front end. It consists of a single, loud "tick" as I get on or off the gas at any speed up to about 35mph. Rolling or from a stop it doesn't relate directly to clutch position or gear chosen. It is becoming more consistent and a bit louder. Anyone else with this problem?
Hey, aren't you like 10 minutes away from the Assael BMW? You should get it checked out, err doesn't seem to hurt...

Old 02-26-2006, 08:44 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Ok, i'll apologize first: THREAD HI-JACK!!

When I initially start the Mini, I hear a ticking noise that comes from the passenger rear of the car. It is steady and almost sounds like a blinker. It will go away after about 3-5 minutes of the car idling. At first I was thinking it was some sort of solenoid turning on and off, but I can't figure what it could be. I mean, the main electrical stuff back there is only the gas tank!!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'll mention it whenI bringt he car in for it's 10,000 mile checkup, but I just know i'll get a "can not replicate" answer from the dealer!!
Yep...ticking like a watch...exactly as you describe. I have asked about it before on NAM...no answers received!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:47 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
did you ever ask your dealer about it? I just figure it is normal, I am really not too worried. The car still starts and runs fine!!

Old 02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Those pictures of the " burnt stuff " looks like cavity wax.

Originally Posted by Tit
AH HA!! How ironic...I just posted about this in mini2....

I have been having this problem and have been going crazy listening to it! I have finally noticed (duh!! I must be BLIND!) a whole lot of fluid burnt to parts of the engine bay - so I took some photos -

See Pics here

My knocking noise is exactly the same as you described. If anyone is troubleshooting their car, and wants to compare symptoms, mine are:

I have not confirmed that it is in-fact, the engine mount, but oil would not burn on hard to the metal like that, and there are no other sources of fluid in that area of the car. The car is going in tomorrow afternoon to be fixed.

Quick Reply: Strange ticking